W7 PACKS FOR R2 – THE APPLICATION – v.1.1 – 30/08/11

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous W7 PACKS FOR R2 – THE APPLICATION – v.1.1 – 30/08/11

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author

W7 PACKS FOR R2 – THE APPLICATION – v.1.1 – 30/08/11

Hi ! 🙂

With my friends Fibonacci and Secr9tos, that are developers over at W7V, we have decided to give Asciiwolf’s W7 packs for R2 and the Game Pack from Arris a GUI and also a silent install switch option.

Please note that Desktop Experience Feature is required for Sticky Notes !!!!!

30/08/2011 :

* Removed some dll’s that had nothing to do in packs
      * Added “some lines” in Games Explorer Script (TY Ascii 😉 )

How does it work ? 💡

You run W7packsR2.exe from R2 direct and choose the W7 Packs you wish to install

or

You run the whole pack with silent switch this way W7packsR2.exe /silent it will then install all W7 Packs

I have put together 2 editions, an English one and one for the other languages.

1.0 (No Bluetooth Stack and System Restore)

W7PacksR2_1.0_SP1_English.rar (97.8 MB)

W7PacksR2_1.0_SP1_Mui.rar (109.2 MB)

1.1 (with Bluetooth Stack and System Restore)

W7PacksR2_1.1_SP1_English.rar (100.7 MB)

W7PacksR2_1.1_SP1_Mui.rar (113.8 MB)

https://mega.co.nz/#F!hQJhRJhZ!TRyz2hGcj3R1EflDGPRgZA

😎

Enjoy it.

Regards,

ExpertUser 😉

PS : Many thanx to Ascii, Arris, halladayrules, Fibonacci and Secr9tos 😉

Looks “alright”. Add an icon to the mix and an “apply all settings” button as well maybe? What do you think of that idea? Is that possible to do? I’m a dummy in programming sorry lol

Good job!

p.s. The DirectMusic installer, included in your pack, is an old version. Please include this new version of my MS DirectMusic installer in your pack.

p.s.2 It looks like, the Games Explorer installer included in your pack has one issue – the Games Explorer is not fully enabled by default on any user account, because the “HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionGameUXuser_id”, which is used for manually created game entries, is missing. Using my installer, you must run the “user_install.cmd” script after installing Games Explorer, on every account, you want to use Games Explorer on. The user_install.cmd script calls the “sid_regfile.vbs”, which finds out the SID of a currently logged on user and creates the “HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionGameUXuser_id” registry directory, where “user_id” is a SID of a currently logged on user. Then the script calls the regfile_permissions.vbs script, which sets a read/write permissions (using Open Source SetACL.exe tool) for the currently logged-on user, for his (“HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionGameUXuser_id”) directory. Please, implement it in your pack.

Anyway, great work!

Hi Ascii,

Thanks for the feedback. 🙂

I forwarded to Fibonacci and Secr9tos the 2 issues you mentioned.

We will correct it and post newer version when we are done.

Regards,

ExpertUser 😉

Hi Ascii !

We fixed the new Dmusic pack, I’ll test it over the weekend.

In what concerns Games Explorer, I spoke with Fibonacci and Secr9tos and if I understood right, in batch file, they set Games Explorer to work on all profiles. Indeed when you reboot you do not have Games in Start Menu automatically added but it can be added manually through Properties.

We wanted to make it work on all profiles directly without using 2 seperate batches therefor we made it this way. I do not have extra information on it, but if does not comply with your initial work, I’ll be happy to get you in touhc with secr9tos for the technical part of all this.

Please let me know Ascii. 😉 😉 😉 😉

Regards,

ExpertUser

Looks interesting; might try it on the weekend. 🙂

@ExpertUser wrote:

Hi Ascii !

We fixed the new Dmusic pack, I’ll test it over the weekend.

In what concerns Games Explorer, I spoke with Fibonacci and Secr9tos and if I understood right, in batch file, they set Games Explorer to work on all profiles. Indeed when you reboot you do not have Games in Start Menu automatically added but it can be added manually through Properties.

We wanted to make it work on all profiles directly without using 2 seperate batches therefor we made it this way. I do not have extra information on it, but if does not comply with your initial work, I’ll be happy to get you in touhc with secr9tos for the technical part of all this.

Please let me know Ascii. 😉 😉 😉 😉

Regards,

ExpertUser

I found out that the second batch file is needed only on user accounts that were created before the Games Explorer was installed.
      It works well on all newly created accounts – just like in Windows 7. So I edited the installer, deleted the second batch file and added it to a separate zip file as an “optional bugfix”.

Hi Ascii !

Thank you for the feedback. 😉

We updated the pack with new Dmusic pack and changed GUI to final version.

I ran tests of all packs on R2 SP1 and till now all seems to be working and fine.

Enjoy it.

N

Cool!
      p.s. It would be a nice idea to add some “desktop tuning” features just like the Server 2008 R1 Converter have.

