Slow shutdown

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Shutdown on my R2 is very slow. I timed it recently, it stayed on “Windows is shutting down” for exactly 2-minutes and 54-seconds.

That seems quite excessive. There are no shutdown-related errors in the event logs. Any ideas on what I should try?

Hi,

A few questions. Does this happen each time you shutdown your system? Also, is this long shutdown observable in safe mode?

Anonymous

Hi,

A few questions. Does this happen each time you shutdown your system? Also, is this long shutdown observable in safe mode?

Could you also post your system specs please? And what features & roles do you have installed?

Anonymous

Could you also post your system specs please? And what features & roles do you have installed?

I initially thought it happened every time, but I’ve been experimenting and found it does NOT happen every time.

I timed it with a stopwatch and it took 3min 56sec to shutdown the first time.
          Then I booted into Safe Mode, it took less than 5-seconds!
          So I rebooted, suspecting maybe it was VMware Player’s services. I shut those off. Shutdown took only 7-seconds from the time I clicked the button.
          I thought I was onto something, booted up again, didn’t touch any services, shutdown again. Shutdown took 7-seconds. Darn, I guess it’s not VMware’s services so I guess I really have a mystery.

I’m strongly suspecting that it might still be connected to VMware Player 3.0 somehow. I think anytime I use the VM, maybe that makes shutdown slow. I’ll have to spend a lot more time to confirm this though.

I have no roles installed. I have performed steps 3-8 from http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/. I am connected to a domain. MS Live Messenger and VMware Player 3.0 and WinRAR were the only apps that were installed when I first started noticing the problem.
          Machine is a Dell Optiplex 745, 4GB RAM, 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo, 80GB HDD, ATI X1300 video.

Anonymous

I initially thought it happened every time, but I’ve been experimenting and found it does NOT happen every time.

I timed it with a stopwatch and it took 3min 56sec to shutdown the first time.
            Then I booted into Safe Mode, it took less than 5-seconds!
            So I rebooted, suspecting maybe it was VMware Player’s services. I shut those off. Shutdown took only 7-seconds from the time I clicked the button.
            I thought I was onto something, booted up again, didn’t touch any services, shutdown again. Shutdown took 7-seconds. Darn, I guess it’s not VMware’s services so I guess I really have a mystery.

I’m strongly suspecting that it might still be connected to VMware Player 3.0 somehow. I think anytime I use the VM, maybe that makes shutdown slow. I’ll have to spend a lot more time to confirm this though.

I have no roles installed. I have performed steps 3-8 from http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/. I am connected to a domain. MS Live Messenger and VMware Player 3.0 and WinRAR were the only apps that were installed when I first started noticing the problem.
            Machine is a Dell Optiplex 745, 4GB RAM, 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo, 80GB HDD, ATI X1300 video.

Mine is in VMWare Player and I have seen that it is a bit slow on startup, not sure about shut down. If we can find a way to fix this, it would be better.

Anonymous

Mine is in VMWare Player and I have seen that it is a bit slow on startup, not sure about shut down. If we can find a way to fix this, it would be better.

I have Windows Server 2003 [R2] in VMWare Player with 1GB of RAM (it was recommended at 384MB) and it boots and shuts down pretty fast. It does not have VMWare Tools installed [s:1szvv9cr]so I will try to remove it from Windows Server 2008 R2 (at 1280MB of RAM) and see what that results in.[/s:1szvv9cr] Ubuntu 9.04 is also kind of slow.

EDIT: It still seems slow to me..

Anonymous

I have Windows Server 2003 [R2] in VMWare Player with 1GB of RAM (it was recommended at 384MB) and it boots and shuts down pretty fast. It does not have VMWare Tools installed [s:1szvv9cr]so I will try to remove it from Windows Server 2008 R2 (at 1280MB of RAM) and see what that results in.[/s:1szvv9cr] Ubuntu 9.04 is also kind of slow.

EDIT: It still seems slow to me..

Viewing 10 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.