Server 2008 Standard R2 180 day Trial to Full !UPDATED!

Forums General General Discussion Server 2008 Standard R2 180 day Trial to Full !UPDATED!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Greetings,

Would anyone know if the Server 2008 R2 Standard 180 day evaluation trial version, available at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx can be converted into a fully licensed version at a later stage, without having to reformat and reinstall?

I would like to try Server 2008 R2 and have been thinking about downloading the trial version. Is this version strictly a demo only edition that expires after the 180 days activation period, or can this trial version be converted to the full version at a later stage using a purchased key? (or product key obtained through Dreamspark when available).

Someone posted this question on the Microsoft TechNet website: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/83d4d320-6220-4fab-a210-20b2a877dd5e and it appears that it can be, but I thought I would ask you guys first before downloading the 180 day trial.

I sincerely appreciate any advice you can offer.

Many thanks,

Shane.

A Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 team member replied to a question on Technet stating:

The downloadable version of Windows Server 2008 R2 is strictly an eval version. Thanks for reading.

Seeing as we do not have product keys for Windows Server 2008 R2 (unless you’re MSDN/TechNet), we cannot fully confirm that, but based on the post you linked to, I would have to say that it is possible, especially since one of Microsoft’s Moderators marked those as answers.

If you want to confirm this, contact the Windows Server 2008 R2 team and ask them.

Anonymous

Seeing as we do not have product keys for Windows Server 2008 R2 (unless you’re MSDN/TechNet), we cannot fully confirm that, but based on the post you linked to, I would have to say that it is possible, especially since one of Microsoft’s Moderators marked those as answers.

If you want to confirm this, contact the Windows Server 2008 R2 team and ask them.

Thanks for the update. It’s a shame that DreamSpark keys don’t work.

Anonymous

Thanks for the update. It’s a shame that DreamSpark keys don’t work.

so you would have to redownload a new version and then reformat and install again. that sucks.

Anonymous

so you would have to redownload a new version and then reformat and install again. that sucks.

Viewing 6 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.