Window Server 2008 VS Nvidia 9800

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Hardware Compatibility (New) Window Server 2008 VS Nvidia 9800

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hi there,

My Name is Ray, I’m new to this forum. Anyone out there please help me with my problem??

I’m getting a new computer from the office , a server computer Dell Poweredge T100 (Xeon E3110, 2GB DDR2-800 ECC, 500GB HDD SATA, DVD-ROM, VGA ATI 32MB, GbE NIC, Tower Case) with OS Windows Server 2008 😎 . “It’s from the office” so i don’t have the liberty to choose 😳 .

I’m planning to put a Nvidia GForce (9800GT, 512MB DD3, 256-bit, DVI, TV-Out, HDCP, HDMI, HDTV, PCI-e x16 2.0) on the new computer. But the guy on the computer store told me that it wouldn’t be recognize by the computer because of the card PCI 16 while the computer only read the PCI 4.

I’m totally confuse, tell you the truth i’m not familiar with the “pci” thingy ;).

Could anybody out there please help me out.

1. Is it compatible or not?
      2. If not, can you guys recommend any graphic card with the similar quality that compatible with the computer and also with Windows Server 2008.

kind regards

rayner

Got the computer today, i might as well answer this my self 😆

1.Is kind of compatible with the pci slot.
      2.Still not sure about this…

But there’s another problem came out… help… anyone ??? 😥 😥

1. All I need is a PCI adapter just like this one

But i wonder if it’s working, Anybody used this kind of adapter before??

regrads
      ray

Anonymous

Got the computer today, i might as well answer this my self 😆

1.Is kind of compatible with the pci slot.
        2.Still not sure about this…

But there’s another problem came out… help… anyone ??? 😥 😥

1. All I need is a PCI adapter just like this one

But i wonder if it’s working, Anybody used this kind of adapter before??

regrads
        ray

good luck w/that, d. i have heard of guys clipping off some of the plastic at the end of the x8 slots to fit a x16 card in, but i wouldn’t try it myself.

Anonymous

good luck w/that, d. i have heard of guys clipping off some of the plastic at the end of the x8 slots to fit a x16 card in, but i wouldn’t try it myself.

I know this topic is old but I figured i would provide insight to anyone who ran across this forum via search engines.

You can buy a PCIe x4 to PCIe x16 adapter to support support a x16 card, however the card will only run at the bandwidth of the x4 slot. Given the loss of bandwidth you would face a scaling issue with certain games given the lack of bandwidth imposed by the x4 slot. Also the cost of buying the adapter doesn’t warrant reason enough to buy a x16 card.

Anonymous

I know this topic is old but I figured i would provide insight to anyone who ran across this forum via search engines.

You can buy a PCIe x4 to PCIe x16 adapter to support support a x16 card, however the card will only run at the bandwidth of the x4 slot. Given the loss of bandwidth you would face a scaling issue with certain games given the lack of bandwidth imposed by the x4 slot. Also the cost of buying the adapter doesn’t warrant reason enough to buy a x16 card.

Viewing 6 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.