What happens when SP1 is released?

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous What happens when SP1 is released?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #44199

      Anyone care to speculate how our systems will fare when upgrading to 2008 R2 SP1?
      I’m referring specifically to a number of the packs, etc. that installed Win7 RTM binaries on 2K8R2. Will everything “just work”, or will there be incompatibility between the new core OS binaries and the older Win7 RTM binaries? I’m guessing some cases of that will be seen, especially with some of the larger packs. Hopefully we don’t have to uninstall those packs before installing SP1.

    • #51642

      I installed SP1 on my main PC that runs R2 Workstation and seems to be fully working.

      You’ll need to patch uxtheme again,that’s all I noticed.

      I am waiting for the SP1 RTM iso’s direct from M$ to check out all files carefully.

      Regards,

      N 🙂

    • #51643
      hoak
      Participant

      I haven’t really been following ‘what’s in SP1‘ — are there any new features in SP1 ExpertUser or is this more like one of Mirosoft’s update ‘roll-ups‘?

      😕

    • #51641

      @hoak wrote:

      I haven’t really been following ‘what’s in SP1‘ — are there any new features in SP1 ExpertUser or is this more like one of Mirosoft’s update ‘roll-ups‘?

      😕

      It’s big stuff to install…… 😆 😆 😆

      I have both running with and without and have not noticed that much difference.

      To resume :

      SP1 contains changes that are focused on addressing specific reliability, performance, and compatibility issues, supporting new types of hardware, and adding support for several emerging standards. SP1 also continues to improve upon the IT administration experience. SP1 is not intended to be a vehicle for releasing new features; however, some existing components do gain slightly enhanced functionality in SP1.

      😆 😆 😆 😆

      That comment is all over the web….. 😆

      From a TechNet Blog :

      Released Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
      Hyper-V for this package is notable primarily long-awaited advent of dynamic memory functions and capabilities RemoteFX. We are deep enough reviewed both technologies in the past articles, now let’s talk about something else. In addition to the announced two innovations in Service Pack 1 includes all updates previously unreleased for Hyper-V R2. Support for new Nehalem processors and Westmere, correction of the VSS, and so on. Combo will be available tomorrow by Microsoft.

      Unexpected, but pleasant announcement was an increase in the rating for possible total number of virtual processors to the number of logical processors on the system. As we remember, before the value of support is 8:1. With the release of the first service pack, this value increased to 12:1 for the problems of VDI to use on a server virtualization only guest operating systems with Windows 7 Service Pack 1. Details can be seen from the following article in TechNet. What gives? Now on a dual-server with the new processors Xeon Westmere can run up to 144 virtual machines! Not for nothing at TechEd commented that the density in VDI problems increased by 40% with SP1. Let me draw your attention – change is the only client SKU. This change will support the ratio of the sum of virtual processors to the number of logical processors does not affect the maximum possible value of the number of virtual CPUs per virtual machine, here has not changed.

      Best is you install it and check the difference.

      Regards,

      ExpertUser 😎

    • #51644

      @shoek wrote:

      Anyone care to speculate how our systems will fare when upgrading to 2008 R2 SP1?
      I’m referring specifically to a number of the packs, etc. that installed Win7 RTM binaries on 2K8R2. Will everything “just work”, or will there be incompatibility between the new core OS binaries and the older Win7 RTM binaries? I’m guessing some cases of that will be seen, especially with some of the larger packs. Hopefully we don’t have to uninstall those packs before installing SP1.

      Don’t worry…
      I’m going to make a new installers of my packs, updated with files from Windows 7 SP1! 😉

    • #51645

      @AsciiWolf wrote:

      Don’t worry…
      I’m going to make a new installers of my packs, updated with files from Windows 7 SP1! 😉

      Cool Ascii, TY.

      I’ll check MUI part then for you. 😀

      Regards,

      N 🙂

    • #51640

      Well, here are the new packs:

      Windows Sidebar SP1 – here
      Games Explorer SP1 – here
      Bluetooth SP1 (should have Bluetooth 3 support) – here

      😉

    • #51646

      @AsciiWolf wrote:

      Well, here are the new packs:

      Windows Sidebar SP1 – here
      Games Explorer SP1 – here
      Bluetooth SP1 (should have Bluetooth 3 support) – here

      😉

      TY Ascii ! 😎

      I will start updating W7PacksR2 and R2ConvGUI. 😉

      N & Team

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.