Security Software

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • Author

Does anyone have a working list of known security software found to work with WS2012R2?

Already tested these so far on my own:

Not working:

Comodo Internet Security 2013 – Refuses to install on Server OS. Tried extraction installation to extract the cis_x64.msi installer, but still refused to install. Refuses to install also after attempting to use Application Verifier. No work around available at this time.

Microsoft Security Center Endpoint Protection 2012 SP1 – Refuses to install. Says it’s for the wrong version of Windows OS. No known workaround at this time. May require SCEP 2012 R2 when available upon RTM release.

Spybot Search and Destroy 2.1 – Can not be installed due to block by Program Compatibility Assistant. *Rename the installer to something else like “malware-killer.exe” and the program will install. Be forewarned that all the spybot*.exe and sbwelcome.exe programs are currently blocked by the Program Compatibility Assistant. You can rename them to get them working if needed. (Uncertain if you can create a symbolic link back to the original file to fix it.) Will require lift of block by Microsoft.

Works but complains of compatibility issues

Immunet 3.0 (ClamAV 0.98) – Installs and works, but complains of compatibility issues when initially launching the program. Can be safely ignored and warning disabled.

Works without problems

MalwareBytes Free and Pro

SUPER Anti-Spyware Free and Pro

If you find any security tools that work on Windows Server 2012 R2, please post them here. You will be acknowledged for the find also.

Anonymous

Kaspersy with mod probably will work, haven’t tried it yet.

Comodo IS installs in win 8.1, but yeah, refuses on server, and yes, it had compatibility issues as well.

Anonymous

Kaspersy with mod probably will work, haven’t tried it yet.

Comodo IS installs in win 8.1, but yeah, refuses on server, and yes, it had compatibility issues as well.

Anonymous

ESET Endpoint Security 5.0.2214.4 is working fine without any mods of course
            and Server 2012 (not R2 yet) is officially supported and compatible.

Eset Smart Security Beta 7.0.104.0 with mod is working fine (the only thing missing is Eset AntiTheft)
            Server 2012R2 is not officially supported or compatible,
            but I haven’t noticed incompatibilities or slowdowns, everything is working smoothly.

I’m guessing that Eset Smart Security 6.0.316.0 with the same mod will be working as well.

Anonymous

Emsisoft AntiMalware works, atleast on WS2012.
              I haven´t had time to install R2 yet, but there is no reason it should not work….;)

http://www.emsisoft.com

Anonymous

I know Symantec Endpoint 12.1.2 was working on WS2012 also, but I haven’t been able to acquire a copy to test it on R2 yet.

SUPERAntiSpyware also works on WS2012R2 also.

Going to try and get Security Center Endpoint Protection 2012 SP1 installed today and see if it will work.

BTW… we need confirmations on WS2012R2 not WS2012.

Anonymous

@reaperx7 wrote:

I know Symantec Endpoint 12.1.2 was working on WS2012 also, but I haven’t been able to acquire a copy to test it on R2 yet.

SUPERAntiSpyware also works on WS2012R2 also.

Going to try and get Security Center Endpoint Protection 2012 SP1 installed today and see if it will work.

BTW… we need confirmations on WS2012R2 not WS2012.

System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection working like a charm in 2012 R2

Anonymous

@maclancer wrote:

System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection working like a charm in 2012 R2

Works fine here too in 2012 R2:

[attachment=0:gwvu7nsu]Capture.PNG[/attachment:gwvu7nsu]

Anonymous

How did you guys get it installed? It outright refused to install for me.

Anonymous

@reaperx7 wrote:

How did you guys get it installed? It outright refused to install for me.

This probably isn’t gonna help much but I didn’t have to do anything out of the ordinary to get it to work. Just the usual click on SCEPInstall.exe and it worked.

Is there an error message in the event viewer after trying to install?

One other thing to try is to read the 2nd to last post by lotusisrael about windows update and some group policy settings. Might be worth a try.

http://www.win2012workstation.com/security-software/

Good luck 😉

Anonymous

Hi !

I posted some info about SCEP in another thread “Security-programs for W8”, more than a year ago, Posted: 08 May 2013 16:08

“Open the file with fx. 7-zip, and go to SMSSETUPCLIENT, then extract SCEPInstall.exe
                          SCEP: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/system-center/endpoint-protection-2012.aspx

“SCEP inside the iso-file is identical to the retail-version, i checked their SHA1-checksums with winhex, so if you have already downloaded the trial, you don´t need to download the retail-version.
                          that saves a lot of bandwith, time and maybe money…

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2110

viewtopic.php?p=9629#p9629

tip: do a search in the forum… 😉

Anonymous

It’s not technically Security Software, but still…
                            Microsoft Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit 4.0 is working just fine on Server 2012 R2
                            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2458544
                            http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39273

Anonymous

agnitum outpost 8 doesnt work with latest ws2012 r2 (en_windows_server_2012_r2_vl_x64_dvd_2979250)
                              sad really sad 🙁
                              any solutions?