@AsciiWolf wrote:

Cool!
      p.s. It would be a nice idea to add some “desktop tuning” features just like the Server 2008 R1 Converter have.

Indeed Ascii !

That will be next step of the tool. I am collecting and preparing the stuff for Secr9tos and Fibonacci for them.

We will post when done.

N

I’m going to go ahead and sticky this; I think a lot of people may find this useful for R2. 🙂

TY xxcom9a ! 😉

I have good news. 🙂

With Fibonacci and Secr9tos we are going to extend the tool as Ascii suggested.

Work has begun. At the moment I have no precise release date.

I’ll post when we get a beta ready for testing.

Regards,

N 😉

Arris

Looks very useful, good job guys! :geek: Added a reference to this topic to the main page of Win2008R2Workstation.com 🙂

Would you like to include my system restore fix in the mix as well?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VKE7O03T

@halladayrules wrote:

Would you like to include my system restore fix in the mix as well?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VKE7O03T

Yups !

It’s in it too.

Regards,

N 😉

@ExpertUser wrote:

Yups !

It’s in it too.

Regards,

N 😉

And my Bluetooth? ^^

@AsciiWolf wrote:

@ExpertUser wrote:

Yups !

It’s in it too.

Regards,

N 😉

And my Bluetooth? ^^

Yes Ascii.

We are currently working on it, we hope to have a beta next week.

N 😉

1st post updated !

Regards,

N 😎

When applying pack “System Restore”

“A code 1 error has occured.” Though the program appears to have installed successfully.

It might be because I already pre-installed it through command-line earlier. I uninstalled it and then tried applying the patch. Can somebody else who has never installed System Restore pack verify this error message?

@halladayrules wrote:

When applying pack “System Restore”

“A code 1 error has occured.” Though the program appears to have installed successfully.

It might be because I already pre-installed it through command-line earlier. I uninstalled it and then tried applying the patch. Can somebody else who has never installed System Restore pack verify this error message?

😯

Hi !

I checked this out !

On a R2 with Desktop Exp and Framework Features installed only it works perfectly.

In batch we added DISM command to enable Server Backup Feature so Sys Restore works.

But that one has no error report back function on DISM command.

Let me know how it works out.

N 😉

Correct. The .NET Framework desktop feature is required to be installed before System Restore can be used. Does the pack automatically install .NET if it isn’t installed on the user’s machine? Great work.

@halladayrules wrote:

Correct. The .NET Framework desktop feature is required to be installed before System Restore can be used. Does the pack automatically install .NET if it isn’t installed on the user’s machine? Great work.

No it does not, as we assumed that users would install that feature in anyway.

So we only concentrated on Server Backup feature.

Command line can be added to batch file easily.

I am going to check this out !

Regards,

N 😎

I checked the Framework 3.5 feature issue out.

You can install Sys Restore without it.

You’ll only need to configure it once installed.

I tested it. 😎

Regards,

N 😉

I see. I remember in an earlier post a user reported an “SPP.dll” error when trying to create a restore point. It must have been due to the fact they didnt have WSB feature installed. Thanks for your detective work.

Reliability Monitor is already included with the Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system. The problem instead is that the task to enable monitoring is disabled.

You can enable it by doing the following:

Click on Start > Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler

Expand Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > RAC

Right-click on RacTask and choose Properties.
        Go to the Triggers tab.
        Click “One time” trigger and click Edit…
        Place at check box next to enabled below.
        Click OK twice to apply changes.

It’s possible to export this task via an xml file and upload it via schtasks command-line but every task is mapped to your own personal SID which is different on everyones machine so i am unable to find out if its possible to do this automatically.

Interesting ! 🙄

I’ll ask Secr9tos and Fibonacci to take a look at this matter.

I will let you know.

By the way W7PacksR2 Extended Version is in good progress.

I hope to have beta for testing very soon on here.

Regards,

N 😉

@halladayrules wrote:

Reliability Monitor is already included with the Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system. The problem instead is that the task to enable monitoring is disabled.

Go to the Triggers tab.

It’s possible to export this task via an xml file and upload it via schtasks command-line but every task is mapped to your own personal SID which is different on everyones machine so i am unable to find out if its possible to do this automatically.

If you have imported my .reg file, you don’t need to enable this Task manually.
        The only thing you need to do is to start the task manually for the first time. From that moment (next time), it will be started automatically… 😉

@AsciiWolf wrote:

@halladayrules wrote:

Go to the Triggers tab.

If you have imported my .reg file, you don’t need to enable this Task manually.
        The only thing you need to do is to start the task manually for the first time. From that moment (next time), it will be started automatically… 😉

Hi Ascii !

In W7PacksR2 we did in import your reg file. So it should be ok.

Regards,

N 😉

Hi !

19/12/2010 -> I updated MUI packs because in M$ Games I noticed whiles preparing components for R2ConvGUI, that some files had nothing to do there, therefor the packs are smaller now. No worries previous packs still work. Sorry about that ! 😕

Regards,

ExpertUser 😉

Viewing 28 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.