The Sims 3 crashing

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Games Compatibility The Sims 3 crashing

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I bought The Sims 3 pack on Steam, but it won’t play more than a few seconds without crashing. EA support seem clueless. It has a variety of DLC packs, and because it is Steam, i can’t get rid of them and see if one of them is causing the issues.
      Anyone have any suggestions?

i7 2600k
      8gb ram
      AMD 6870

Arris

Can you also post the exception information that appears after crashing or which resides in the Event Log? (Start -> Run -> eventvwr.msc -> Windows Logs -> Application) This will help people to better pinpoint the problem and possibly give solutions. 🙂

Sounds like a Data Execution Prevention (DEP) issue from your description.

Click on Start > Right-click Computer and choose Properties.
        In upper left corner, click Advanced System Settings
        Click Settings… button under Performance
        Click Data Execution Prevention
        Click the “Turn on DEP for all programs and services, except those I select:” radio button
        Click Add…

Browse to executable (.exe) application path. I don’t know exactly what its called because I don’t have the game installed… probably Sims3.exe or something similar. Make sure you repeat this process for all of the Sims3 exectables… for example Sims3Launcher.exe, Sims3.exe, TS3.exe.

If you are unsure of the program file path to Sims3 you can find it out if you have a shortcut to the game on your desktop. Right-click on the Sims 3 game shortcut on your desktop and choose properties…In the “target” field you will see the full path to the game.

It can be confusing sometimes because I have Battlefield 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 installed on my machine and one is listed under “EA GAMES” while the other is listed under “Electronic Arts”.

Add the Sims 3 executable to effectively disable DEP which should allow the game to launch without any errors, if this was indeed the issue. Report back with your findings…and 15 million dollars cash.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.