Windows 7 Games

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Arris

Description
        Get the games that are included in Windows 7 working in Windows Server 2008 R2. These games are: Chess, FreeCell, Hearts, Mahjong, Minesweeper, Backgammon, Checkers, Spades, Purble Place, Solitaire and SpiderSolitaire.

Solution
        1. Install the latest versions of the [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=25&t=927:s31j1brc]Game Explorer[/localurl:s31j1brc] and xinput9_1_0.dll. (Thanks to AsciiWolf!)
        2. Copy the %ProgramFiles%Microsoft Games folder from a Windows 7 machine to the same Program Files folder on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine.
        3. Copy the slc.dll from this website to all gamefolders.
        4. Run the games!

Few additional files you need for some games:

• For FreeCell, Hearts, Solitaire and SpiderSolitaire you also need CardGames.dll from the System32 folder.
        • For Minesweeper you also need Wpc.dll and en-USWpc.dll.mui from the System32 folder.
        • For Multiplayer Backgammon, Checkers andSpades you also need cmncliM.dll, en-UScmncliM.dll.mui and zgmprxy.dll from the System32 folder (no slc.dll needed)

*Update*
        Created a batch file which you have to run on a Windows 7 machine first to gather the files needed. After the files have been collected, copy the complete folder to the Windows Server 2008 R2 machine and run the batch again to install all Windows 7 games whereafter you can find them in the Games folder of the Start menu. πŸ™‚

Known issue: Collecting the games from a x86 (32bit) edition of Windows 7 works, and installing them on Server 2008 R2 works too, but for some reason the games are not playable… πŸ™„ Any suggestions are welcome! πŸ™‚

Hi, first of all thanks for the wishlist cause i still cant get that game to work πŸ™
        Hope good news from you soon. :mrgreen:

@Arris wrote:

Description
        Get the games that are included in Windows 7 working in Windows Server 2008 R2. These games are: Chess, FreeCell, Hearts, Mahjong, Minesweeper, Backgammon, Checkers, Spades, Purble Place, Solitaire and SpiderSolitaire.

Tried
        Nothing yet.

btw where can i get those games.thanks again!

@fareed wrote:

@Arris wrote:

Description

Tried
        Nothing yet.

btw where can i get those games.thanks again!

We are trying to get them to work on Server 2008 R2… they are included in Windows 7.. 😐

and Please use the Edit button instead of double posting.

This works to get InkBall working on Windows Server 2008 R2, just extract the zip and then launch the EXE: http://thetechcorner.net/2009/01/11/inkball-on-windows-7/

Thanks mate πŸ˜€

I sure hope whoever makes this (I will take a look sometime this week) makes it a requirement to insert the Windows 7 disc.

Yay! I was able to do it, quasi-legally, of course.
        HOWTO:
        1. Get game files from Windows 7 and put into “Microsoft Games” folder.
        2. Get cardgames.dll from System32/SysWoW64 from Win7.
        3. http://msftguy.blogspot.com/2008/07/snipping-tool-on-server-2008-no-love.html
        (do it to the game EXE’s)
        4. ???
        5. Profit!

PROOF:

FYI, Chess Titans doesn’t work yet.
        I hope that we can mod the cracked SLC.dll above with
        http://www.withinwindows.com/2008/10/03/short-slgetwindowsinformationdword-value-names/ as a universal feature enabler.

Cheers!

Okay, thanks to AsciiWolf’s new Games Explorer with the parental controls class, ALL Windows 7 Games now work.
        (same trick is used above)

Do I win a cake?

Arris

@portalcake wrote:

Okay, thanks to AsciiWolf’s new Games Explorer with the parental controls class, ALL Windows 7 Games now work.

