• Author

Legend: WorksWorks with workaroundsDoesn’t work

Works:
      -[s:3w0w75pj]Avast! Home Edition[/s:3w0w75pj]
      -[s:3w0w75pj]Comodo Anti-Virus [/s:3w0w75pj]
      -[s:3w0w75pj]ESET Smart Security Business Edition[/s:3w0w75pj]
      -[s:3w0w75pj]Gdata InternetSecurity 2010[/s:3w0w75pj]
      -[s:3w0w75pj]PC Tools Internet Security 2010[/s:3w0w75pj]
      -[s:3w0w75pj]Kaspersky Anti-Virus[/s:3w0w75pj](Workaround)
      -[s:3w0w75pj]Avira AntiVir Personal Edition[/s:3w0w75pj]
      -[s:3w0w75pj]AVG Internet Security SBS Edition[/s:3w0w75pj]
      -[s:3w0w75pj]Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.4 works as long as you only use the Anti-Virus components. The threat protection packages do not play well in server OS’s.[/s:3w0w75pj]
      -[s:3w0w75pj]VIPRE[/s:3w0w75pj]
      -[s:3w0w75pj]AVG 8.x[/s:3w0w75pj] http://www.win2008workstation.com/win2008/security-software#comment-2002 addition http://www.win2008workstation.com/win2008/security-software#comment-2415 NOTE: #comment-162

Doesn’t Work:
      -[s:3w0w75pj]Microsoft Security Essentials Beta[/s:3w0w75pj] (Final version doesn’t work ethier)
      -[s:3w0w75pj]ESET Home Editions[/s:3w0w75pj]
      -[s:3w0w75pj]Zone Alarm Extreme Security[/s:3w0w75pj]
      -[s:3w0w75pj]AVG Free 9.0 Beta[/s:3w0w75pj]
      -[s:3w0w75pj]BitDefender Internet Security 2009[/s:3w0w75pj]
      -[s:3w0w75pj]BitDefender Internet Security 2010[/s:3w0w75pj]
      -[s:3w0w75pj]F-Secure Internet Security 2010[/s:3w0w75pj]

[s:3w0w75pj]Strikethrough[/s:3w0w75pj] – On the [r2security:3w0w75pj]Windows Server 2008 R2 Security Software Compatibility List[/r2security:3w0w75pj]

Just so it is easier for me to update the tables, please follow this form so I don’t have to go digging through Google for websites:

Program Name:
      Compatible?:
      Issues:
      Fix:

Eset4 Nod32 Business works. Eset3 did not

Program Name: AVG Internet Security SBS Edition
      Website: http://www.avg.com/product-avg-internet-security-sbs-edition
      Compatible?: Yes
      Issues: None
      Fix: None

Installing Avira AntiVir Personal Edition on Windows Server 2008 R2:

@http://expertester.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/windows-server-2008-as-superworkstation wrote:

1.) Start –> Run –> Regedit
      2.) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE –> SYSTEM –> CurrentControlset –> Control
      3.) Now change the permissions of the folder “ProductOptions” –> add your user account (for example ComputernameUsername) and deny yourself the read rights for the whole folder. Be careful not to deny the whole rights for all administrators or something like that (I tried that first cause of a black out and it leads to windows not being able to boot).
      4.) Now you should be able to install Antivir PE

In case you want to revert the permission settings just log to your administrator account. Here you can again grant your user account full rights for “ProductOptions”.

Program Name: Avira AntiVir Personal Edition
      Compatible: yes, with a hack
      Issues: installer throws an error saying the product cannot be installed on a server OS
      Fix: http://expertester.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/windows-server-2008-as-superworkstation (scroll down to comment #2; article is about Server 2008, but the workaround described works on R2 as well)

Thanks, I will update the table shortly.

I will say that on R2, security software is quite unnecessary. Run as a standard user with a tight security policy, stay up to date with patches, and use a secure sandboxed browser, and you really won’t have a problem. For the odd file you wish to check, you can use virustotal.com

VirusTotal only allows ~10MB files if I remember correctly.

Sure, but what single file do you want to check that will be larger than 10mb? If your documents and such are already infected, then you should use an AV. However, that can be avoided by following good security practices and checking the odd file with VT.

@JingoFresh wrote:

Sure, but what single file do you want to check that will be larger than 10mb?

There are plenty of files that are over 10MB that you may want to check for viruses (example: e-mail attachments). Also, you don’t want too tight of security because then you will have something like Vista. 😆

@xxcom9a wrote:

There are plenty of files that are over 10MB that you may want to check for viruses (example: e-mail attachments). Also, you don’t want too tight of security because then you will have something like Vista. 😆

Hmm. I would think that for stuff sent via email, it would be available elsewhere, and it it were a document, it would be stuff like macro security you would have to worry about. Even so, in the rare event you did get a virus, with a good security policy it won’t be able to do anything anyway.

You can check and monitor suspicious files with the sysinternals utilities as well. Besides, your mail servers should also be doing virus checking, and not sending large attachments via email. Sorry…I work in that industry, so tend to have stronger opinions than most.

@JingoFresh wrote:

…Even so, in the rare event you did get a virus, with a good security policy it won’t be able to do anything anyway.

I am agree on 100%, for last two years using WS2K8 x64 Standart and this new one – R2 ( from 2-3 months)with their security policy i have no significant virus issues. Some little adware and malware problems but nothing that can block system at all – i mean is treatable.
      Just for example – i’m not using antivirus software because by my opinion they are too angry and hungry for system resources- i mean memory and cpu time, sometimes with some of them even hdd shows enormous activity.For the purpose of antivirus cleaning i’m using online check or sometimes make installation for 1-2 hours – just for checking…
      Most important regarding security is tight browser i think.

Program Name: avast! Home
      Issues: Checks for NT SKU during setup. Confuses server with NT 4 Server
      Fix: Same as in R1

Program Name: BitDefender Internet Security 2009
      Compatible?: No (No Win7 Compatibility…yet)
      Issues: Checks OS during install. Full download can install but not update. Updating virus definitions does not work. Compatibility mode does not work.
      Fix: ?

Program Name: BitDefender Internet Security 2010
      Compatible?: No
      Issues: Checks OS during install. Compatibility mode does not work.
      Fix: ?

Does anyone know if GData Internet Security 2010 is working on Windows Server 2008 R2? ❓

ESET NOD 4.2 x64 can work in Windows 2008 R2

But you need to use windows 7 activator before install nod

Please remeber you doing this for you own responsability and when you think to active you windows 2008R2 using win7 activator you lost access for Server mangament.
      This is just olny a my test and for me work fine.

Its not about crack etc… just when you use activator from win7 system will be always detect like windows 7

I tested Gdata and F-Secure:

Program Name: Gdata InternetSecurity 2010
      Issues: Nothing
      Fix: –

Program Name: F-Secure Internet Security 2010
      Issues: “You cant run F-Secure Internet Security 2010 on a server system.”
      Fix: –

PC Tools Internet Security 2010 seems to work for me. I am now in the process of updating the list.

EDIT: The list is updated except for the items that are left on the [r2security:kxb37m4s]Security Software[/r2security:kxb37m4s] page of the manual.

@jasio2k wrote:

ESET NOD 4.2 x64 can work in Windows 2008 R2

But you need to use windows 7 activator before install nod

Please remeber you doing this for you own responsability and when you think to active you windows 2008R2 using win7 activator you lost access for Server mangament.
      This is just olny a my test and for me work fine.

