server 2008 R2 Beta available someone already tested?

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous server 2008 R2 Beta available someone already tested?

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author

I am downloading the R2 Beta, but with my connection it takes very long. I hope it’ll be finished tomorrow! I’ll post some screen shots and the like once I have it up and running!

Come to think of it, maybe Arris can do an informal “review” of Win7Server when he gets it running…that way, we know how the OS works for our specific needs (using server OSes on a regular workstation).

i tested it

and find that there are no superfetch there

but the os is really gr8 working fast ….
      duno if windows 7 is less faster then it
      they looked the same to me

I have it running in VMWare, but I haven’t tested it so far. I’ll post some screen shots of it (but without aero)!

Any reason why you’re not running it with Aero? Is that because you’re running it in vmware?

Is Superfetch not there, or do you have to enable it first?

You can’t use Aero in VMWare, because there is no certified driver for it.

@frauhottelmann wrote:

You can’t use Aero in VMWare, because there is no certified driver for it.

Ahh, yes, now I see why that can become annoying 😀

I don’t really understand why more people (especially from this site) aren’t jumping all over this beta… it’s amazing!! The only thing I can’t figure out how to do so far (that I had working in 2008 non R2) is the new win7 sidebar (gadgets)… but I have the vista sidebar working fine… for the mean time.

Hopefully more people can jump into the beta and see how stable it is and enjoy the new Win 7 functionality…

I’m happy as a clam!

No more drugs for that man…. 😯

Has anybody tried to activate it with the key M$ provides on the download page?
      I can’t get them to work!

Correct I had the same problem… I ended up calling MS and then had to try to convince the lady that its a free version of a beta operating system, etc…. She wouldn’t believe the key was published online…. *shrugs*. I think she finally didn’t want to argue anymore and just read me the activation code.

My hunch in this goes back to whether it’s an upgrade key or a clean install key…. I haven’t heard any upgraders complain about the key…. But all my installs were fresh/clean installs….. What was yours – upgrade or clean?

A clean install! Well, it doesn’t say anything about upgrade on the download page!

I believe the website on the MSDN forums specify it as upgrade only… but the clean install WORKS – though it says it’s not supported on the ISO image. I got mine directly from that link – and yes mine has the clean install option… It’s their own headache really – now they just have to deal with all the calls coming in. 😕

There is no Windows Server 2008 R2 download on that page. Only Windows 7 Beta.

Removed?!?!?! :'(

Just do a search on Microsofts download website…. R2 beta has it’s own site….

@JonusC wrote:

There is no Windows Server 2008 R2 download on that page. Only Windows 7 Beta.

Removed?!?!?! :'(

Here you go: LINK
      You don’t even need to register. And in contrast to the Win 7 Beta the servers are fast enough!

Sweet. Cheers. I was just reading up on it, and will be grabbing it tonight.

Noticed it’s 64-bit only too.

Yeah, since the final version will be 64-bit only, it wouldn’t make much sense to provide a 32-bit Beta^^ 😉

@JonusC wrote:

Sweet. Cheers. I was just reading up on it, and will be grabbing it tonight.

Noticed it’s 64-bit only too.

Yes, Server 2008 (not R2) was announced as the last 32-bit release for serverside operating systems by MS. I believe they’ve also announced Windows 7 will be the last 32-bit workstation as well.

That’s a good thing in my opinion. It will force people with old-school dinosaur hardware to upgrade (so they don’t whinge and moan about “how crappy anything later than XP runs”) not to mention get hardware/device vendors to get their drivers signed…

…that’s kind of a bad thing though. The compulsory driver signing I mean. It’s the one biggest thing that i’m scared about moving to a 64-bit OS =( Is there some really good way to permanently turn it off? Apart from hitting F8 every time (maybe a boot parameter we can add to BCDEdit) hmm i might research that myself when I could be bothered…

I’m going to install Windows 7 Beta tonight, followed by 2008 R2 tomorrow, so I can get on the bandwagon quick to figure out whats different on the inside, and research on the “Convert 2008 R2 to Workstation 7” hehe! Exciting stuff.

Mh fortunately I didn’t have any driver-problems with 64-bit yet! The only thing that didn’t work was infrared, but it always gave me problems!^^

@frauhottelmann wrote:

Mh fortunately I didn’t have any driver-problems with 64-bit yet! The only thing that didn’t work was infrared, but it always gave me problems!^^

There is one driver instance I know I will definately have problems with – XBCD. It’s a driver for Xbox1 controllers, that will NEVER be digitally signed I know – Microsoft won’t allow it!

That is too bad. Get a XBox 360 Controller^^ that should work 😀

Yep this is true! They have better analog sticks too so I probably will. Haha thats exactly right though – I said “it will force people to upgrade” and yep, that’s what’ll happen lol.

Anyway the controller I have is actually pretty good… it’s a PowerWare “carbon” that’s actually identical to the 360 controller without the guide button 😛 Start/Select are where the LB/RB buttons are. Yet I love using XBOX1 controllers on PC because the driver software lets you remap every single button… i’ll miss that =( Or… meh, ill prolly find a signed driver hack anyway.

EDIT: I just installed both Windows 7 and 2008 R2 on a spare harddrive. I love 2008 R2 so much i’m using it as my primary OS. P.S. Final/RTM will be out BEFORE August 1st 😉 source – http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=649

So, expect me to be a lot more active in THIS part of the forum from now on as a I start bringing Windows 7 features to 2008 R2 =D

Scratch that last edit. I can’t even activate Server 2008 R2, I tried manual by phone, but you just can’t use that key more than once. I even went so far as to try a tokens.dat cr.ack for Server 2008 R1 (our current one) but a lot of little things have changed to prevent such over-rides and “fakers” from working.

Microsoft provided per-user keys for Windows 7 Ultimate Beta so we could trial for months, until release date or at least another major (RC). But a common key for Server 2008 R2 was a mistake… “This key has already been activated” was what I was told when calling up.

I refuse to beta test something that will only last an absolute maximum of 120 days! I can’t fully test it’s capabilites. So much for making Server 2008 R2 my primary OS =(

I could use Windows 7, because the superbar ROCKS SO DAMN HARD, but i’d rather stick with ol’ Windows 6 Server until I figure out just how to activate this crap.

I’ve called in twice now and both times they started out kind of playing dumb… And after me showing I wasn’t giving up, they read me the numbers and I was good to go….

Just be firm and calm…. If that doesn’t work feed them something along the lines of discrimination or such – after all it IS a public beta…. *shrugs*

Yup, I sorted it =)

Love the damn Superbar! Trying to find out how to tweak it more (Would love an ability to show/hide labels for specific programs)

@gleep52 wrote:

No more drugs for that man…. 😯

LMAO diddo

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.