USERNAME & PASSWORD

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous USERNAME & PASSWORD

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hello dear friends,

I have a problem.
      Just installed Windows server 2008 on a third PC. I have no experience in networking by the way.
      The other 2 PC’s are running Windows 7. I can connect with this PC to the other PC in the network by just giving the network password (the one generated in Windows 7).
      The domain is homegroup.

Problem:
      The third new PC, the Windows server 2008 is running perfectly and I when I go to Network I see my other Windows computers like 4500-PC and 4600-PC in the Network window.
      sofar everything fine but ….
      If I click on on of these PC’s let’s say 4500-PC, Windows server 2008 ask for a username and a password.

I tried to give here as username 4500 also tried 4500-PC + the network password generated in Windows 7 for Homegroup. But …. I get the message “Logon unsuccessful.

What do I have to fill out as username and as password and where can I find them on the other PC’s (the windows 7 machines)?

Thanks a lot in advance for the help.

Username: Osama Bin Laden
      Password: DEAD

USA! USA! USA!

Sorry I’m American. Much love to all my friends overseas, (Arris for example). That b**tard deserved to die.

Please clarify your situation for me.

1. By domain are you talking about an actual domain controller (with Active Directory) or the WORKGROUP name (non-domain)?

2. Click on Start button. Right-click on Computer and choose Properties.

Does it say Workgroup: Homegroup
      or

Domain: Homegroup ?

3. By “windows server 2008” i assume you mean R2 correct? Are you running Server 2008 or Server 2008 R2. Please clarify.

The reason i ask these questions is i’m not sure if you are trying to get the Windows 7 “homegroup” feature to work on Server 2008 or if you are trying to access a network share.

Currently the homegroup feature is not supported nor have we found a workable solution to connect a windows server machine to a Windows 7 homegroup. So if that is your question, then your answer is no.

If you are trying to connect to a network share (aka //5400-PC/Share) just make sure you have Network discovery enabled on both your 2008 box and the 7 box by clicking Start > Network > Network and Sharing Center and turn on Network Discovery from there.

Keep in mind accessing a network share is different from accessing a homegroup share. Homegroup is a proprietary technology that only works with Windows 7 computers only. Windows Server is NOT supported right now nor have we found a way to get it to work properly on this website.

Hope I have answered some of your concerns.

Dear Halladayrukes!
      Thanks a lot for your responce and your fantastic help which is really greatly appriciated!
      I will first answer your questions.

First question: It say :workgroup: homegroup

Second question: I am running windows standard server with servicepack 2.

It is strange because I can see the other PC’s “network” from Windows server 2008. More when I press on it it asks for username and password.

I would like to access the windows server2008 from the windows 7 PC’s
      Is there another solution?

Thanks so much in advance!

@windows1250 wrote:

Dear Halladayrukes!
      Thanks a lot for your responce and your fantastic help which is really greatly appriciated!
      I will first answer your questions.

First question: It say :workgroup: homegroup

Second question: I am running windows standard server with servicepack 2.

It is strange because I can see the other PC’s “network” from Windows server 2008. More when I press on it it asks for username and password.

I would like to access the windows server2008 from the windows 7 PC’s
      Is there another solution?

Thanks so much in advance!

Network discovery allows your server 2008 machine to be discovered by other computers on the network, but it also makes you visible as well. The default settings require that you enter a username and password. If you want to change this requirement so that when you click on the server 2008 box it goes to a list of available shares, just turn off password protected sharing in Network and Sharing Center.

1. Click Start and choose Network.

2. Click on Network and Sharing Center at the top.

3. Under Sharing and Discovery turn on Public folder sharing. You can choose either one.

4. Under Password protected sharing, change it to “Turn off password protected sharing”

5. Apply the changes.

6. Log onto a Windows 7 machine and you should be able to access the Server 2008 machine without being prompted for a password.

You must have network discovery on if you wish to not require a password when connecting to your 2008 machine.

Dear Halladayrukes!
      Thanks again for your wonderful help. I appriciate this so much!

Your solution to turn on networkdiscovery and turn off password protected sharing works fantastic (when I turnoff password protected sharing).

But if I leave password protected sharing on. Then the server asks for a username and password.
      What do I have to fill out here?
      On my windows PC I don’t use a password to login.

Is this for example name of pc and network password? I tried but that is not working.
      Where can I find the username and password to login from my server 2008 to the windows machines?

Thanks a lot for your precious help dear Halladayrukes!

PS later I need to install a remote desktop but I will first try to find it out myself and if I can’t I will have to ask it again 😉

Dear Halladayrukes!

I was to fast to tell that it works.

Now I can open the Windows 7 pc and see the shared folders but when I try to look in that folder I get the following message in Windows server 2008:
      Windows can not access \4500-PCD op samsung

I can access only the folder 4500-PC – users – Public.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks a lot in advance !

Go to the “samsung” folder you wish to share right-click on it and choose Share…

In the Choose people to share with option, click the drop down arrow below and choose “Everyone”

If you want other computers on the network to be able to read, modify, delete files choose “Co-owner” otherwise just choose the default read-only permissions (Reader).

Click on Share.

Go to a windows 7 machine and you should see the share listed when you click on your server 2008 machine.

dear Halladayrules !

I found the problem it was in the security tab.
      Under Group or usernames I had to add “Everyone”
      Then I could access the shared folders in the Windows 2008 Machine.

I want to thank you very much for the amazing kind effort you have put in this problem th solve it.

I wish you a very nice day dear Halladayrules.

PS Now I can move on to a next problem and If i cant solve I will post it on the very nice forum.
      Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.