Yeah, the new Game Explorer version is really a *GREAT* job! I will add a new page to the manual soon about how to get all Windows 7 games working. πŸ™‚

IMO, all the other stuff that doesn’t work in Server 08 R2 is because of missing depedencies.
          Like the DVD Maker, I can’t get it to work (MP2 encoder is missing)

@portalcake wrote:

IMO, all the other stuff that doesn’t work in Server 08 R2 is because of missing depedencies.
          Like the DVD Maker, I can’t get it to work (MP2 encoder is missing)

Install Windows Media Encoder for XP (I think) which has all the audio/video encoders that are stripped out of Server installations. Not sure of the name, just do a search for “Windows Media” on download.microsoft.com and download anything that might be a codec πŸ˜‰

You might need to experiment with XP codecs, because Vista/7 ones don’t exist (they are included with Windows Media Player 8+ Redist. installers as far as I know). I’m not at home right now, if you can’t figure it out let me know and ill take a look on my home storage drive.

EDIT: Oh if you mean the MPEG-2 video encoder, yes that will require hacks I think because only Workstation OS’s have the licencing for DVD Video Authoring capabilities whereas the specific MPEG-2 encoder Windows DVD Maker uses is was only included in certain editions of Windows for legal reasons. Maybe. Dunno.

I only need the MP2 encoder.
          IIRC there was the MP2 encoder pack for Vista/7 Business, but I don’t know where it is.

Anyone notice that the “Show animation” option is disabled in Solitaire? Wonder why?

Update: It’s only on user accts that animations are disabled. Works fine logged in as Administrator. Anyone know why?

Anonymous

> Anyone notice that the “Show animation” option is disabled in Solitaire? Wonder why?

Go to Performance Information and ToolsAdjust Visual Effects. Select “Adjust for Best Appearance”. All of the Solitare animations now work.

πŸ˜›

@Arnolf Best wrote:

Go to Performance Information and ToolsAdjust Visual Effects. Select “Adjust for Best Appearance”. All of the Solitare animations now work.

Yes, “best appearance” is selected and everything is checked. I did find that the animations work when the game is running under the Administrator account, just not from my user account, so it would seem to be a permission issue somehow.

Does anyone else have this problem?

@kaborka wrote:

Yes, “best appearance” is selected and everything is checked. I did find that the animations work when the game is running under the Administrator account, just not from my user account, so it would seem to be a permission issue somehow.
            Does anyone else have this problem?

It’s rights issue, imho… Try to manually run “SystemPropertiesPerformance”…

Thanks, AsciiWolf, that fixed it. I ran SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe from the Start Menu, and the performance settings differed from the Admin settings. I didn’t know those were per-user settings. — Thanks!

Why you do not use Vista RTM’s inkball? it has no cursor-bugs and it has MUI-Support.

I have tried, but for my situation, it’s weird. I followed all steps, but Multiplayer games (Spades, Checkers, Backgammon) does not work.

The application was unable to start correctly (0cx000007b). Click OK to close the application.

The rest of the game are able to work, but while you are playing the games, the game will flash randomly.

Hi! Hope you can all help out the green newby here.

I can’t figure out how to get the standard windows games installed on Win 2008 Server R2.
            I installed
            1. asciiwolf’s package “games_explorer.7z”
            2. “gameux.7z”
            3. “xinput.zip”

I copied the games folder from my Win7 32 bit computer to my Win 2008 Server R2 computer.
            The games folder is here: C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft Games

But the games will not start. They don’t appear in the Games Explorer, nor can I start any of them by clicking on the executable.

I really just need to get Solataire going for my old mom…. its a thing she really enjoys.

Can anyone give me step-by-step instructions on how to do this?

Few problems.

You can’t just directly copy a installation folder from a source computer to another computer and expect the game to work. There are other dependencies such as registry settings, Application Data, etc that you might have missed which is causing the game not to load. Also, R2 is 64-bit only and you are copying Programs from a 32-bit installation so you could run into a compatibility issue with that. Are you getting a “The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running.” error?

I am not able to get this to work. I followed all the instructions, ran the installer, did the game copy thing, etc… but when I try to execute any of the games nothing happens. No errors, nothing.

