Themes doesn’t work

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

I tried to install (following all the steps with no exceptions on this page: http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/win2008r2/themes) but when I try to set a theme, I got this message:

“Your system administrator has disabled launching of the Display Control Panel.”

No matter how far I look for a solution, didn’t find nothing helpful.

Thanks.

looks like you have no admin rights ? ( Standard Account )

Anonymous

looks like you have no admin rights ? ( Standard Account )

Yes, I have. I tried it after a fresh installation. (Administrator account)

Anonymous

Yes, I have. I tried it after a fresh installation. (Administrator account)

Hi all, has anybody found out a solution about this issue?
          I’ve the same problem on my windows 2008 r2 installation.

Thanks

Anonymous

Hi all, has anybody found out a solution about this issue?
            I’ve the same problem on my windows 2008 r2 installation.

Thanks

i think u could change it from gpedit.msc

Anonymous

i think u could change it from gpedit.msc

Open Regedit and Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesSystem

Locate “NoDispCPL” and check the value. A value of 1 means the setting is enabled which means the display will be displayed, a setting of 0 means its disabled and thus the Display control panel applet will be allowed to run. Check this registry key to see if it is the culprit.
              If this value does not exist, create a new key below Policies called System and then create a new DWORD value called “NoDispCPL” with a decimal value of 0 and hit refresh.

If this solution doesn’t work or doesn’t apply to you, open up group policy and navigate to User Configuration > Control Panel

Check the “hide specified control panel items” and see if “display” or something similar is on list.
              Similarily, try the “show only specified control panel items” and check to see if display or something similar is NOT on the list. Report back with your findings.

Anonymous

Open Regedit and Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesSystem

Locate “NoDispCPL” and check the value. A value of 1 means the setting is enabled which means the display will be displayed, a setting of 0 means its disabled and thus the Display control panel applet will be allowed to run. Check this registry key to see if it is the culprit.
                If this value does not exist, create a new key below Policies called System and then create a new DWORD value called “NoDispCPL” with a decimal value of 0 and hit refresh.

If this solution doesn’t work or doesn’t apply to you, open up group policy and navigate to User Configuration > Control Panel

Check the “hide specified control panel items” and see if “display” or something similar is on list.
                Similarily, try the “show only specified control panel items” and check to see if display or something similar is NOT on the list. Report back with your findings.

I had same problem. I have fixed it by restoring old files.

Just go to WindowsSystem32 folder and find these three files:
                shsvcs.dll.backup
                themeui.dll.backup
                uxtheme.dll.backup

Delete “backup”. If you want to run Aero theme you have to make it manually and it works.

Anonymous

I had same problem. I have fixed it by restoring old files.

Just go to WindowsSystem32 folder and find these three files:
                  shsvcs.dll.backup
                  themeui.dll.backup
                  uxtheme.dll.backup

Delete “backup”. If you want to run Aero theme you have to make it manually and it works.

Those backup files only exist due to a uxtheme patcher.

The “.backup” ones are actually the originals.

Problem is the system won’t allow you to delete the modified ones even if you disable windows explorer. I just rebooted into Recovery mode (aka Repair you computer) open command prompt, changed directory to c:windowssystem32 and ran:

del shsvcs.dll
                  del themeui.dll
                  del uxtheme.dll
                  then I renamed .backups to originals:

ren shsvcs.dll.backup shsvcs.dll
                  ren themeui.dll.backup themeui.dll
                  ren uxtheme.dll.backup uxtheme.dll

Computer rebooted with Aero like normal.

Anonymous

Those backup files only exist due to a uxtheme patcher.

The “.backup” ones are actually the originals.

Problem is the system won’t allow you to delete the modified ones even if you disable windows explorer. I just rebooted into Recovery mode (aka Repair you computer) open command prompt, changed directory to c:windowssystem32 and ran:

del shsvcs.dll
                    del themeui.dll
                    del uxtheme.dll
                    then I renamed .backups to originals:

ren shsvcs.dll.backup shsvcs.dll
                    ren themeui.dll.backup themeui.dll
                    ren uxtheme.dll.backup uxtheme.dll

Computer rebooted with Aero like normal.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.