System Restore

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous System Restore

Viewing 69 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve created an installer that enables the System Restore feature of Windows 7 to Windows Server 2008 R2. It has a few minor drawbacks. I was unable to create “System Protection” link via “Control PanelSystem and SecuritySystem”. Also system protection (aka system restore) is not enabled by default on the system drive. To enable system restore on your system drive, follow my tutorial below.

Download here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VKE7O03T

***Uninstaller is attached below. ***

Directions: Extract System Restore.zip to your desktop and run install.bat

Enable System Protection

1. Click on Start and choose Run…
      2. Type in systempropertiesprotection and hit enter
      3. Highlight your system drive and then click on the Configure… button
      4. In the Restore Settings section select either the Only restore previous version of files or the Restore system settings and previous versions of files option to enable system restore. (Restore system settings and previous version of files is preferred)
      5. In the Disk Space Usage section set a fixed disk quota for system restore points by selecting how much disk space you would like to allocate to system restore points. Slide the bar next to Max Usage to a preferred selection. 20% is a good standard option to use.

Screenshots

As you can see all the aspects of system restore is working normally. I can create a system restore point, restore back from a previously saved restore point, and undo a system restore as evidenced by the screenshots above. Please feel free to test this out and ensure that it is working properly.

Tips:

Change the System Restore Schedule in Task Scheduler

By default a system restore point will be created on startup or daily at 12:00AM. This seems a bit excessive and can quickly chew up your disk space. In the example below I will show you how to set the system restore points to create a normal scheduled restore point every 2 weeks. A system restore point will be generated any time a major system event has occurred (installation of programs, windows updates, driver installation) and cannot be prevented. It is this way by design.

1. Click on Start and type in Task Scheduler

2. Expand the Task Scheduler Library folder by clicking the triangle icon to the left

3. Navigate to Microsoft > Windows > SystemRestore

4. In the middle window, right-click on SR and choose Properties

5. Select Triggers

6. Delete “At Startup

7. Highlight the “Daily At 12:00AM” option and click Edit…

8. In the Settings section on the upper left side, change the radio button to Monthly

9. Ensure that the Days radio button option is selected and then click the drop down arrow. Select your own personal 2 week schedule. For example I used 1,15,29.

10. Click the drop down arrow next to the Months radio button option.

11. Highlight the checkbox.

12. Click Ok.

13. Click Ok on the SR Properties window to accept the changes.

Optional: Change the scheduled time to a more suitable time than 12:00AM just in case your computer isn’t turned on during those hours of the night.

Wow, nice work!

Arris

That’s great! Very good job! :geek: Added a link to this topic as step 15 at the Win2008R2Workstation.com main page ๐Ÿ™‚

I tried this and I get a “SPP.dll” missing error. any suggestions?

@djseeram wrote:

I tried this and I get a “SPP.dll” missing error. any suggestions?

1. Are you running install.bat under an administrator account?

If not, try doing so under an Administrators group account.

2. Does spp.dll exist in c:windowssystem32?

Right-click command prompt run as administrator.
        Type: sfc /scanfile: c:windowssystem32spp.dll

3. Did you unzip the file before running install.bat?

Unzip the System Restore.zip file to Desktop and try launching install.bat as an administrator (Run as Administrator)

4. Is your copy of Windows activated?

1. Are you running install.bat under an administrator account?

Yes.

2. Does spp.dll exist in c:windowssystem32?

Right-click command prompt run as administrator.
        Type: sfc /scanfile: c:windowssystem32spp.dll

returns “windows resource protection did not find any integrity issues”

3. Did you unzip the file before running install.bat?

I executed install.bat after unzipping the files.

4. Is your copy of Windows activated?

No. I just installed it.

First try activating Windows to see if this solves it. If not answer the following questions.

1. Do you have following features installed (YES/NO)

.net framework 3.5 features
        Desktop Experience
        Windows Server Backup

2. Is the following services started in services.msc?

Software Protection Platform

3. Can you see the System Protection tab?

Click on Start, navigate to Computer. Right-click Computer and choose Properties.
        Now click on Advanced system settings. Is the system protection tab available?

First try activating Windows to see if this solves it. If not answer the following questions.

1. Do you have following features installed (YES/NO)

.net framework 3.5 features – NO
        Desktop Experience – YES
        Windows Server Backup – It wasn’t when i initially tried it. After this procedure didnot work, I browsed around and found instructions on using Windows Server Backup. I then installed the feature.