Its not about crack etc… just when you use activator from win7 system will be always detect like windows 7

Strange…Ive installed EAV without using any activators on clean Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. Works fine for me.

BTW: we are talking about ESS or EAV? And what a strange version 4.2 – both ESS and EAV have current version 4.0.467.

@Indrek wrote:

Installing Avira AntiVir Personal Edition on Windows Server 2008 R2:

@http://expertester.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/windows-server-2008-as-superworkstation wrote:

1.) Start –> Run –> Regedit
      2.) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE –> SYSTEM –> CurrentControlset –> Control
      3.) Now change the permissions of the folder “ProductOptions” –> add your user account (for example ComputernameUsername) and deny yourself the read rights for the whole folder. Be careful not to deny the whole rights for all administrators or something like that (I tried that first cause of a black out and it leads to windows not being able to boot).
      4.) Now you should be able to install Antivir PE

In case you want to revert the permission settings just log to your administrator account. Here you can again grant your user account full rights for “ProductOptions”.

Program Name: Avira AntiVir Personal Edition
      Compatible: yes, with a hack
      Issues: installer throws an error saying the product cannot be installed on a server OS
      Fix: http://expertester.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/windows-server-2008-as-superworkstation (scroll down to comment #2; article is about Server 2008, but the workaround described works on R2 as well)

I have a problem: the guard does not work, even when I try to start it manually? Avira is the best free antivirus out there!

Odd, it worked just fine for me. Do you get an error or anything when starting Avira? Are the related services (Avira AntiVir Guard and Avira AntiVir Scheduler) started and startup type set to Automatic?

@Indrek wrote:

Odd, it worked just fine for me. Do you get an error or anything when starting Avira? Are the related services (Avira AntiVir Guard and Avira AntiVir Scheduler) started and startup type set to Automatic?

Everything is right, all the services started and set to automatic. Actually I am trying to install Avira in Server 2003 (not 2008 R2), in VMWare, but the registry key seems to be the same. 😳

I Just purchased Vipre AV from Sunbelt Software. Cost 19.95 for a Site License. Installed with no issues on my laptop running server 2008 R2. It also works with Win 7.

Note: This price is only for Black Friday…..

Does Panda Cloud Antivirus work under 2k8 R2? I’m thinking about migrating from 7 to server, but Panda is a must for me.

@eXmband wrote:

Does Panda Cloud Antivirus work under 2k8 R2? I’m thinking about migrating from 7 to server, but Panda is a must for me.

I will check this out for you 🙂

As for the other posts, I’ll update the list when I have a few minutes.

how to install MSE in server2008R2 ? who can help me?

So far, no luck with Panda Cloud Antivirus… The free version does not support server OS…

Program Name: Panda Cloud Antivirus, Free version
      Issues: The free version does not support server OS…
      Fix: None, so far

Outpost Firewall Pro 2009 Ver. 6.7.1 (2983.450.0714)
      Eset Nod32 Antivirus 4 Business Edition Ver. 4.0.467.0

Both working

Hello, I got MS Security Essentials working on Server 2008 R2 using this howto!

1. Follow my original article up to (and including) the point where you copy the unpacked setup files.
      2. Download and install Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows. Choose the version of debugging tools matching your operating system version.
      3. Find WinDbg in the start menu and launch it elevated.
      4. In the WinDbg menu choose File -> Open Executable and open the unpacked Setup.exe. Say no to the question about saving workspace.
      5. A new window will show up. There will be a box for entering commands at the bottom of the new window. This is the command line.
      6. Write this into the command line and hit enter: bp ntdll!RtlGetNtProductType “as /x ReturnValue rcx; gu; ed ReturnValue 1; g”. This will set up a breakpoint that will modify the return value of RtlGetNtProductType (anyone has a clean way of doing this for 32bit Windows?)
      7. Write g on the command line and hit enter to resume the installer.
      8. The installer will start – focus it’s window and click Next.
      9. Go back to WinDbg. Hit Ctrl-Break. Type the command bc * to remove the breakpoint and after that g to resume the setup. Finish installing. Done.

[attachment=0:yqdv5iko]mse_server2008r2.JPG[/attachment:yqdv5iko]
      Enjoy!

Very cool. Have you confirmed that it’s actually working? Ie. scans the computer, detects malware and successfully updates? And most importantly, that no night elves empty your fridge at night? Wouldn’t want that to happen during the holidays 😛

@Indrek wrote:

Very cool. Have you confirmed that it’s actually working? Ie. scans the computer, detects malware and successfully updates? And most importantly, that no night elves empty your fridge at night? Wouldn’t want that to happen during the holidays 😛

Well from the screenshot it says 77300 items scanned and definitions are up-to-date so I would assume it works. You could try the EICAR Test Virus File to check and make sure the virus protection actually works.

I confirm the workaround for MSE works great. Kudos!

I’m having difficulty with the workaround…

When I try to run the first executable file, instead of having the option to continue, I am only given the option to cancel and exit out of the installer. I’ve tried running it on a Vista machine that I have, but it extracts the setup.exe file to a temporary location that I’m unable to locate when I search. Running the debugging tools on the first executable file errors out on me at some point having to do with an nt*.dll file. Any suggestions?

@rickd wrote:

I’m having difficulty with the workaround…

When I try to run the first executable file, instead of having the option to continue, I am only given the option to cancel and exit out of the installer. I’ve tried running it on a Vista machine that I have, but it extracts the setup.exe file to a temporary location that I’m unable to locate when I search. Running the debugging tools on the first executable file errors out on me at some point having to do with an nt*.dll file. Any suggestions?

Got this resolved. The setup files are dumped into a temp folder on the C: root.

I also discovered in the process that I hadn’t yet activated my copy of R2… odd.

Anyone get the Comodo Firewall to work on R2? IMO it still has the best control over outbd connections and registry access.

It’s possible to force install non server versions of antiviruses or internet securities?

Hi,

@yashau wrote:

I confirm the workaround for MSE works great. Kudos!

Absolutely brilliant. 😎

Thx to whomever sweated it out. :ugeek:

Cheers,

$

This workaround was fantastic, the first time. Now I’m getting an error.

First installation: Trial copy of WS2k8R2 during activation grace period
      Used WinDBG method, everything great.

Second installation: License came in mail, so did a clean install. Used same method, first attempt said Windows not valid. Panicked, went to Microsoft’s site, checked to make sure, yes it is valid. Tried to install again, it worked, but a message popped up saying I had 30 days to get genuine before MSE shuts down.

Any ideas? Is this a new version of the installer causing this? I have the old installer stashed somewhere on an external drive, I think, but if I simply did something wrong, I would rather uninstall / reinstall than deal with that.

EDIT: Tried uninstalling… can’t. Says that I’m running an unsupported OS. Tried a few things like using WinDBG similar to the install to see if I could uninstall using the setup file outside of the add/remove programs dialog, no luck. Anyone have any idea on how to at least do that? (NOTE – Reinstalled, so that part isn’t necessary for me at this time, but others may find it useful)

UPDATE – Ok, got it installed. Had to do two things:

1. Do not install any updates. (Using 2 with all updates failed for me, must be multiple issues…)
      2. Instead of the WinDbg steps from the linked blog post above, used the steps posted here:
      http://vspug.com/jeff102410/2010/02/06/install-microsoft-security-essentials-on-windows-server-2008-r2/
      Note: the only change is that ctrl+break isn’t used. The breakpoint is set, g is used to run the program, and it is left running.

