Webcam in Server 2008 R2

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Hardware Compatibility Webcam in Server 2008 R2

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Heya,

So I installed Server 2008 R2 complimentary of DreamSpark. Great OS. Works for all my needs as a file server and more. Prior to 08R2, I ran a non-Server Windows OS with a webcam surveillance. I liked it a lot. I’d love to have it back again. But Server 2008 R2 doesn’t seem to like webcams nor their software. So I’m looking to find out how to get a webcam (I’m using a MS VX5000 Life Cam) working in Server 2008 R2. I tried installing the LifeCame 3.0 software and it errored due to incompatibility with the OS but finished. But it fails to launch at all. Other software fails to launch or load a cam.

So looking for help.

What do I need to do to get Server 2008 R2 to be friendly with webcams?

Thanks!

Very best,

Anonymous

Hi MalVeauX

If everything fails regarding your Webcam you could try installing your old OS on a virtual machine using VMware, by doing that you could plugin and install and use the Webcam from there, It may not be the best solution but it actually works.

Sometimes software and devices just don’t want to work with certain OSes, and that’s really a shame.

Give it a try!

Anonymous

Hi MalVeauX

If everything fails regarding your Webcam you could try installing your old OS on a virtual machine using VMware, by doing that you could plugin and install and use the Webcam from there, It may not be the best solution but it actually works.

Sometimes software and devices just don’t want to work with certain OSes, and that’s really a shame.

Give it a try!

Arris

Dark Server 2008’s solution is really a final workaround but do you at least see the webcam driver software installed in the Device Manager (Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc)? If not, the setup probably isn’t able to detect any not-installed devices and therefore doesn’t download a driver for it. The only solution I can think of is to install the webcam on a Windows 7 x64 (virtual) machine and extract it using for example Driver Genius. After copying the backed-up driver to your Windows Server 2008 R2 machine, go to the Device Manager and select update driver after which you select the copied folder to install the driver from.

Also make sure you have the Desktop Experience feature installed as it comes with much support for all those kind of multimedia devices.

Hope this helps so you don’t have to use a VM to get your cam working!

Anonymous

Dark Server 2008’s solution is really a final workaround but do you at least see the webcam driver software installed in the Device Manager (Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc)? If not, the setup probably isn’t able to detect any not-installed devices and therefore doesn’t download a driver for it. The only solution I can think of is to install the webcam on a Windows 7 x64 (virtual) machine and extract it using for example Driver Genius. After copying the backed-up driver to your Windows Server 2008 R2 machine, go to the Device Manager and select update driver after which you select the copied folder to install the driver from.

Also make sure you have the Desktop Experience feature installed as it comes with much support for all those kind of multimedia devices.

Hope this helps so you don’t have to use a VM to get your cam working!

I have a different MS webcam (VX 1000 or 3000, I forget), and your problem with the LifeCam software is likely due to missing .net runtime 3.0. Just go to server manager and install .net 3.0 and LifeCam should install.

Back in 2008 R1 (or in XP, I forget), I didn’t install LifeCam but extracted its content and told device manager to find the driver from the extract directory. May work in R2, too, but didn’t try.

Anonymous

I have a different MS webcam (VX 1000 or 3000, I forget), and your problem with the LifeCam software is likely due to missing .net runtime 3.0. Just go to server manager and install .net 3.0 and LifeCam should install.

Back in 2008 R1 (or in XP, I forget), I didn’t install LifeCam but extracted its content and told device manager to find the driver from the extract directory. May work in R2, too, but didn’t try.

My webcam is built into my laptop…but I noticed that while the drivers would not work for it….using MSN or Skype or whichever it actually works fine. perhaps see if it works for you, despite the erros you receive from the software?

Anonymous

My webcam is built into my laptop…but I noticed that while the drivers would not work for it….using MSN or Skype or whichever it actually works fine. perhaps see if it works for you, despite the erros you receive from the software?

I have got the same problem as MalVeauX. My webcam is a Logitech QuickCam Sphere AF. I have extracted the drivers from my Windows 7 x64 setup using Driver Genius, but Windows Server 2008 R2 refused to install them. Yes I have Desktop Experience enable and I have also enable .netFramework3.5.1. Anybody can suggest something else to try?

Anonymous

I have got the same problem as MalVeauX. My webcam is a Logitech QuickCam Sphere AF. I have extracted the drivers from my Windows 7 x64 setup using Driver Genius, but Windows Server 2008 R2 refused to install them. Yes I have Desktop Experience enable and I have also enable .netFramework3.5.1. Anybody can suggest something else to try?

I have a microsoft lifecam, and didnt even need to install drivers for it.

Make sure the WIA service is running.

Anonymous

I have a microsoft lifecam, and didnt even need to install drivers for it.

Make sure the WIA service is running.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.