2. Is the following services started in services.msc?

Software Protection Platform – Yes. but that could have happen after I installed the Windows Server Backup feature.

3. Can you see the System Protection tab?

I don’t remember seeing this before I installed the server Backup feature, but I am not sure.

I followed the instructions on this page to set backup.
        http://www.winserverhelp.com/2010/03/windows-server-2008-r2-backup-and-restore/

You need to install .NET Framework 3.5.1 features in Server Manager under Add New Features. This should solve your problem.

thanks.

Massive thanks for this, although I’m afraid I haven’t quite got it working XD

I also had that problem with the dll file being missing. I did some of the things posted here and such, and that error message has gone away.

But now I get two different ones.

I get this one when I try to start up System Restore the normal way:

And I get this one when I open the System Protection tab:

Also the “System Restore” button on that tab is greyed out and, as far as I can tell, it’s “searching for drives” forever.

Any ideas?

First try to manually register the System Restore DLLs manually in an elevated command prompt. Click on start and in the search box type “Command Prompt”. Right-click on Command Prompt and choose “Run as Administrator”. Now in command prompt type the following:

cd windowssystem32
        regsvr32 srcore.dll
        regsvr32 srwmi.dl

See if you are able to enable search for drives and thus enable system restore.

2. Your COM+ catalog might be corrupt and it needs to be rebuilt. Download the Com+ Fix zip file, extract it to your desktop and run “rebuildCOM1.bat”.

3. Also, try to see if you can run system restore in safe mode.

@halladayrules wrote:

cd windowssystem32
        regsvr32 srcore.dll
        regsvr32 srwmi.dl

This helped, thank you so much! We’re getting there, I can now at least open System Restore, although I can’t run it because I need to turn it on from the System Protection tab which still doesn’t work.

@halladayrules wrote:

See if you are able to enable search for drives and thus enable system restore.

How would I do this? It may well resolve the problem, seeing as it looks like that’s where it’s getting stuck.

@halladayrules wrote:

2. Your COM+ catalog might be corrupt and it needs to be rebuilt. Download the Com+ Fix zip file, extract it to your desktop and run “rebuildCOM1.bat”.

This also may well fix it as I remember reading about how the COM+ catalog might be corrupt, I checked that the service had been started already, but Microsoft didn’t give a clear indication of how to actually fix it. Thanks again for this, I’ll have to try that tomorrow morning and let you know how I got on.

@halladayrules wrote:

3. Also, try to see if you can run system restore in safe mode.

That was obvious. I don’t know why I didn’t try that already.

Again, massive thanks. You’ve already been more helpful than the entire Internet.

Also: Worth a try to see if this quick fix works. Go to Start, Run. Type in: gpedit.msc
        In Group Policy navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > System Restore.

Change the Turn off Configuration and Turn off System Restore to disabled. Then in command prompt launch gpupdate /force to force a policy refresh.

Also if you have an Antivirus firewall installed try temporarily disabling it to see if the System Protection tab is accessible.

Does this also allow you to use System Restore from the Startup Repair Preinstallation Environment?

Not at the moment you cannot perform an offline system restore using the Recovery Environment. I’m hopeful I can find a way to enable this feature in the near future.

Hi, Where is the system restore.zip file?

I can’t find it on the site.

@darkman3368 wrote:

Hi, Where is the system restore.zip file?

I can’t find it on the site.

Here you go.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VKE7O03T

I install the batch file also enable everything you mention and configure the system restore i tried to restore the system 3 times i only get an error as you can see in the snapshot!

@madeinheaven wrote:

I install the batch file also enable everything you mention and configure the system restore i tried to restore the system 3 times i only get an error as you can see in the snapshot!

Some Antiviruses will conflict with System Restore. For example some users reported (on Windows 7) reported having to disable the self-defense feature of Avast to get System Restore to roll back to the previous restore point. If you can disable your antivirus prior to running system restore try this first. If the same error message occurs, try the following if this applies to you.

One device at a time, start unplugging all of your peripherals. For example, unplug your printer from the back of your computer. Try system restore. Next try your scanner. Try system restore again. Then try your camera. This is just an example you might only have a printer. By unplugging the devices one at a time instead of all at once you can do a process of elimination and find out which device is causing the issue with system restore. Some device printers, especially HP printers (personal experience) have had issues with system restore. I’ve gotten that same error message before on my machine when it first ran Vista and for some reason my HP printer didn’t agree with it.

I just Install the system restore it works but after i install this i get error when i uninstall or reinstall some programs.