In hindsight, I didn’t use the exact steps posted in this thread, they might work just fine.

Something about using the first method was preventing the installer from being seen as validated, and something about one of the updates kept the software from seeing windows as valid once installed.

Now that MSE is installed and working, I am installing updates to see if that breaks things.

What is still needed – a good guide for removing the software. Just in case some update causes just what I experienced, MSE failing for one reason or another. Rather than reinstalling Windows, it would be easier to just uninstall MSE. I don’t even know where to start on that, though I hope to poke around at it as I have time. Hoping someone more knowledgeable on it might already know the answer, or a large chunk of it.

Hi,

No idea what’s causing your problems with MSE but I installed it on several occasions without a glitch.
      I used both the method as described here and the one described on vspug. They’re essentially the same anyways.

Furthermore, I did installs on non-activated machines with and without updates, used the MSE I had since a few months and an updated version and all went fine so honestly, I don’t have a clue what’s happening at your end.

I’ll try uinstalling MSE on one of my machines and report back.

Cheers, 😉

$

Hi,

Thanks for this topic and your answers wich helped me to tweak my WS2008R2. 🙂

I tried to install Microsoft Security Essentials to my computer. Now I’m stuck because MSE found my copy of windows isn’t genuine. 😕
      All I do to prove my windows is genuine doesn’t works (I have it from MSDNAA) 🙁

Today, I can’t uninstall it so if someone find a solution it would be very helpful. 😉

Hi,

Not sure if I understand the problem correctly.
      The setup routine from MSE tells you the copy of W2K8S isn’t genuine, goes on to install itself regardless, yet now you want to uninstall MSE anyway?

The MSE uninstaller does the same version checking as the seup routine would do so it will return an error code.
      I think you’ll need to run the uninstaller through the debugger as you’ve done for the setup to get that to work out successfully.

If that doesn’t work there’s always the blunt axe method + registry cleaning to get rid of it I suppose….

Cheers, 😉

$

Thanks for your answer. 🙂

I’m sorry about the confusion. I installed MSE with the debug tool method, but it tells me that my windows isn’t genuine. Impossible to prove that my windows is a real one.

So I tried to uninstall it, but the debug method doesn’t work because I can’t locate where the files are unpacked (if they are)

That’s why I’m stuck :mrgreen:

Thanks for your answer about the blunt axe method + registry cleaning but I don’t know what blunt axe method is. 😕

@Alma wrote:

I’m sorry about the confusion. I installed MSE with the debug tool method, but it tells me that my windows isn’t genuine. Impossible to prove that my windows is a real one.

It passed the validation during installation, yet now it’s telling you that your copy of Windows isn’t genuine? That doesn’t make sense, I thought MSE only validated the OS during installation, and after that it shouldn’t do it anymore.

I know it’s weird, but it’s the case.

The setup.exe installed the application then, when it started for the first time it told me that my Windows isn’t genuine. 😕

For uninstalling MS Security Essentials, use the same trick as with Zune.
      Also, you probably must manually stop “Antimalware Service” before uninstalling Security Essentials.

Thanks for your reply.

It didn’t work very well, but now it doesn’t run anymore :mrgreen:

I installed Avast. I hope it will work better. 😉

Also, Security Essentials create some registry entries which cannot be deleted by running regedit.exe under any common user account.
      You can delete these files by running regedit using sethc.exe hack.

Well, I uploaded the “old good” version of Security Essentials, compatible with Server 2008 R2.
      Unzip it using 7zip and follow readme.txt.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer about the blunt axe method + registry cleaning but I don’t know what blunt axe method is.

Ask a New Yorker or an Amsterdammer and I’m sure they’ll explain the expression to you. 😎
      In this case it just means delete the files MSE dumped on your HD and search the registry for orphans and kill those too.
      That said, you must have the oddest copy of W2KS8 I’ve ever heard of….

@AsciiWolf
      :
      Some of us need catching up, yours truly in particular.
      So, if you don’t mind, Sir, could you be a little more explicit when replying? TIA. Sorry for my abysmal mindreading…

Cheers, 😉

Use McAffe Enterprise v8.7i dudes 🙂
      It works!!

and very good by the way

Looks like the newest version of MSE does validation checks during normal operation as well, which makes it incompatible with WS2008R2. I tried installing it, both as an upgrade, and by completely uninstalling the previous version (Revo Uninstaller Pro comes in handy here) and doing a clean install of MSE, and neither worked. So I’m going back to my older, good copy.

Anyone know what other features the newest version contains? And more importantly, any enterprising hackers feel like making it work with R2?

Hi,

Isn’t telling you at every boot up that your copy of W2K8-R2 isn’t genuine annoying enough?

Besides that it tells you it will stop working after 30 days. So what do you do?

Obviously MS gor wind of our clever little trick… Can’t really blame them.

Easiest workaround is to dump an image containing the older version of MSE and block the upgrade. Works for me.

Cheers,

$

Well, I’ve ditched MSE and gone back to Avira. Only hiccup was that Avira version 10 no longer seems to check the ProductOptions key, so the registry hack doesn’t work. Version 9.0.0.418 seems to be the last version for which the hack works. Get it from here:
      http://www.filehippo.com/download_antivir/6685

Only problem is that support for version 9 will end on 30.09, but I’m hoping someone will have figured out a way to install it on R2 by then.

I have Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 with MalwareBytes 1.45 fully working.

Just a heads up, you can pick up a single usage OEM copy of SEP 11 off newegg.com for $39.99 which isn’t a bad deal.

Program Name: Bitdefender Internet Security 2010
      Issues: Won’t install on Server (Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2)
      Fix: Yes
      – Download install file from:

http://download.bitdefender.com/windows/desktop/internet_security/final/en/x64/bitdefender_internetsecurity_2010_64b.exe

– Extract it ( I used 7zip)

– After extract, open bdis.msi with Orca

http://www.technipages.com/download-orca-msi-editor.html

– On Launch Condition, drop line:

(MsiNTProductType <> 3 AND MsiNTProductType <> 2) OR (MsiNTProductType = 3 AND (WindowsBuild >= 3790 AND ISWHS<>""))

– Save it, run Setup.exe

– Choose Custom Install

– Don’t check Disable DNS Cache, Turn of Windows Firewall, Turn off Windows Defender.

@Indrek wrote:

Well, I’ve ditched MSE and gone back to Avira. Only hiccup was that Avira version 10 no longer seems to check the ProductOptions key, so the registry hack doesn’t work. Version 9.0.0.418 seems to be the last version for which the hack works. Get it from here:
      http://www.filehippo.com/download_antivir/6685

Only problem is that support for version 9 will end on 30.09, but I’m hoping someone will have figured out a way to install it on R2 by then.

I think a workaround may help.

I found that version 10 is unable to install on 2k8 R2 today so I go here to find any solution. But I found Indrek have pointed out this issue.

However, I found that using version 10 via upgrade from verison 9 is still possible.
      I have installed version 9 after installation of 2k8 R2, and I have upgraded to version 10 without any problem. Also I have tried to upgrade from free version to security suite, and no pop up found, but all components will be installed during upgrade, you can only remove any components via “change” in control panel.
      So I wonder it maybe possible to install version 9 first, then upgrade it to version 10. I don’t know if it works on yours 2k8 R2 or not.
      And direct installation of version 10, hope there will be work around soon.

