Why my IPV6 can’t work on Server2008r2sp1?

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Applications Compatibility Why my IPV6 can’t work on Server2008r2sp1?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

I haven’t got any idea wheather is because the OS nor Symantec Endpoint Protection forbade my IPV6, well other guys computers can easily acess IPV6,ofcause
      they don’t use 2008 nor SEP.

😳 Ah, is my sin. Anyfriend who knows ,please tell me why ,thanks~

The ipv6 networking stack is natively supported on R2. All you should need to do is just simply set up your DNS reverse lookup zone and DHCP6 server to get it working. IPv6 is mostly used in VPN tunneling though. The internet itself uses IPv4 still (aka 72.24.152.350 for example). A few networked applications like flash player, chrome, firefox, IIS support IPV6 but still 90% of everything you do today is IPv4. If you already have the appropriate IPv6 networking topology set up in your enviornment you should just simply be able to access the TCP/IP properties and “obtain ipv6 address automatically” and whenever you use a ipv6-enabled application it will just work.

@halladayrules wrote:

simply set up your DNS reverse lookup zone and DHCP6 server to get it working.

I am stupid ,can’t understand.can you tell me more details, step by step? Thanks~

Why do you need to use ipv6 anyways? Every website you go to practically uses IPv4 it is a waste of time.

Speaking from experience; you *can* get IPv6 working with Symantec Endpoint’s firewall, but there’s a bunch of stuff you need to manually change.

I recommend simply uninstalling the firewall component and use the built-in windows firewall.

@halladayrules wrote:

Why do you need to use ipv6 anyways? Every website you go to practically uses IPv4 it is a waste of time.

tell that to people in the APNIC region.

@Olipro wrote:

@halladayrules wrote:

tell that to people in the APNIC region.

I didn’t mean to say that it couldn’t be implemented, rather that our current infrastructure is ipv4 dominate. Take into account only 0.19% of the top million registered domains are natively implementing IPv6 (link). I like the enthusiasm that APNIC has pushed members of this industry to move to ipv6 and we are slowly progressing there right now by means of transition mechanisms (aka 6-to-4’s, 4-6’s, NAT64) that allows us to coexist with the ipv4 infrastructure on a IPv6-only network. We are getting near the end of usable ipv4 addresses (less than 5% remain). The current ip scheme is a mess it will make life a whole bunch easier when they finally decide to switch. But so would driving water-powered cars make my life a whole bunch easier too, despite the fact that we can switch from gasoline-powered cars to steam the world is reluctant because everybody else relies on the old technology.

Asian,

Your best starting point would be to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to see if they even offer ipv6 in the first place.

@halladayrules wrote:

Asian,

Your best starting point would be to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to see if they even offer ipv6 in the first place.

At the time I decided to change my os to win7sp1 rereleased,my IPV6 suddenly works,I can say nothing but thank you,thank you everyone.

I can download games ,videos,softwares and musics through Ipv6 for free,While it is charged on IPV4,which 1$ buy 2GB.Also I can connect Youtube or twitter or other foreign websites through IPV6,which is limited in my country.And i love my country,but i want to see more,that’s all.

By the way,do you have any HDB or other popular PT websites’s invitation code 😛
      Omg,HDB may ban our IP. 😳

@Olipro wrote:

Speaking from experience; you *can* get IPv6 working with Symantec Endpoint’s firewall, but there’s a bunch of stuff you need to manually change.

I recommend simply uninstalling the firewall component and use the built-in windows firewall.

You may be right, I uninstalled my SEP,and days latter,IPV6 suddenly works,thanks. :mrgreen:

@Asian wrote:

@Olipro wrote:

You may be right, I uninstalled my SEP,and days latter,IPV6 suddenly works,thanks. :mrgreen:

Great news. Glad you got it working.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.