Error saying that program can not find specific ddl to unistall the program!

I think when system restore installing it cause problem in registry entry dll section.

I was reading in google search about the error i find out one of the file or files causing registry entry problem..

srclient.dll
        srcore.dll
        srrstr.dll
        srwmi.dll

I tried everyting i could not solve the problems.

Are you sure this is completely safe is the any way to uninstall this?

REGARDS

@madeinheaven wrote:

I just Install the system restore it works but after i install this i get error when i uninstall or reinstall some programs.

Error saying that program can not find specific ddl to unistall the program!

I think when system restore installing it cause problem in registry entry dll section.

I was reading in google search about the error i find out one of the file or files causing registry entry problem..

srclient.dll
        srcore.dll
        srrstr.dll
        srwmi.dll

I tried everyting i could not solve the problems.

Are you sure this is completely safe is the any way to uninstall this?

REGARDS

I created an uninstaller script for System Restore on the 1st page. Strange I’ve never had any programs with Add/Remove programs on 2008. I’ve heard that some AV can conflict with System Restore. You can always uninstall SR and if your problem still persists you can re-install SR on the main page.

For some reason, even with System Restore configured properly (I was able to make a restore point manually)
        Trying to install Microsoft HealthVault Connection Center:
        http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=127972
        spits out an error that reads
        “The program can’t start because SPP.dll is missing from your computer.
        Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.”
        It does install, but it refuses to make a restore point.

Maybe it’s just me, maybe there’s a problem with that particular installer.
        Either way, it might be worth checking out.

@JTF195 wrote:

For some reason, even with System Restore configured properly (I was able to make a restore point manually)
        Trying to install Microsoft HealthVault Connection Center:
        http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=127972
        spits out an error that reads
        “The program can’t start because SPP.dll is missing from your computer.
        Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.”
        It does install, but it refuses to make a restore point.

Maybe it’s just me, maybe there’s a problem with that particular installer.
        Either way, it might be worth checking out.

I tried it out on a VM and I got the same result you did. I tried it on my 2008 installation with System Restore and it created the system restore point just fine. Interesting dilemma. One of the many reasons why I develop on 2008 and not R2. I don’t experience as much problems. I wouldn’t worry too much about it, just manually create a system restore point and that program should be included.

Okay, maybe I’m blind but the very first post says***UNINSTALLER BELOW*** or something of that nature. I’ve never found the uninstaller script on the 1st page. Am I missing something?

It’s in an attachment in the 1st post at the bottom.

Attachments:
        SystemRestoreUnInstaller.zip [574 Bytes]
        Downloaded 25 times

As a tip if you are searching for a particular keyword hit CTRL+F on your browser to bring up the search/find command and type in the name of what you’re looking for. I do that a lot when i’m reading tutorials online on how to install something and the web page design is messed up or the page itself is really long. For example if you type in google.com “how to install program123”, you know how the search engine gives you a little preview with your keywords in bold… then all of a sudden you enter the page and you are like WTF is this crap I’m not reading this whole entire novel… so I just hit CTRL+F and type in something like “Step 1″… or “Install” and filter out all the junk. SO if you need to find my uninstaller just hit CTRL+F and type “uninstaller” and you should find it or atleast you will find keywords relating to uninstaller only.

On a side note I have ported over to Linux as my primary desktop. I have found many useful tools and it has come to be a very stable OS to my liking. I still have a very basic knowledge of the OS in general but the Linux community is so large I don’t seem to have any problems finding solutions to my machine. I am using the Ubuntu-based Linux Mint 10 64-bit (pictured below). It has a lot of great features right out of the box. Some of these include audio and video, ability to burn/mount dvds, a/v codecs, office productivity, social networking capabilities and even the ability to run a limited amount of Windows programs/games. As you can see from my screenshot I have Battlefield 2 Demo installed. From the install tutorials i found online it was relatively simple to set up… I’ve even got Black OPS to work on Linux but it was a bit boring so I uninstalled it. Yes I said it. Black OPS on PC sucks. Console version is much better for some reason. I’ve even got the sixaxis driver for my playstation 3 controller to work on Linux as a joystick/PS1 emulator gamepad. And yes the PS1 emulator is a windows program it runs fine under “wine” the compatibility layer program in Linux. I haven’t gotten .NET Framework 3 to install so any programs which depend on .NET 3 will fail but thats ok i’m not an extreme gamer I primarily intend to use this opportunity to learn more about the wonderful world of Linux. It is a great operating system just like my old faithful girl, Server 2008. I didn’t remove 2008 because it was unstable I removed it because I wanted to learn Linux. Hope you all understand my situation and I look forward to posting suggestions in the near future!