You mean upgraded from within Avira, as opposed to downloading the new version manually? How do you do that? I looked around in the program but didn’t find a way to upgrade the product version.

Sorry for my poor English.

I mean first install the Avira AntiVir Personal version 9, whereever you downlaod or get it, first, and it should be okay using the work around posted at 1st page of this thread.

Then download the newest version, and it should be version 10. Double click it to install. I thought that as it detects an older version of Avira had installed on the system, so it directly upgrade the product without letting you to choose express or manually setting like what we can do in clean installation.

Avira doesn’t do such upgrades, the installer will first remove the older version and then install the new one. Unless they’ve changed that behaviour with version 10, of course.
      I’m downloading v10 right now and will try it out, but I doubt it’ll work.

Edit: well paint me red and call me grandma, it works! Looks like upgrading bypasses the OS version check. Avira 10 is running and everything (updating, scanning, detecting) seems to work. Thanks for the tip!

Yup that works a treat, on both 32bit and 64 bit versions of all server oses.

AWESOME.

I found that the copy of MSE on Microsoft Security Essentials won’t install due to incompatible OS. I was going to try the trick with using WinDbg to modify the setup file which didn’t work either.

So, I decided to go check out the new MSE 2.0 beta on Microsoft Connect. Installs perfectly fine and runs just as well. I don’t even notice a degradation in speed.

I downloaded it from Connect and uploaded to Mediafire for you all to enjoy. You shouldn’t have any problems. I’m using Server 2008 R2 Standard with all updates and no SP1 beta.

Link: MSE 2.0 beta x64

Program Name: Bitdefender Internet Security 2011
      Issues: Won’t install on Server (Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2)
      Fix: Please read my tutorial at http://nhlan.info/2011/08/tutorial/install-bitdefender-internet-security-2011-on-windows-server-2008-r2/

First post is incorrect. Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 Beta does work. Needs to be changed to reflect this. Screenshot proof is attached.

@raiden89 wrote:

First post is incorrect. Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 Beta does work. Needs to be changed to reflect this. Screenshot proof is attached.

You put “mainframe” in your description. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL.

Yeah. I just keep it simple with stuff like that. Computer description/name, etc. Couldn’t think of anything else I’d like to put there. I thought that screenshot would resize, but it didn’t.

Hello.Avira and Bitdefender are in top best antivirus 2010.Have you heard about it?best antivirus software contains the reviews of the best antiviruses
      hope it will help you

Program Name: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4
      Reason: Won’t install on Server (Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2)
      Fix: See this comment posted.
      Issues: ESET NOD32 has known compatibility issues with Service Pack 2 on Server 2008 and Windows Update in general. When attempting to install any new role or feature in Server Manager the system crashes.
      Recommendation: Remove ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 on your machine immediately if you have it installed.

I searched and came back with no hits anywhere, so I’m going to post this without browsing all 7 pages. Sorry if I missed it…

Microsoft Forefront Client Security just works, and from what I can tell you get the full version if you install the client from the trial. Sign up for the trial, get the image, and then do the following once you have it mounted or burned:

Open command line as admin
      If you have x64 (assuming this as this is for R2) and using D: as your image, then run:
      D:CLIENTX64CLIENTSETUP.EXE /NOMOM

If you happen to be running x86:
      D:CLIENTCLIENTSETUP.EXE /NOMOM

The /NOMOM option installs it so that your copy points to Microsoft for updates, rather than a Forefront server.

It will install, then you can update through MS Update. Works just like Security Essentials, and you don’t have to worry about whether the final of 2.0 breaks compatibility, as compatibility eventually broke with even the hack method to get the old version installed.

I believe this will run “forever,” though I haven’t done anything like comparing files between the trial image and the Technet-sourced image I have now. As FCS is more (entirely?) focused on businesses that also want the server-side management tools, I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t any licensing wired into the client, as if you don’t pay for your licenses as a business it is much easier for a company to come down hard on you. The server software also is pretty expensive, so the per-client license seems more like the icing on the cake than the real source of income.

Sure, you can get MSE to work, at least for now. Or you can use some other supported virus scan. But this is free (as best as I can tell, YMMV, someone feel free to correct me if I am way off on this), and if you happen to like MSE, this is basically the same thing with a different name.

First post is still incorrect. If you want an accurate list of what works and what doesn’t, you need to modify the list to reflect the programs that actually do work, like the MSE 2.0. A moderator needs to correct this list as Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 Beta does work.

@raiden89 wrote:

First post is still incorrect. If you want an accurate list of what works and what doesn’t, you need to modify the list to reflect the programs that actually do work, like the MSE 2.0. A moderator needs to correct this list as Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 Beta does work.

It may work, but there is no guarantee that it will continue to work when it comes out of beta. That is important to note as well. Clicking around the Microsoft Connect site, the system requirements links you to the current MSE site, and that states:

Operating System: Genuine Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7

The workaround for the non-beta MSE (1.x) worked beautifully for a while, and then blew up on an update, telling you that you had an unlicensed copy of Windows. Maybe Microsoft will be kind this time and not do that. Maybe it will not happen until the second or third patch. But it could definitely happen.

Worse still, if you update it, and it breaks, and then you attempt to uninstall, you may be met with a message that your system is not supported. (OS check wasn’t there when you installed, now it is when you try to uninstall.)

@raiden89 wrote:

Final Version of MSE 2.0 runs on every 2008 Server OS, NT 6 and 6.1

@tramusen wrote:

It may work, but there is no guarantee that it will continue to work when it comes out of beta.

It DOES work with the Final product.

Just use vista-7-x86 version for Server08 32bit and the vista-7-amd64 version for all other Servers.

I run Microsoft Security Essentials, the latest version 2.0, on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 successfully 😮 on both Domain Client and Domain Server (ADS).

You can simply use 7zip to unpack the mseinstall.exe and install directly. Mine is working for installing this way.

Avast! 6.0 Home Edition doesn’t work on server 2008r2sp1,and can you recommend me some good and free [s:1x0oc1k8]ro decrkca :mrgreen:[/s:1x0oc1k8] security software?

Thx~

@Asian wrote:

Avast! 6.0 Home Edition doesn’t work on server 2008r2sp1,and can you recommend me some good and free [s:3ro4ih4p]ro decrkca :mrgreen:[/s:3ro4ih4p] security software?

Thx~

MSE installs and works flawlessly on Windows Server 2008R2 as of May 2011, no workaround needed

just like to add that kis 2011 v11.0.2.556 works great with server r2 2008
      just mod the msi file if your unsure about doing it i have added a link to download modded one
      but you will need a serial number to activate it. if your in the uk and have a bank account with
      barclays you can get a free 3pc serial number..

https://rapidshare.com/files/3514559065/kavkis.7z

[attachment=0:1k9972s1]Capture.JPG[/attachment:1k9972s1]

Antivirus: AVG Free 2011
      Works: No

Reason: I recently tried out AVG Free 2011 edition on my laptop which has a fresh install of R2 in and I found the online installer from AVG does not work. You can download the offline installer from File Hippo and the installation works fine, but the AV will not update. The update always returns with an “Update error” message every single time you try to rerun the “program update” from AVG. Even manually saving the database file and importing it into AVG does not work as the problem is with the installation and not with downloading.

Anonymous

Antivirus: AVG Free 2011
        Works: No

Reason: I recently tried out AVG Free 2011 edition on my laptop which has a fresh install of R2 in and I found the online installer from AVG does not work. You can download the offline installer from File Hippo and the installation works fine, but the AV will not update. The update always returns with an “Update error” message every single time you try to rerun the “program update” from AVG. Even manually saving the database file and importing it into AVG does not work as the problem is with the installation and not with downloading.

