Windows 7 Build 7600 ISO

Forums Operating Systems Other Windows Operating Systems Miscellaneous Windows 7 Build 7600 ISO

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Windows Server 2008 R2 Build 7600 is available for download. Is it possible to “update” the Windows 7 64 bit RC Iso with Win Server 2008 R2 Build 7600?

Arris

You mean you want to upgrade your Windows 7 x64 installation to Windows Server 2008 R2? Unfortunately it isn’t possible to upgrade from a “Home OS” to a Server OS. If you try it anyway you ‘ll get the error:

Upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate to any edition of Windows Server 2008 R2 is not supported. You can choose to install a new copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (Full Installation) instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs. You’ll need to reinstall any programs using the original installation discs or files. To save your files before installing Windows, back them up to an external location such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive. To install a new copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (Full Installation), click the Back button in the upper left-hand corner, and select “Custom (advanced)”.

What you can do is either do a new installation of Windows Server 2008 or install Windows Server 2008 beside Windows 7.

Not quite. I wanted to know if it possible to “mix” the Windows 7 RC (64-bit) ISO DVD-File with the updated install.wim of Windows Server 2008 R2 Build 7600 to get Windows 7 Build 7600.

Arris

Ah okay, why would you want that? Can’t you just get a Windows 7 Final dvd somewhere?

Never tried it but maybe you can extract the install.wim file, overwrite the files from the Windows 7 RC x64 with files of the extracted install.wim file from the Windows Server 2008 R2 dvd. The easiest way to copy the files is using the xcopy command with the /U parameter (Copies only files that already exist in destination.) so you don’t copy the server-specific files. I think a new install.wim file can be created using ImageX and a new Windows 7 using vLite, however I never used both of the tools.

Hope this helps you a bit!

Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.