I will no longer actively be providing support on these forums. I will still occasionally post to keep in contact in all the great users here at the win2008workstation forums. Take care.

Your Friend,

halladayrules

MY DESKTOP:

[attachment=0:w8ppjln5]MyLinuxDesktop.jpg[/attachment:w8ppjln5]

Arris

@halladayrules wrote:

On a side note …

My response [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1582:3jzp89oh]here[/localurl:3jzp89oh] to keep the topic clean. ๐Ÿ˜‰

NVM…… Turns out I was selecting D: and trying to activate system restore instead of C:(SYSTEM)..

Great work to all involved. I’ve got SR working perfectly, with one exception: I only see 1 restore point at any given time, even if I select Show Me More Restore Point.

I have allocate 3% of my HD (2.8 GB) to SR, of which ~600 MB is being used.

I create an initial manual restore point after a clean install of R2 SP1 yesterday (2011.07.07) & the remainder of the ~600 MB is from automatic restore points resulting from Automatic Update that were installed to bring the install up to date.

It almost looks like SR has created multiple restore point, but is only displaying the last one in the list of available restore points.

Thanks,
          S

Will this work on 2008 or only on 2008 R2?

Hi Guys,

I also need to have System Restore available for Windows Server 2008 R2, however, the link provided is broken. For some reason, the MegaUpload page opens, I then wait to access the regular download link and boom, “Safari failed to open…”. This error also appears across all available browsers.

Is it possible for you to re-upload the file or provide an alternative download link?

Here you are. ๐Ÿ˜‰

[attachment=0:38ylan0o]System Restore.zip[/attachment:38ylan0o]

Thanks for a great post! I have a question pertaining to WMI for System Restore. I wrote the following simple script for creating a restore point and verified that it works on a true Windows 7 machine.

+++++++++
          strComputer = “.”
          Set objWMIService = GetObject(“winmgmts:\” & strComputer & “rootdefault”)
          Set obj = objWMIService.Get(“SystemRestore”)

If (obj.CreateRestorePoint(“Scripted”, 12, 100)) = 0 Then
          wscript.Echo “Success”
          Else
          wscript.Echo “Failed”
          End If
          +++++++++

But after installing your package on a Win 2008 R2, the script fails because “SystemRestore” WMI class is missing. Do you have any suggestions? I see that your package includes srwmi.dll. I also tried copying sr.mof and sr.mfl files, but that did not help.

Thanks

UPDATE

Following some information I found online, I was able to get one step further by copying sr.mof file from a Windows 7 machine to C:WindowsSystem32wbem directory, and compiling it with mofcomp.exe. I got one step further, but now I am getting a 80041013 Provider load failure for SystemRestore WMI provider.

Any ideas?

RESOLVED
          =======

I figured out the missing piece and felt that this information may be of value to others.

The CLSID registry entry for srwmi.dll required for COM was missing. I found and exported this key from my Windows 7 box, and now I can invoke System Restore functions from WMI scripts (indeed, as far as I can tell, the only way to actually trigger a system restore is through WMI). The reg key to import is HKLMSOFTWAREClassesCLSID{a47401f6-a8a6-40ea-9c29-b8f6026c98b8}.

Vasu

I used a Windows 7 loader to activate my R2 as a Windows 7 machine. Upon rebooting my server was pretty much disfunctional. Server Manager was inaccsessible, Windows Server Backup, Share and Storage Management…pretty much everything. Windows thought I was the client (Windows 7) machine. Upon creating a restore point, I rebooted and went into the recovery console aka “Repair your computer”. I created a restore point called “Test”. Upon entering system restore (rstrui) I noticed that it allowed me to restore my computer. However I am only able to recover restore points when my licensing on my PC is switched to “Windows 7-mode” if you want to call it that. So this makes me believe that the reason why we are not able to restore R2 using R2-licensing is not because of a missing DLL or registry, but a integrity check that is somehow checking to see if we have the right edition of Windows installed. I tried changing the “EditionID” registry string to 7 but that didn’t help. I’ll try to investigate this matter later….atleast I know I’m on the right path. It’s definietely not a missing system file or DLL…its not writing to the “System Reserved” partition somehow.