I got MSE working on Server 2008 R2, without any hacks.

However, My AT&T Security Center Refuses to work “To install, please install a supported OS”

[attachment=0:2hhf88mn]MSE.png[/attachment:2hhf88mn]

Anonymous

I got MSE working on Server 2008 R2, without any hacks.

However, My AT&T Security Center Refuses to work “To install, please install a supported OS”

[attachment=0:2hhf88mn]MSE.png[/attachment:2hhf88mn]

Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 is not longer working with the MSI workarround, you will get a program integrity error.

– edited with orca, install successfully
          – after the first start: error with the license, programm integrity failed “please reinstall application”

Any ideas how to fix that? Seems like it will be difficult 😐

Anonymous

Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 is not longer working with the MSI workarround, you will get a program integrity error.

– edited with orca, install successfully
            – after the first start: error with the license, programm integrity failed “please reinstall application”

Any ideas how to fix that? Seems like it will be difficult 😐

Program Name: Calmwin
            Compatible: Yes
            Issues: No
            Fix: No
            Free and Open Source 😛

Program Name: Vipre

Anonymous

Program Name: Calmwin
              Free and Open Source 😛

Program Name: Vipre

Is there any workaround to make the free Avira AV to work on R2? According to the recent VB100 test, it is still one of the best AV out there, even better than many well-known paid AV.

Currently MSE installs and works flawlessly without any hacks but I still prefer Avira AV

Anonymous

Is there any workaround to make the free Avira AV to work on R2? According to the recent VB100 test, it is still one of the best AV out there, even better than many well-known paid AV.

Currently MSE installs and works flawlessly without any hacks but I still prefer Avira AV

@thaikinh wrote:

Oh you mean this?! I will provide a video tutorial on how I got it to work later.

Anonymous

@thaikinh wrote:

Oh you mean this?! I will provide a video tutorial on how I got it to work later.

I am thinking of trying to install Kasperky Pure 2012 instead of AVG. is it compatible? if not, is there a workaround?

Thanks!

Anonymous

I am thinking of trying to install Kasperky Pure 2012 instead of AVG. is it compatible? if not, is there a workaround?

Thanks!

@Enigma wrote:

Thanks!

There is no Kaspersky Pure 2012 available, last version is 9.1.0.124 and it’s compatible with the “msi hack”

Anonymous

@Enigma wrote:

Thanks!

There is no Kaspersky Pure 2012 available, last version is 9.1.0.124 and it’s compatible with the “msi hack”

It seems Avira released new version, and changed the name a bit, to Avira Free Antivirus 2012. I didn’t manage to upgrade existing version to new one, I got the message “An installation on server system of this product is not possible. The setup will be cancelled.“. Did anyone manage to install new version on Server Windows? Any tips?

Anonymous

It seems Avira released new version, and changed the name a bit, to Avira Free Antivirus 2012. I didn’t manage to upgrade existing version to new one, I got the message “An installation on server system of this product is not possible. The setup will be cancelled.“. Did anyone manage to install new version on Server Windows? Any tips?

@IgorHW wrote:

IgorHW,

Follow my video tutorial below:

[youtube:1h3y41uy]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmHVHWXWNiY[/youtube:1h3y41uy]

List of software packages you will need to complete this task:

Application Verifier: DOWNLOAD

WinRAR 64-bit for R2: DOWNLOAD

Anonymous

@IgorHW wrote:

IgorHW,

[youtube:1h3y41uy]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmHVHWXWNiY[/youtube:1h3y41uy]

Thanks.

BTW Exceptions are real easy to find, from Configuration>Realtime Protection you just needed to expand “Scan” and there it is 🙂

Anonymous

Thanks.

BTW Exceptions are real easy to find, from Configuration>Realtime Protection you just needed to expand “Scan” and there it is 🙂

I see. Well like I said it was completely new experience to me. My review was a bit biased granted. I still am a fan of ESET its extremely light…my PC was booting up in 26 seconds with ESET and it jumped to 38 seconds with Avira. I tried Microsoft Security Essentials and it was only a few seconds faster. ESET for win!

Anonymous

I see. Well like I said it was completely new experience to me. My review was a bit biased granted. I still am a fan of ESET its extremely light…my PC was booting up in 26 seconds with ESET and it jumped to 38 seconds with Avira. I tried Microsoft Security Essentials and it was only a few seconds faster. ESET for win!

Here is my video tutorial on how to install AVAST! Free on Windows Server, with working updates.

[youtube:36eq812k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JAcH9B8mkI[/youtube:36eq812k]

Anonymous

Here is my video tutorial on how to install AVAST! Free on Windows Server, with working updates.

[youtube:36eq812k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JAcH9B8mkI[/youtube:36eq812k]

@halladayrules wrote:

@thaikinh wrote:

Thanks a lot, you made my day 😆

But one thing is you can you the free, opensource 7-zip to extract the .exe file instead of Winrar

Anonymous

@halladayrules wrote:

@thaikinh wrote:

Thanks a lot, you made my day 😆

But one thing is you can you the free, opensource 7-zip to extract the .exe file instead of Winrar

hackerman1

@halladayrules wrote:

i get a strange errormessage: “This video contains content from WMG and SME.
                                    It is not available in your country”

???

could you please post written instructions on how to install AVAST ?
                                    or perhaps fix the video ?

Anonymous

@halladayrules wrote:

i get a strange errormessage: “This video contains content from WMG and SME.

???

@halladayrules wrote:

@IgorHW wrote:

IgorHW,

[youtube:1fwo3xhu]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmHVHWXWNiY[/youtube:1fwo3xhu]

Thanks for this. I received a “mfc100u.dll is missing” error message when installing. In case anyone else runs into this, in order to fix this C++ 2010 x86 must be installed.
                                      C++ 2010 x86 download

Anonymous

@halladayrules wrote:

@IgorHW wrote:

IgorHW,

[youtube:1fwo3xhu]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmHVHWXWNiY[/youtube:1fwo3xhu]

Thanks for this. I received a “mfc100u.dll is missing” error message when installing. In case anyone else runs into this, in order to fix this C++ 2010 x86 must be installed.
                                        C++ 2010 x86 download

hackerman1

AVAST 6 installs using “Deny rights on ProductOptions-folder”.
                                          but, it doesn´t update.

Security Software Compatibility List:

“Got Avast 5 working on R2, with updates and all, by changing the three avast services to log on as a local account (as opposed to the “Local System” account). To do this, create a new account, make it a member of “Administrators”, do Scimitar’s “Deny Read” registry hack against the new account, temporarily disable the Avast! self-defense module (in settingstroubleshooting within the Avast GUI), open server manager and assign the new account to all three avast services, restart the services, re-enable self-defense, enjoy.”

which 3 AVAST-services is that ?
                                          “open server-manager” ?
                                          where in server-manager can that be changed ?
                                          i suspect it´s in SERVICES, not server-manager ?

Anonymous

AVAST 6 installs using “Deny rights on ProductOptions-folder”.
                                            but, it doesn´t update.