Anonymous

I have no idea.
                                Since Outpost failed to block “properly” i have not used it, except for the test.

I´m running WS2008-R2 and since Comodo has no official support for WS2008-R2 i´m using Windows Firewall,
                                and Comodo´s Defence+ (HIPS), with Comodo´s firewall turned off, together with Emsisoft AntiMalware (EAM).

Comodo has been #1 for a long time.
                                And it´s FREE…
                                So why not use it ?
                                Note: Comodo v5 has 2% better results than v6 (and a better GUI).

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge-64/results.php

But even if you are using another firewall, you can add Comodo´s Defence+ (HIPS), just turn off Comodo´s firewall.

Anonymous

How to install Comodo Internet Security in Windows Server 2012 R2 x64:

-Download last version from Comodo.
                                  -Download and install Orca MSI editor:
                                  http://www.technipages.com/download-orca-msi-editor.html
                                  -Extract cmdinstall.exe with 7Zip.
                                  -Locate cis_setup_x64.msi in …cis/download/installs/xml_binaries.
                                  -Open it with Orca.
                                  -Edit/Find “Server OS” (or go LaunchCondition).
                                  -Select and drop 3 Rows which conditions begin with “Installed…”.
                                  -Save and execute the modified cis.

Anonymous

@AiKhenAthon wrote:

How to install Comodo Internet Security in Windows Server 2012 R2 x64:

Who asked about how to install Comodo ???

Read the first post in the thread !
                                    The question was: “Does anyone have a working list of known security software found to work with WS2012R2?”

Also, why do you copy “my” instructions for installing Comodo, and make it look like it´s written by you !?

Fx. instructions for Comodo v6.3 can be found here: “How to install Comodo Firewall

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2551

Anonymous

Well, Comodo Internet Security Premium as a knowing security software is working in WS2012R2.
                                      Only you have to mod the installer. So i am answering the thread question.

Sorry I had not read your post before, it was posted just yesterday in a different thread
                                      and is about only the firewall, so i didn’t copy it.

I just was following this thread waiting for someone to find a solution, and searching about how to cheat the detection of the OS I found about Orca, so… I only try to help…

Anonymous

Orca since I found this has been extremely useful. I have yet to try it out on other packages but this may be a virtual Philosopher’s Stone for Windows Server users to have found. Many thanks.

I’ll test installing some other failed apps as well to see how it goes, but this is a promising find.

Anonymous

Bitdefender free works. You need to have a Bitdefender account and sign in in the antivirus app, and it will work pretty well.

Anonymous

Zone Alarm free firewall works fine. The current version is 13, and all is well.

Anonymous

Thought I would share my success after Installing Avast! 9 (2014) on my Server 2012 R2 Data Center. This sort of pi**ed me off that it wouldn’t work when I know there is probably no technical reason for it not working.

It’s a great program that should remain free! – Free to install on your machine regardless of the operating system.

Download the latest copy of Avast 2014. Install on Windows 8.1 machine.

(On Windows 8.1 Machine)
                                              Copy contents from C:Program FilesAVAST SoftwareAvast*

Save Registry at HKLMSoftwareWow6432NodeAVAST Software to Avast.reg

(On Server 2012 Machine)
                                              Paste contents to C:Program FilesAvast SoftwareAvast*
                                              Merge Avast.reg into Local Registry.

Navigate to C:Program FilesAvast SoftwareAvastSetup
                                              Create Shortcut to instup.exe
                                              Target: “C:Program FilesAVAST SoftwareAvastSetupinstup.exe” /control_panel /instop:uninstall
                                              Start in: “C:Program FilesAVAST SoftwareAvast”
                                              Run the Shortcut
                                              Optional Download VPsupd.exe and update local definitions.
                                              Click Repair from the list, Select Continue.
                                              Setup will repair local installation and Install AVAST.
                                              Open Avast. > Settings > Update > Program > Settings > Configure “Ask when an update is available” or set Manual. (De-select auto-update program)

Winning. 😎

Anonymous

Hi Rovan !

Welcome to the forum.
                                                Thanks for posting the information.
                                                But, please do not use “dirty” words.
                                                I cleaned up your post a little bit, at the end of the first line…. 😉
                                                And please also post in the right subforum, you posted in an old thread in the WS2008-forum,
                                                but since you post about Avast on WS2012-R2, I moved your post to the WS2012-R2 forum.