You do not need to follow this procedure tu enable system protection, you just have to install it via server manager, add features, System Protection, and then enable it by right clicking on computer, advanced system settings, system protection, and enabling system restoring on desired disk/partition. I hope this be useful for someone, bye ๐Ÿ™‚

@sebasia wrote:

You do not need to follow this procedure tu enable system protection, you just have to install it via server manager, add features, System Protection, and then enable it by right clicking on computer, advanced system settings, system protection, and enabling system restoring on desired disk/partition. I hope this be useful for someone, bye ๐Ÿ™‚

You are mistaken my friend. Windows Server 2008 R2 does not contain any roles or features that will enable system restore. The closest thing Server has is system state backups which requires the Windows Server Backup utility. It is a more a system wide backup…in essence you are virtually re-imaging your entire machine every time you run it. System Restore is a little more generic but it makes it great if you want to restore you machine from an application that is incompatible or you need to revert to a previous state a lot quicker than a system state restore.

Is Desktop Experience required for System Restore?

When I try to run rstrui.exe no window opens. System Protection tab exists, restore point created successfully.
          Features:

• .NET Framework 3.5 Features YES
          • Windows Server Backup YES
          • Desktop Experience NO

@halladayrules wrote:

cd windowssystem32
          regsvr32 srcore.dll
          regsvr32 srwmi.dll

This helped ๐Ÿ˜€

And one more post to help someone ๐Ÿ˜‰

Windows Server R2 is missing 32-bit version of System Protection Platform (SPP.dll). Even after Windows Server Backup installed. This breaks some applications trying to create restore point (DirectX 9 for example).

I’ve taken the appropriate files from W7x64, placed them into SysWOW64 folder on server and executed regsvr32 for them. Everything works fine, restore point is autocreated.

P.S. The files needed are attached to the post. They were taken from Windowswinsxsx86_microsoft-windows-spp-main_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_e64e60ad0b1ee918 folder.

@Arvur wrote:

And one more post to help someone ๐Ÿ˜‰

Windows Server R2 is missing 32-bit version of System Protection Platform (SPP.dll). Even after Windows Server Backup installed. This breaks some applications trying to create restore point (DirectX 9 for example).

I’ve taken the appropriate files from W7x64, placed them into SysWOW64 folder on server and executed regsvr32 for them. Everything works fine, restore point is autocreated.

P.S. The files needed are attached to the post. They were taken from Windowswinsxsx86_microsoft-windows-spp-main_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_e64e60ad0b1ee918 folder.

TY.

I’ll check this out and add to R2Conv3.

Regards,

ExpertUser ๐Ÿ™‚

@Arvur wrote:

Genius!!! The constant nag of “spp.dll errors” each time spybot started was driving me nuts. I copied the 2 files to my “Syswow64” folder, regsvr32 as mentioned, and even without a restart this solved the issue. I needn’t dare touch permissions on my “winsxs” folder though.

Please add the files, this is indeed a valid fix to this persistent pain in the arse. Thanks Arvur!!!

๐Ÿ˜€

I can also confirm that the spp.dll fix works great, Arvur!

Thanks for taking the system restore issue into matter. I haven’t been messing around on Windows Server as much lately as I have been trying to learn new exploits in Backtrack 5. Specifically learning about metasploit so I can get root access to somebody else’s machine. Not for malicious intent or anything but just to see if I am capable of learning it. I was able to successfully create a FUD(full undetectable) backdoored executable that when launched allows me to gain root access to a machine on my local network, but it depends on a few important factors. One, you need physical access to the network. Two, you have to entice your victim to actually click on your executable. I have ran the autopwn feature in metasploit database, but was unable to find a session. Because metasploit is a public project, most AVs are tuned to detecting most common payloads and pick them up as threats. Thats why most of the “tutorials” you see on youtube are pretty much useless because they are using older exploits that only works on an unpatched XP machine with SP2! Lesser and lesser people are running XP now a days, so it kind of defeats the purpose of doing this. Oh well, it is still pretty neat. Gerix Wifi cracker makes breaking into WEP as simple as 1-2-3!

System Restore v2 released.

Fixes

+ Added WMI registry fix so restore points may be auto created properly through scripts or via 3rd party software

+ Fixed compatibility issue with software throwing “spp.dll” error messages when creating restore points.

+ Added scheduled task to correct error in task schedule cache which may corrupt restore points over time.

Download: https://rapidshare.com/files/1060517431/System%20Restore%20V2.zip

@halladayrules wrote:

Fixes

+ Added WMI registry fix so restore points may be auto created properly through scripts or via 3rd party software

+ Fixed compatibility issue with software throwing “spp.dll” error messages when creating restore points.