Security Software Compatibility List:

“Got Avast 5 working on R2, with updates and all, by changing the three avast services to log on as a local account (as opposed to the “Local System” account). To do this, create a new account, make it a member of “Administrators”, do Scimitar’s “Deny Read” registry hack against the new account, temporarily disable the Avast! self-defense module (in settingstroubleshooting within the Avast GUI), open server manager and assign the new account to all three avast services, restart the services, re-enable self-defense, enjoy.”

which 3 AVAST-services is that ?
                                            “open server-manager” ?
                                            where in server-manager can that be changed ?
                                            i suspect it´s in SERVICES, not server-manager ?

hackerman1

to halladayrules:

i posted in this thread, and i have also sent a PM to you in December but it´s still in my outbox, could it be that your inbox is full ?

you wrote: “Here is my video tutorial on how to install AVAST! Free on Windows Server, with working updates.”

when i try to view that video i get a strange errormessage: “This video contains content from WMG and SME.

???

please, i need info on how to fix it.

Anonymous

to halladayrules:

i posted in this thread, and i have also sent a PM to you in December but it´s still in my outbox, could it be that your inbox is full ?

you wrote: “Here is my video tutorial on how to install AVAST! Free on Windows Server, with working updates.”

when i try to view that video i get a strange errormessage: “This video contains content from WMG and SME.

???

please, i need info on how to fix it.

@Remiel wrote:

@Enigma wrote:

Thanks!

I just searched for “msi hack” and found only a few threads dating back to 2009.

I’d like to install Kaspersky Internet Security (either 2011 or 2012) but was wondering if I needed to hack before a successful installation run.

Thanks to anyone who has tried.

Anonymous

@Remiel wrote:

@Enigma wrote:

Thanks!

I just searched for “msi hack” and found only a few threads dating back to 2009.

I’d like to install Kaspersky Internet Security (either 2011 or 2012) but was wondering if I needed to hack before a successful installation run.

Thanks to anyone who has tried.

Good to know that Malwarebytes does work on this Win2008workstation.

I’m impressed!

Anonymous

Good to know that Malwarebytes does work on this Win2008workstation.

I’m impressed!

hackerman1

hi !

How to install Kaspersky Internet Security 2012

run the Kaspersky-installer
                                                      while it´s unpacking the files go to your temp-folder and copy the 3 Kaspersky-files (kavkis.cab, kavkis.msi, setup.exe) to another folder

open Orca and edit your new copy of kavkis.msi:
                                                      edit “Tables”
                                                      go to “InstallUISequence”
                                                      search for “ErrorIncompatibleOSTypeSet”
                                                      drop row
                                                      close Orca & save kavkis.msi
                                                      run setup.exe

and if you have other A/V´s or firewalls installed and want to keep them, then run setup.exe with “/SKIPPRODUCTCHECK=1”

Anonymous

hi !

How to install Kaspersky Internet Security 2012

run the Kaspersky-installer
                                                        while it´s unpacking the files go to your temp-folder and copy the 3 Kaspersky-files (kavkis.cab, kavkis.msi, setup.exe) to another folder

open Orca and edit your new copy of kavkis.msi:
                                                        edit “Tables”
                                                        go to “InstallUISequence”
                                                        search for “ErrorIncompatibleOSTypeSet”
                                                        drop row
                                                        close Orca & save kavkis.msi
                                                        run setup.exe

and if you have other A/V´s or firewalls installed and want to keep them, then run setup.exe with “/SKIPPRODUCTCHECK=1”

If you do this you might get an “programm integrity error” from kaspersky directly and it says a new install is requiered.

Do you test this? Can u please make screenshot of working KIS 2012?

I gave up for a few month 🙁

Anonymous

If you do this you might get an “programm integrity error” from kaspersky directly and it says a new install is requiered.

hackerman1

@Remiel wrote:

no, i got exactly the same problem as you…
                                                            when i was looking for a solution i found your post….
                                                            but i have a few wild ideas, going to try again tomorrow.

Anonymous

@Remiel wrote:

no, i got exactly the same problem as you…
                                                              when i was looking for a solution i found your post….
                                                              but i have a few wild ideas, going to try again tomorrow.

I tried to set the incompatible OS Typ to 1 instead of 3 that KIS only can be installed on Server OS, also I used application verifer for every excecutable file after i installed KIS but then i get the error: KIS was installed for the wrong OS type … hell I really give it up 🙁

Anonymous

I tried to set the incompatible OS Typ to 1 instead of 3 that KIS only can be installed on Server OS, also I used application verifer for every excecutable file after i installed KIS but then i get the error: KIS was installed for the wrong OS type … hell I really give it up 🙁

This guide still works for KIS 2011 but I guess we’re out of luck for the 2012 version:

http://maxbarrass.blogspot.com/2008/09/installing-kaspersky-internet-security.html

Also in lieu of Step #3 below, what I did was just extract KIS 2011 onto a folder. Clicked on Kavkis.msi, and chose edit with ORCA and followed the guide. I just had to remove a few more rows from the table that started with “ErrorIncompatible” since the guide was for KIS 2008.

I skipped this step as I couldn’t find the temp folder: 🙂

3. Start kis8.0.0.454en.exe and while its running from your temp folder copy the msi it creates, ill call it kis8.0.0.454en.exe.msi.

Anonymous

This guide still works for KIS 2011 but I guess we’re out of luck for the 2012 version:

http://maxbarrass.blogspot.com/2008/09/installing-kaspersky-internet-security.html

Also in lieu of Step #3 below, what I did was just extract KIS 2011 onto a folder. Clicked on Kavkis.msi, and chose edit with ORCA and followed the guide. I just had to remove a few more rows from the table that started with “ErrorIncompatible” since the guide was for KIS 2008.

I skipped this step as I couldn’t find the temp folder: 🙂

3. Start kis8.0.0.454en.exe and while its running from your temp folder copy the msi it creates, ill call it kis8.0.0.454en.exe.msi.

hackerman1

Hi !

I just tried to install Avira, using App-verifier.
                                                                    But i get an errormsg: MSVCR100.dll is missing

any ideas ?

Anonymous

Hi !

I just tried to install Avira, using App-verifier.
                                                                      But i get an errormsg: MSVCR100.dll is missing

any ideas ?

hackerman1

hi !

Problem solved !
                                                                        i followed the advise from zagnut, C++ 2010 x86 fixed the error with MSVCR100.dll

@zagnut wrote:

I received a “mfc100u.dll is missing” error message when installing. In case anyone else runs into this, in order to fix this C++ 2010 x86 must be installed.
                                                                        C++ 2010 x86 download

Anonymous

hi !

Problem solved !
                                                                          i followed the advise from zagnut, C++ 2010 x86 fixed the error with MSVCR100.dll

@zagnut wrote:

I received a “mfc100u.dll is missing” error message when installing. In case anyone else runs into this, in order to fix this C++ 2010 x86 must be installed.
                                                                          C++ 2010 x86 download

• #49294

Avast! 7 Free don’t worx….

• #59105
                                                                          Anonymous

Avast! 7 Free don’t worx….