Anonymous

Sorry mate ^^. will be more mindful in future. Great site btw. Cheers

Anonymous

2012r2
                                                    Symantec Endpoint Protection
                                                    Works flawlessly.
                                                    In my opinion the only option for 2012

I would love vipre on the 2012r2.
                                                    does anybody know.

They have vipre buisness that supports server 2012. But you need to buy 5 licences. amazingly cheap for 5 keys though.

Anonymous

Hi, i’m playing around with Server 2012R2 in a virtual machine.

Thanks so far for the wonderful tutorial, so far everything works as described.

Now I want to Install Eset smart Security 9 but it refuses to install. Reason: This product is not for Server Systems. See attached Screenshot (in german).

I tried several hacks with orca but without success.

Has anybody an idea? maybe how to fake System Version so that the installer thinks it is on a Windows client?

thx!

Anonymous

The best AntiVirus/Malware scanner I’ve found is a combo of Microsoft System Center Endpoint (Forefront) combined with MalwareBytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, or SpyBot S&D.

It’s the only combination I’ve found that is free and OOTB Server friendly any more.

Anonymous

Does this no longer work with Avira Free 2016? Each time I install it prompts me for a serial.

Extract installer. Add setup.exe to Microsoft Application Verifier. Uncheck all tests except HighVersionLie. In HighVersionLie properties, set product type to 1. Then run setup.exe.

I don’t check the box marked “hex”, correct? Anyone using Avira?

Anonymous

@GoatM@N wrote:

Does this no longer work with Avira Free 2016? Each time I install it prompts me for a serial.

If you take really good look at that window you will see that Avira is installing the SERVER-version.
                                                            Which is not free…

Previously Avira used to show an errormessage saying something like:
                                                            “Avira free antivirus cannot be installed on a server O/S”.

The AppVerifier-trick doesn´t help anymore, Avira still detects a server-O/S…. 😉

Anonymous

@hackerman1 wrote:

@GoatM@N wrote:

If you take really good look at that window you will see that Avira is installing the SERVER-version.
                                                              Which is not free…

Previously Avira used to show an errormessage saying something like:
                                                              “Avira free antivirus cannot be installed on a server O/S”.

The AppVerifier-trick doesn´t help anymore, Avira still detects a server-O/S…. 😉

Ahhhh. Thanks for confirming.

So Avira is out for our purposes (as a free option?). They don’t offer the older 2014 installation package (unless someone has it handy and could PM it or make it available). I wonder if installing that would work, and still be able to use the current updates…

Anonymous

You are welcome.

I also tried the Productoptions-folder trick, together with AppVerifier.
                                                                But no luck.
                                                                An older version should work, but you have to remember that newer versions are better…. 😉

If you want to try some other FREE program you can try Forticlient,
                                                                which also has performed well in the latest tests of antimalware-programs.

Forticlient

I don´t know if it´s possible to install it, but you can try….

Anonymous

I decided to take a look at Forticlient.
                                                                  It installs without complaining about server-O/S.

But, you can´t enable realtime antivirus-protection, without a Fortigate hardware firewall !?

“Free” endpoint protection…
                                                                  This means that Forticlient is useless as a “free” antimalware-program !

See the text below from the online ducumentation, i highlighted the last line:

“Enable or disable antivirus
                                                                  To enable real-time protection:

On the AntiVirus tab, select the settings icon next to Realtime Protection Disabled. The real-time protection settings page will open.
                                                                  Select Scan files as they are downloaded or copied to my system.
                                                                  Select OK.

If you have another antivirus program installed on your system, FortiClient will show a warning that your system may lock up due to conflicts between different antivirus products.
                                                                  To disable real-time protection:

On the AntiVirus tab, select the settings icon next to Realtime Protection Enable. The real-time protection settings page will open.
                                                                  Deselect Scan files as they are downloaded or copied to my system.
                                                                  Select OK.

When FortiClient is registered to FortiGate for endpoint control, antivirus is enabled and disabled in the FortiClient Profile.

Anonymous

@reaperx7 wrote:

The best AntiVirus/Malware scanner I’ve found is a combo of Microsoft System Center Endpoint (Forefront) combined with MalwareBytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, or SpyBot S&D.

It’s the only combination I’ve found that is free and OOTB Server friendly any more.

I’m only seeing an evaluation for 180 days. What am I missing?…

Anonymous

@GoatM@N wrote:

Read my post on page 2: viewtopic.php?p=11536#p11536

Download, and Extract SCEP.
                                                                      There is no time limit on SCEP….
                                                                      At least not when i used it….

