Small Business Server 2008

Forums General General Discussion Small Business Server 2008

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Does any of this work with SBS 2008? I am running Server 2008 on one system and was thinking about a SBS config on my 2nd pc. Anybody know if its possible?

I have been running the Server 2008 for a bit now, it is really nice.

Arris

At first had some problems installing Windows Small Business Server 2008 in VMWare because my host system only has 4GB of ram, but SBS also requires 4GB otherwise it won’t even start.[attachment=0:vbb2i5zy]AdditionalHardwareNeeded.jpg[/attachment:vbb2i5zy]To circumvent the “Additional Hardware Needed” follow the following steps:
        1. After logging in at the “Install Windows Small Business Server 2008” window press ctrl+shift+esc and click New Task (Run…) in the File menu.
        2. Enter regedit and click OK. The Registry Editor will now be launched.
        3. In the Registry Editor navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon and rename the Shell value to something else (e.g. Shell_bak).
        4. Create a new String Value with the name Shell and enter as Value data explorer.exe.
        5. Restart your pc by clicking Cancel at “Additional Hardware Needed” screen. Next time your pc will boot normally! 🙂

About the Server 2008 to Workstation tweaks: I expect they ‘ll all work. As a test I installed the Desktop Experience Feature according to the steps in the manual and it all worked flawlessly! 😉

Good luck and let me hear if you encounter any problems! :geek:

Arris

Why would SBS require 4GB RAM when enterprise doesn’t??? strange

Arris

Yeah, I was also surprised I was forced to have at least 4GB’s of RAM and otherwise it shuts down. 😕 By default it installs Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 and Microsoft SQL Server 2005, so that can be at least one reason. (See screenshot)

An other remarkable application is the Windows SBS Console tool; here are the screens.

Home – Getting Started Tasks / Frequent Tasks and Community Links

Users and Groups – Users / User Roles / Groups

Network – Computers / Devices / Connectivity

Shared Folders and Web Sites – Shared Folders / Web Sites

Backup and Server Storage – Backup / Server Storage

Reports

Security – Security / Updates

Thanks for the screenshots arris! Looks pretty neat.

The RAM thing is what killed my initiative. I was going to try it on another MB w/ 2gb first, but was quickly stopped with the requirement. I have Server 2008 as my main machine, I am not sacrificing it for a test.

Thanks for looking into it. As I move around machines again, I may give it a shot.

I get this error when using the Server Configuration Tool in Small Business Server:

“Application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission, contact your system administrator

Tried downloading SDK for Dot Net 2.0 and could not configure .net permissions. All the guides refer to a configuration editor that is not in the spot its supposed to be.

Arris

@amuzed2pieces wrote:

“Application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission, contact your system administrator

The Local Security Policy Editor can be started via Start -> Run -> secpol.msc. Maybe you will find any clues there. If not you might find anything in the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) or using Sysinternals Process Monitor in which you look for registry entries that are accessed during the Server Configuration Tool. Search the forum for more info about Process Monitor.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Viewing 7 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.