• #49295

The application verifier trick does not work with Eaesus Partition Manager Home edition or Minitool Partition Wizard. To bad, I need to format my SDcard to EXT4 to work with my Android phone 🙁

• #59106
                                                                            Anonymous

The application verifier trick does not work with Eaesus Partition Manager Home edition or Minitool Partition Wizard. To bad, I need to format my SDcard to EXT4 to work with my Android phone 🙁

• #49296
                                                                              hackerman1
                                                                              Moderator

@thaikinh wrote:

from wikipedia regarding ext4:”Another option for using ext4 in Windows is to use Ext2Fsd [20], a free-software program that recently has added support of writing in ext4 under Windows.”

if that doesn´t work then you can download a linux-distribution, like fx. Ubuntu and then run the Linux-live demo, or get Knoppix.
                                                                                Knoppix is excellent if you need to access yor Windows-partitions and fx. copy files that you normally can´t access while your running your Windows O/S or if you can´t login to your O/S.

http://ubuntu.com/

http://www.knoppix.org/

• #59107
                                                                                Anonymous

@thaikinh wrote:

from wikipedia regarding ext4:”Another option for using ext4 in Windows is to use Ext2Fsd [20], a free-software program that recently has added support of writing in ext4 under Windows.”

if that doesn´t work then you can download a linux-distribution, like fx. Ubuntu and then run the Linux-live demo, or get Knoppix.
                                                                                  Knoppix is excellent if you need to access yor Windows-partitions and fx. copy files that you normally can´t access while your running your Windows O/S or if you can´t login to your O/S.

• #49297
                                                                                  hackerman1
                                                                                  Moderator

hi !

I saw today that someone now has listed Avast 7 as working on the Securitysoftware-list.
                                                                                    But it should perhaps be mentioned that the first Avast 7-version (7.1407) does NOT work !
                                                                                    Atleast not on my PC……
                                                                                    My PC hangs both during installation and afterward when trying to do just about anything with AVAST.
                                                                                    I had to do a “hardkill”, removing both the power supply and the battery !

However, i installed the latest version (7.1426), and it installed normally, and also started normally.
                                                                                    So make sure you get the latest version if you are going to install AVAST…. 😉

• #59108
                                                                                    Anonymous

hi !

I saw today that someone now has listed Avast 7 as working on the Securitysoftware-list.
                                                                                      But it should perhaps be mentioned that the first Avast 7-version (7.1407) does NOT work !
                                                                                      Atleast not on my PC……
                                                                                      My PC hangs both during installation and afterward when trying to do just about anything with AVAST.
                                                                                      I had to do a “hardkill”, removing both the power supply and the battery !

However, i installed the latest version (7.1426), and it installed normally, and also started normally.
                                                                                      So make sure you get the latest version if you are going to install AVAST…. 😉

• #49298

@hackerman1 wrote:

@thaikinh wrote:

I understand what you mean, but first I want to format the microsd card to ext4, next I will use another software to write files to the card in Windows.

I know about Ubuntu or Gpart, but if I can do everything in Windows, it is more convenient

• #59109
                                                                                      Anonymous

@hackerman1 wrote:

@thaikinh wrote:

I understand what you mean, but first I want to format the microsd card to ext4, next I will use another software to write files to the card in Windows.

I know about Ubuntu or Gpart, but if I can do everything in Windows, it is more convenient

• #49299

Has anybody gotten Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 to work? I only have KIS 2011 working with the earlier trick mentioned in this thread.

Why are people not sticking to the Microsoft Security Essential when it’s gotten favorable reviews? Is it not compatible with the Windows Server 2008 R2 build? TIA.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6298&review=antivirus+security+shootout+comparison

EDIT:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29942

The Pre-release is actually now available:
                                                                                        System requirements:
                                                                                        Supported operating systems: Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Just installed this and got rid off KIS 2011 as scanning was taking forever compared to my KIS 2012 installs on all other Windows 7 machines.

• #59110
                                                                                        Anonymous

Has anybody gotten Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 to work? I only have KIS 2011 working with the earlier trick mentioned in this thread.

Why are people not sticking to the Microsoft Security Essential when it’s gotten favorable reviews? Is it not compatible with the Windows Server 2008 R2 build? TIA.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6298&review=antivirus+security+shootout+comparison

EDIT:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29942

The Pre-release is actually now available:
                                                                                          System requirements:
                                                                                          Supported operating systems: Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Just installed this and got rid off KIS 2011 as scanning was taking forever compared to my KIS 2012 installs on all other Windows 7 machines.

• #49300

It’s not possible to run KIS 2012 on a 2k8 Server machine.
                                                                                          We tried several things in the past. The known way to edit the msi is working for the installer but later you will get a certificate error.

• #59111
                                                                                          Anonymous

It’s not possible to run KIS 2012 on a 2k8 Server machine.
                                                                                            We tried several things in the past. The known way to edit the msi is working for the installer but later you will get a certificate error.

• #49301

MSE V4 works on Server edition now 😀

• #59112
                                                                                            Anonymous

MSE V4 works on Server edition now 😀

• #49302

The Technical Preview of the KIS 2013 runs fine on Server 2008 R2

• #59113
                                                                                              Anonymous

• #49303

@Remiel wrote:

Can anyone confirm that the current version of KIS 2013 does work on Server 2008 R2? Thank you.

http://www.kaspersky.ca/products-services/home-computer-security/internet-security

• #59114
                                                                                                Anonymous

@Remiel wrote:

Can anyone confirm that the current version of KIS 2013 does work on Server 2008 R2? Thank you.

http://www.kaspersky.ca/products-services/home-computer-security/internet-security

• #49304

@internalaudit wrote:

@Remiel wrote:

Was told it will not be compatible:

Basilio D Wed, 8/29/2012 09:43:58 pm
                                                                                                  Hello. Please allow me a moment to read the problem description that you entered.

Wed, 8/29/2012 09:44:14 pm
                                                                                                  Hi Basilio, good afternoon.

I just wanted to know if KIS 2013 will be compatible with WINDOWS SERVER 2008 R2? I was sure KIS 2012 wasn’t and just wanted to confirm with you.

Basilio D Wed, 8/29/2012 09:44:56 pm
                                                                                                  It will not be compatible with Windows Server.

Wed, 8/29/2012 09:45:53 pm
                                                                                                  Thanks for confirming this. Are there products compatible with Windows Server?

Basilio D Wed, 8/29/2012 09:46:10 pm
                                                                                                  We have Small Office Security, which is compatible.

Otherwise, you will need to use a Business product.

Wed, 8/29/2012 09:46:47 pm
                                                                                                  Thanks for confirming Basilio.

Have a pleasant day.

Basilio D Wed, 8/29/2012 09:46:55 pm
                                                                                                  You’re welcome. Have a good day as well!

• #59115
                                                                                                  Anonymous

@internalaudit wrote:

@Remiel wrote:

Was told it will not be compatible:

Basilio D Wed, 8/29/2012 09:43:58 pm
                                                                                                    Hello. Please allow me a moment to read the problem description that you entered.

Wed, 8/29/2012 09:44:14 pm
                                                                                                    Hi Basilio, good afternoon.

I just wanted to know if KIS 2013 will be compatible with WINDOWS SERVER 2008 R2? I was sure KIS 2012 wasn’t and just wanted to confirm with you.

Basilio D Wed, 8/29/2012 09:44:56 pm
                                                                                                    It will not be compatible with Windows Server.

Wed, 8/29/2012 09:45:53 pm
                                                                                                    Thanks for confirming this. Are there products compatible with Windows Server?

Basilio D Wed, 8/29/2012 09:46:10 pm
                                                                                                    We have Small Office Security, which is compatible.

Otherwise, you will need to use a Business product.

Wed, 8/29/2012 09:46:47 pm
                                                                                                    Thanks for confirming Basilio.

Have a pleasant day.

Basilio D Wed, 8/29/2012 09:46:55 pm
                                                                                                    You’re welcome. Have a good day as well!

