System Restore

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous System Restore

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Hhow do you do a system restore in win server 08 r2?

Apparently there is no System Restore feature in a Windows Server OS. Here is a workaround someone did for Windows Small Business Server 2003 that you may be able to implement in Windows Server 2008 R2 somehow. I currently don’t have Windows Server 2008 R2 installed right now, so I cannot confirm nor deny any of the above.

I also found this and its response is here. The link in the response says to look at the end of the article which says:

@http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185 wrote:

Although Windows Server 2008 does not include the System Restore feature, Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 use shadow copies for other purposes, such as for backups. Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 also delete shadow copies that are created by earlier versions of Windows. Therefore, after you use the earlier version of Windows to start the computer in a dual-boot environment, no restore points are available to the System Restore feature when you next start Windows Vista.

Even though that was R1, it probably hasn’t changed.

Anonymous

Apparently there is no System Restore feature in a Windows Server OS. Here is a workaround someone did for Windows Small Business Server 2003 that you may be able to implement in Windows Server 2008 R2 somehow. I currently don’t have Windows Server 2008 R2 installed right now, so I cannot confirm nor deny any of the above.

I also found this and its response is here. The link in the response says to look at the end of the article which says:

@http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185 wrote:

Although Windows Server 2008 does not include the System Restore feature, Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 use shadow copies for other purposes, such as for backups. Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 also delete shadow copies that are created by earlier versions of Windows. Therefore, after you use the earlier version of Windows to start the computer in a dual-boot environment, no restore points are available to the System Restore feature when you next start Windows Vista.

Even though that was R1, it probably hasn’t changed.

So how would I locate a shadow copy and run it?

Anonymous

And would you happen to know why server uses so much core and freezes music and videos? I’m currently on it now and it was just freezing my youtube.

Anonymous

And would you happen to know why server uses so much core and freezes music and videos? I’m currently on it now and it was just freezing my youtube.

@psych0t1c wrote:

As I said before, I don’t have Windows Server installed but try reading this and see if it helps. Look at the sites under References and External Links for more information.

What browser + plugins do you have installed? Remember that Windows Server 2008 R2 is 64-bit so plugins (such as flash) will not work in the 64-bit version of a browser (unless there is a beta, then that may be unstable). You could also install Shockwave and see if that works. That is what I had to do when I wanted to run Mozilla Firefox 3.6 “Minefield” so it may help.

Anonymous

@psych0t1c wrote:

As I said before, I don’t have Windows Server installed but try reading this and see if it helps. Look at the sites under References and External Links for more information.

What browser + plugins do you have installed? Remember that Windows Server 2008 R2 is 64-bit so plugins (such as flash) will not work in the 64-bit version of a browser (unless there is a beta, then that may be unstable). You could also install Shockwave and see if that works. That is what I had to do when I wanted to run Mozilla Firefox 3.6 “Minefield” so it may help.

Yeah but I have win 7 on a dual boot and it runs smoothly. Even my music, videos freezes up sometimes.

Anonymous

Yeah but I have win 7 on a dual boot and it runs smoothly. Even my music, videos freezes up sometimes.

Do you have the “Desktop Experience” enabled? Re-read the second part of my post above and see if what I said helps. I edited it as you were posting so you may not have seen it.

If you are using IE, did you do this? http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/win2008r2/disable-internet-explorer-enhanced-security It may help, I don’t know.

Anonymous

Do you have the “Desktop Experience” enabled? Re-read the second part of my post above and see if what I said helps. I edited it as you were posting so you may not have seen it.

If you are using IE, did you do this? http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/win2008r2/disable-internet-explorer-enhanced-security It may help, I don’t know.

Viewing 12 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.