Where have you read about 180 days ?
                                                                      They do not mention it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/system-center/endpoint-protection-2012.aspx

180 is for System Center 2012….

Anonymous

I must be really dense. I downloaded it, unzipped scepinstall.exe and when I run it this is what I get:

@hackerman1 wrote:

@GoatM@N wrote:

Read my post on page 2: viewtopic.php?p=11536#p11536

Download, and Extract SCEP.
                                                                        There is no time limit on SCEP….
                                                                        At least not when i used it….

Where have you read about 180 days ?
                                                                        They do not mention it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/system-center/endpoint-protection-2012.aspx

180 is for System Center 2012….

Anonymous

Sorry, but i´m confused now.
                                                                          Are you saying that you have followed the instructions from my post, downloaded SCEM and extracted SCEP, and you can´t install it ?

Which O/S are you using ?
                                                                          Please post the URL to the file that you downloaded.

• #60948
                                                                          Anonymous

Are you saying that you have followed the instructions from my post, downloaded SCEM and extracted SCEP, and you can´t install it ?

Did you download this ?
                                                                            “System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and Endpoint Protection SP2
                                                                            Evaluations | 180 days

Yes, it says 180 days.
                                                                            But, there are (or at least were no) time-limit in SCEP.
                                                                            There was no “countdown” or other information saying anything about a time-limit.

I´m downloading now, i´m going to extract SCEP and check how it works.
                                                                            Note however that i´m using WS2008-R2.

• #60949
                                                                            Anonymous

SCEP installed.
                                                                              No problems, no time-limit mentioned.

• #60950
                                                                              Anonymous

You can also use Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).
                                                                                It installs and runs without any complaints on WS2008-R2, so it should work also on WS2012-R2.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

• #60951
                                                                                Anonymous

Frankly I’m quite confused by that download page. This is the file I grabbed:

File: SC2012_SP2_Configmgr_SCEP.exe
                                                                                  CRC-32: e128897b
                                                                                  MD4: ab6c883531baf12e59daacc11e4b252d
                                                                                  MD5: ed8a4ab6e334dae362e390c80ee2efa4
                                                                                  SHA-1: d5f852ef5ff8a1eb37bfca5a7ba543b82f730302

I extracted and ran this:

File: scepinstall.exe
                                                                                  CRC-32: c87b3234
                                                                                  MD4: 18a1e7aba88b2a8db58b328f430333aa
                                                                                  MD5: 1428bce126e6b929ee44a3443b3533ae
                                                                                  SHA-1: 593e72db0efbad65956d07c479d6aa6ea2d9e031

I’m running 2012R2. Perhaps that’s the difference? Or did I grab the wrong file to begin with? Was I to grab SP1? Was I to grab “current branch”? Thanks for continuing to help. Eager to give this a try…

@hackerman1 wrote:

Did you download this ?
                                                                                  “System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and Endpoint Protection SP2
                                                                                  Evaluations | 180 days

Yes, it says 180 days.
                                                                                  But, there are (or at least were no) time-limit in SCEP.
                                                                                  There was no “countdown” or other information saying anything about a time-limit.

I´m downloading now, i´m going to extract SCEP and check how it works.
                                                                                  Note however that i´m using WS2008-R2.

• #60952
                                                                                  Anonymous

Yes, i also downloaded SC2012_SP2_Configmgr_SCEP.exe
                                                                                    And your SHA-1 checksum for SCEP is the same as mine.

Have you tried MSE ?

• #60953
                                                                                    Anonymous

So i tracked down the 2014 avira installer, and the trick still works. it forces you to update to 2016, and in the process it complains that your license is no longer valid.

Still seems to scan, and be enabled for real-time protection. Will report back if anything changes.

• #60954
                                                                                      Anonymous

Thank you for the information.
                                                                                        I was actually thinking about doing just that, install an older version of Avira and check what happens.

If Avira says that everything is OK, that realtime-protection is active, then it should be working properly.
                                                                                        But it´s easy to confirm, try the “EICAR-test”…

• #60955
                                                                                        Anonymous

Avira did not trigger for the double-zipped test file, but jumped into action when it was unzipped.

Note from Administrator: I removed the quote.

• #60956
                                                                                          Anonymous

That is normal for some antimalware-programs (depending on the settings),
                                                                                            they don´t react until an archive is expanded (“unzipped”).

Please do not quote the whole previous post when replying, we can all read that post..
                                                                                            And i already know what i posted…

Viewing 43 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.