- 24th September 2012 at 11:57 #44493hoakParticipant
Tihiy just raised the bar another notch in Start Menu solutions for Server 2012 and Windows 8, with his Windows 7 Explorer.exe wrapper. The latest build now incorporates a GUI installer / patcher that also automatically extracts or copies needed Windows 7 files, and lets you switch what you want to use on the fly.
Details from the Readme file that accompanies this latest build:
Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8 (Ex7ForW8)
This program is created by Tihiy ([email protected]).
You can’t redistribute this program without mentionting me.
You can’t redistribute this program without this readme.txt file. You also can’t modify it.
If you want to deploy silent installation, refer to scripting guide which you can download from:
THIS PROGRAM IS PROVIDED TO YOU “AS IS” AND I’M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES!
WHAT IS THIS PROGRAM
This program restores native Windows 7 start menu and desktop by bringing Windows 7 explorer.exe.
Start menu retains full configurability you expect from Windows 7 start menu.
This program includes sophisticated lightweight wrapper, install/uninstall/patch program.
You can use it on Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 RTM or RP versions, any version, any language.
This program does not modify system files and system protected registry entries.
You can switch back to unaltered Windows 8 UI any time.
Windows 7 shell is enabled only to users which switched to it.
Other users can use Windows 8 shell without any problems.
* Metro (Modern) UI is not loaded into memory. As a bonus you save dozens MB of RAM.
* Metro UI screens and programs are unavailable.
* Toasts (like “You have new program to handle this stuff”) won’t show. You need to use Default programs to change associations.
* You may get more UAC prompts.
* No default language input indicator. Enable language bar via Control Panel->Language->Advanced Settings->Use desktop language bar.
* No multi-monitor taskbars. Maybe more multimon issues.
* No immersive hotkeys (Win+X, Win+PrtScr too).
* To add new user, run netplwiz.exe.
Launch Ex7ForW8_setup.exe. Follow instructions.
You’ll need Windows 7 installation DVD or files ready; keep in mind that they should be same language and bitness.
Ex7forW8 install requires admin privileges. Users without admin rights should ‘Run as administrator’ it.
After installation, shell can be configured by all users for themselves, without administrator rights.
Uninstall program from Programs and Features. If you’re using portable install, just switch shell to Windows 8 and delete folder.
Uninstallation requires administrator rights.
WHERE TO GET SUPPORT
I will not answer stupid questions on my mail.
If you like this work and want Windows 8 improved, please donate. Click donation link in the app.
(Detailed Version History in Original Document with Application).
As this is one of the lowest resource, most compact, and clean solutions to getting a Start Menu on NT 6.2, it now surpasses Classic Shell’s Classic Start imho.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.