+ Added scheduled task to correct error in task schedule cache which may corrupt restore points over time.

Download in the attachment below.

TY.

We’ll fix this for R2Conv3 as an update.

Regards,

N ๐Ÿ™‚

@halladayrules wrote:

Fixes
          ……

Thanks!

Can’t download any files. I get an error
          “Unable to deliver file – Fatal: Not able to open ./../cache/data_global.php”

Edit – appears to be working now.

OK sorry for bothering again…
          Installed the System Restore V2 and now I get a “Catastrophic failure” when I try launching it. Any ideas?

thanks for the fix…. it works!!!

previously, I could not launch System Restore, clicking would not launch application…. after applying fix, it started working.

@halladayrules wrote:

Fixes

Hi I installed this version and get the spp.dll missing error when I try and load system restore.

I downloaded the two dll files, but when copying them into the syswow64 folder both files were already there. Should I be replacing and reregistering the spp.dll and sxproxy.dll files already in the syswow64 folder with the ones from Arvur?

Thanks!

The file is corrupt.

@halladayrules wrote:

Fixes

@halladayrules wrote:

Fixes

I keep getting a corruped zip file system restore v2.zip

hackerman1

@perezlol wrote:

The file is corrupt.

I just downloaded and checked the file, i get the same error, it is corrupt.

File is corrupt :((

The zip file is corrupted

by the list of corrupted files, find every file in your Windows7_x64, and copy them to a folders a fix-pack, respectively.

I replaced all files for safety.

hello
            The System Restore on windows 2008 R2 function but how do it in recovery environment??
            Windows 7 recovery environment have “System Restore” but don’t function, error “not found system restore”.
            Windows 2008 recovery environment don’t have the “System Restore”

thank you so much i need this tool too much ๐Ÿ˜€

Thank you Halladayrules for systemrestore!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

I recreated it from the broken zip file which did likely contain the version 1 installer, but it works for me, even in safe mode (all programs | accessories| system tools| system restore).

Just in case you were not aware, the RapidShare v2 link appears to be no longer enabled for sharing (RapidShare: The download for this file has not been enabled. Only the user who uploaded it, can enable the download option).

This systemrestore is quite useful when an software update cases problems. Thanks again!

I’ve been attempting to get this working on 2008 R2. I’ve installed v2. I see the System Protection tab. I have been able to “Create” a restore point (I think) I can “Configure” it, but when I attempt to do a “System Restore” I get an error message, see attached file.[attachment=1:vm13dg0d]errormsg1.jpg[/attachment:vm13dg0d]

I have also noticed that srcore.dll and srwmi.dll fail to load when I run regsvr32.[attachment=0:vm13dg0d]errormsg2.jpg[/attachment:vm13dg0d]

Any Ideas anyone?

It turns out that the problem was caused by corrupted files from the “System Restore V2.zip” file I downloaded. I took the time to get copies of all of the .dll’s and .mui’s from my Windows 7 machine and now everything is working correctly.

File is not available. Could someone please either upload a link to the file OR give all the manual steps so we can do it without. This sounds like a nice setup.

Thank you.

Is this thread still getting attention? I just installed 2008 to build a NAS and installed this pack but get the error; “The procedure entry point WinSqmSetDWORD could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll.”
            Any ideas? ta!

hackerman1

@ukmerlin wrote:

Is this thread still getting attention?

It gets “attention” when somone posts…. ๐Ÿ˜‰
              @ukmerlin wrote:

I just installed 2008…..

Have you noticed that the tread is about System Restore on WS2008-R2…?

Anyway, i donยดrecommend using System Restore, itยดs unreliable.

Itยดs better and safer to create “real backups” instead, with imaging software.
              Older versions of Macrium Reflect (v4.2 build 3775) works on WS.
              That is what iยดm using myself.

Instructions: viewtopic.php?p=12504#p12504

Not sure what you mean about your reference to Server 2008 and restore for the thread, I thought that was exactly what I was asking about. Saw your recommendation, seems that windows server 2008 already has full back up capability but seems a bit excessive when you have an update or software install problem.. anyway I guess I will keep doing the back ups. Ta! . ~S

hackerman1

You talk about WS2008.

This thread is about System Restore on WS2008-R2.
                WS2008 and WS2008-R2 are 2 different operating systems…. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Just want to say thanks to halladayrules for the patch and to walidfor linking the file again. Works like a dream.

thanks for your effort

Viewing 69 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.