• #49305

Hi evryB I don’t see my Vipre antivirus in here.
                                                                                                    For 2008 R2, its Antivirus program the best I’ve found.
                                                                                                    Like 2008 R2 is running so smooth it needs a Virus protector, running with it,
                                                                                                    not against
                                                                                                    -like Kaspersky: an old rusty Russian Boat, slows down my work,
                                                                                                    same Bitdefender: totaly takes control out of hands- it can be a desaster-
                                                                                                    G-data bllaaaahh-Ive tested all antivirus out there even asian Antivire:
                                                                                                    few good out there as well .

But back to Vipre and why I prefer it:
                                                                                                    You can easy train your’e firewall – (but turn off Win firewall include
                                                                                                    service etc.1st! before installing Vipre)
                                                                                                    Quarantine: Easy reset your well kept Trojanhorses back to funktion.
                                                                                                    Vipre blockes webtraffic so well.. and other blocks
                                                                                                    with understandable description..(very important to make a good choise with firewall).
                                                                                                    You can work freely also online when scanner is running.

Even gaming is possible when deep scanning is running.

I only have 2 gigabyte Ram installed and a CPU AMD Athlon 3500+
                                                                                                    midrange Grafic nVidea Geforce 6600 GT (which is all not very fancy.)
                                                                                                    But all works very smooth, better than all my friends with fancy new stuff etc.
                                                                                                    In my opinion thats freedom and thats why I choose Server 2008 R2
                                                                                                    together with Vipre Premium.
                                                                                                    :mrgreen:
                                                                                                    at last: Vipre is very inexpensive for lifetime, only pay ones!

• #59116
                                                                                                    Anonymous

Hi evryB I don’t see my Vipre antivirus in here.
                                                                                                      For 2008 R2, its Antivirus program the best I’ve found.
                                                                                                      Like 2008 R2 is running so smooth it needs a Virus protector, running with it,
                                                                                                      not against
                                                                                                      -like Kaspersky: an old rusty Russian Boat, slows down my work,
                                                                                                      same Bitdefender: totaly takes control out of hands- it can be a desaster-
                                                                                                      G-data bllaaaahh-Ive tested all antivirus out there even asian Antivire:
                                                                                                      few good out there as well .

But back to Vipre and why I prefer it:
                                                                                                      You can easy train your’e firewall – (but turn off Win firewall include
                                                                                                      service etc.1st! before installing Vipre)
                                                                                                      Quarantine: Easy reset your well kept Trojanhorses back to funktion.
                                                                                                      Vipre blockes webtraffic so well.. and other blocks
                                                                                                      with understandable description..(very important to make a good choise with firewall).
                                                                                                      You can work freely also online when scanner is running.

Even gaming is possible when deep scanning is running.

I only have 2 gigabyte Ram installed and a CPU AMD Athlon 3500+
                                                                                                      midrange Grafic nVidea Geforce 6600 GT (which is all not very fancy.)
                                                                                                      But all works very smooth, better than all my friends with fancy new stuff etc.
                                                                                                      In my opinion thats freedom and thats why I choose Server 2008 R2
                                                                                                      together with Vipre Premium.
                                                                                                      :mrgreen:
                                                                                                      at last: Vipre is very inexpensive for lifetime, only pay ones!

• #49306

After month of editing msi files with orca, using application verifier to fake a wrong OS I finally get Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 working on my 2008 R2 System.

I found a useful tool here in the forum. It’s not legal but you only need to do it during the installation of KIS.

I used “Windows 7 Loader eXtreme edition v3” – changed the Server to the Ultimate MSDN – restart, installing KIS, change back to my original license, restart and now everything is working.

• #59117
                                                                                                      Anonymous

After month of editing msi files with orca, using application verifier to fake a wrong OS I finally get Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 working on my 2008 R2 System.

I found a useful tool here in the forum. It’s not legal but you only need to do it during the installation of KIS.

I used “Windows 7 Loader eXtreme edition v3” – changed the Server to the Ultimate MSDN – restart, installing KIS, change back to my original license, restart and now everything is working.

• #49307

Here is a mod so you can install KIS 2013 to server. Just run the setup file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?28wwancnh55z058

• #59118
                                                                                                        Anonymous

Here is a mod so you can install KIS 2013 to server. Just run the setup file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?28wwancnh55z058

• #49308

I’m aware of the age of this thread but seems like a lot of people are still asking the questions concerning how to get a particular antivirus to work with a certain OS. What I’ve found contradicts the matrix for these 2 OS’s:

Avira Antivirus Downloaded from CNET:
                                                                                                          http://download.cnet.com/Avira-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10322935.html
                                                                                                          CNET shows the version as v 14.0.7.342. When looking at the properties/details tab of Setup.exe after expanding the download file, it shows version v 14.0.7.310

Works with the following OS:

Windows 2008 R2
                                                                                                          Windows 2012 R2

when using the MS Verifier (x64) method and 7zip to expand the download file.

Hope this helps someone…

• #59119
                                                                                                          Anonymous

I’m aware of the age of this thread but seems like a lot of people are still asking the questions concerning how to get a particular antivirus to work with a certain OS. What I’ve found contradicts the matrix for these 2 OS’s:

Avira Antivirus Downloaded from CNET:
                                                                                                            http://download.cnet.com/Avira-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10322935.html
                                                                                                            CNET shows the version as v 14.0.7.342. When looking at the properties/details tab of Setup.exe after expanding the download file, it shows version v 14.0.7.310

Works with the following OS:

Windows 2008 R2
                                                                                                            Windows 2012 R2

when using the MS Verifier (x64) method and 7zip to expand the download file.

Hope this helps someone…

• #49309
                                                                                                            hackerman1
                                                                                                            Moderator

Hi !

Welcome to the forum.
                                                                                                              Thanks for the information, but it´s actually already wellknown that Avira works on WS….
                                                                                                              The trick with the “ProductOptions”-folder is all that´s needed.
                                                                                                              http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=965&p=4802#p4802

However, after having seen your post I looked at the list of security-software:
                                                                                                              “Avira AntiVir Personal Edition Cannot be installed on a Server OS”, see “Forum-topic”
                                                                                                              http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/security-software/

It seems that the information regarding Avira hasn´t been updated in a long time.
                                                                                                              Anyway, that was long before i became Admin here… 😉
                                                                                                              I´m adding updating that info to my todo-list.

Regarding the trick with the “ProductOptions”-folder, there is a safer way to do it,
                                                                                                              take a look at my post “How to install programs with “server-allergy”:
                                                                                                              viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2463

Read the section under A safer and easier way

• #59120
                                                                                                              Anonymous

Hi !

Welcome to the forum.
                                                                                                                Thanks for the information, but it´s actually already wellknown that Avira works on WS….
                                                                                                                The trick with the “ProductOptions”-folder is all that´s needed.
                                                                                                                http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=965&p=4802#p4802

However, after having seen your post I looked at the list of security-software:
                                                                                                                “Avira AntiVir Personal Edition Cannot be installed on a Server OS”, see “Forum-topic”
                                                                                                                http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/security-software/

It seems that the information regarding Avira hasn´t been updated in a long time.
                                                                                                                Anyway, that was long before i became Admin here… 😉
                                                                                                                I´m adding updating that info to my todo-list.

Regarding the trick with the “ProductOptions”-folder, there is a safer way to do it,
                                                                                                                take a look at my post “How to install programs with “server-allergy”:
                                                                                                                viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2463

Read the section under A safer and easier way

Viewing 161 reply threads
                                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.