Ideas?

Arris

@Lardog wrote:

Ideas?

Sounds like the symptoms of the known issue mentioned in the [localurl=viewtopic.php?p=4415#p4415:8oxgxzum]main topic[/localurl:8oxgxzum]. Make sure you copy the files from a x64 edition of Windows 7. If you don’t have Windows 7 x64 installed, you can also use the Windows 7 x64 iso or DVD to get the files. Search the forum for “install.wim” to see how to do this.

Good luck! πŸ™‚

After following the instructions (and copying from a Windows 7 64-bit system) I found that the games would still not start. Copying system32esrb.rs from the Windows 7 system to the 2008r2 server system fixed the problem and the games now play.

There’s another workaround to get the games installed easily, but you need the xinput9_1_0.dll file after you do this workaround: first download the attached file I uploaded on Mediafire (includes the xinput9_1_0.dll file and installation), Unzip/extract the file I uploaded to your Desktop, open the program called R2ConvGUI.exe (yes, this works with the 64-bit version as well), go to the Packs tab, tick the following boxes: Games Explorer and Windows 7 Games, click on Apply Selected Items. An error might occur (1 to 2 chance), but click OK, and click Reboot after the installation, just in case, or reboot later on. Then, go to the xinput directory/folder, double-click on install.bat (opens in Windows PowerShell) and hit any key to install the xinput9_1_0.dll file (works for both x86 and x64 versions of Windows Server 2008 R2) and hit any key to exit. After that, restart your server/machine for better results.

Here’s what I did.

Got all the files from here put them in needed spots (sys32 and syswow) and regsvr32’d them.
              Put slc in game folder (thanks)
              Didn’t have a win7 installation for cardgames.dll but did have a win7 dvd so I did some hunting…

http://blog.nirsoft.net/2009/09/17/how-to-extract-missing-system-files-from-the-dvd-of-windows-7vista/

Found it in system32 folder in “1”. Extracted to the relevant places and tada!

hackerman1

@ringofyre wrote:

Here’s what I did.

Got all the files from here put them in needed spots (sys32 and syswow) and regsvr32’d them.
                Put slc in game folder (thanks)
                Didn’t have a win7 installation for cardgames.dll but did have a win7 dvd so I did some hunting…

Why do you post this “old” info here, in a thread with the subject “Wish List Progress” ???
                The previous post is from 27 Jul 2011 08:43….

Windows 7 Games was fixed years ago….

Please read the FORUM-RULES:

“12: Try not to bump old topics unless you have something that adds to the conversation perfectly, and that the conversation can be continued.
                You can of course start a new thread and say that the similar thread was getting a bit old.
                Stickies are excluded from this rule.”

I deleted your attached image because it was very large, and itΒ΄s also not needed.

/hackerman1 (ADMINISTRATOR)

My apologies for the necropost. I didn’t look at the date of the last post. I did however look thru the other 2 pages of this thread (it came up on google in a search) and couldn’t find the info that I added about using a win7 dvd in order to get a cardgames.dll and the method in which to do it…

unless you have something that adds to the conversation

hackerman1

@ringofyre wrote:

My apologies for the necropost. I didn’t look at the date of the last post. I did however look thru the other 2 pages of this thread (it came up on google in a search) and couldn’t find the info that I added about using a win7 dvd in order to get a cardgames.dll and the method in which to do it…

unless you have something that adds to the conversation

As i already said: Windows 7 Games was fixed years ago.
                  So you are not adding anything new….

Also, there is no need to quote my whole post above.
                  I know what i wrote, and everyone else can also read that post…. πŸ˜‰

Please read the FORUM-RULES:
                  “10: Do not quote large blocks of un-needed text; only quote what you really need to.
                  Post links to quoted images as it makes loading much faster.

/hackerman1 (ADMINISTRATOR)

Viewing 29 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.