Question to many Server OS users.

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Question to many Server OS users.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Has anyone who has experience using both Server class operating systems and Client operating systems noticed that Server operating systems tend to be much more system efficient with resources and also have better management of system utilities, system resources, and user profiles?

I have noticed it mostly on a laptop I installed a copy of Server 2008 R2 onto successfully which only has 2GB of memory and by a comparison to Windows 7, work more efficiently now than it ever has.

When you use windows system resource manager it’s all the more better! I have an article here on the boards I wrote detailing it. Find it and be amazed! I can control my browser bloat with it and never have to worry about page file bloat again! This is one of the many reasons I stick with server OSes. You can manage resources much better and be able to have more fine control over everything.

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_System_Resource_Manager

My article: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=977

I also find that most applications people complain about that crash tons in windows vista or 7 that work much better on s2008. Like the game borderlands for example, it has not crashed once on me and I am at my third playthrough! Other people who have mixes betwen windows xp,vista and 7 are reporting so many crashes with the game!

I also notice PSCS4 works a little better then it did on vista and xp.

I think it might have something to do with the extremely unstable AudioVideo stack in consumer versions of windows that wreaks havoc with everything. It even causes most games to crash alot. I also notice that other people have way higher disk I/O reads in vista/7 then server 2008 R1/R2. My P/F delta was averaging 30,000 or more on xp and vista’s was about 25,000 and mine on s2008R1 is everaging under 8,000 when I am doing alot of multitasking and gaming. Server OSes are also built more stable becuase they need more reliable OSes for servers. Consumers can deal with more downtime, businesses can’t. they loose money if they do!

Also Graphics/Sound card drivers work alot better as well. To most people my nvidia 186.86 driver is alot more stable then people who have vista who get BSODs and game crashes and the driver resetting. same with the Creative drivers! To those who could not get them working and had to use the Daniel K driver I am running the official driver and it works smooth!

Anonymous

When you use windows system resource manager it’s all the more better! I have an article here on the boards I wrote detailing it. Find it and be amazed! I can control my browser bloat with it and never have to worry about page file bloat again! This is one of the many reasons I stick with server OSes. You can manage resources much better and be able to have more fine control over everything.

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_System_Resource_Manager

My article: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=977

I also find that most applications people complain about that crash tons in windows vista or 7 that work much better on s2008. Like the game borderlands for example, it has not crashed once on me and I am at my third playthrough! Other people who have mixes betwen windows xp,vista and 7 are reporting so many crashes with the game!

I also notice PSCS4 works a little better then it did on vista and xp.

I think it might have something to do with the extremely unstable AudioVideo stack in consumer versions of windows that wreaks havoc with everything. It even causes most games to crash alot. I also notice that other people have way higher disk I/O reads in vista/7 then server 2008 R1/R2. My P/F delta was averaging 30,000 or more on xp and vista’s was about 25,000 and mine on s2008R1 is everaging under 8,000 when I am doing alot of multitasking and gaming. Server OSes are also built more stable becuase they need more reliable OSes for servers. Consumers can deal with more downtime, businesses can’t. they loose money if they do!

Also Graphics/Sound card drivers work alot better as well. To most people my nvidia 186.86 driver is alot more stable then people who have vista who get BSODs and game crashes and the driver resetting. same with the Creative drivers! To those who could not get them working and had to use the Daniel K driver I am running the official driver and it works smooth!

@James97 wrote:

Has anyone who has experience using both Server class operating systems and Client operating systems noticed that Server operating systems tend to be much more system efficient with resources and also have better management of system utilities, system resources, and user profiles?

I have noticed it mostly on a laptop I installed a copy of Server 2008 R2 onto successfully which only has 2GB of memory and by a comparison to Windows 7, work more efficiently now than it ever has.

This is largely due to a difference in the default configuration, and not because of one being more efficient or optimized than the other.

7, being a consumer operating system, tends to take more liberties with resources by default. Which for the most part, is fine. This means there are a lot more services enabled and running, quite a bit of extra functionality, and alltogether more “stuff”.

R2 is quite the oppisite. Being a server OS, it is rarely meant to actually be used as a workstation, and indeed, as little should be running as possible to get the most out of the applications the server will be running.

When both systems are set up in the same configuration, there is little tangible difference. Indeed, there is not much of a technical basis for there being a difference, as 7 and R2 both use the same kerel. This was not the case previously, with win2k3 and R1 both using newer kernels than the consumer predecessor.

Also, don’t be fooled with thinking 7 is bloated or hogging memmory. The way Windows works, it “uses” memory, so that it can assign it to programs as needed. This is expected behavior, and results in an efficient system. Indeed, Superfetch was a refinement and extension of this basic functionality.

The server OS’s do have better functionality for managing profiles and such, but that is expected, if , as is typically the case, you may have thousands of user accounts. For managing your own few user accounts on a local machine, you will find the highest version of 7/vista etc to be equivilant, as it will have access to edit policies.

As for managing resources…there is not so much of a difference in functionality built in, and you can download addonn tools for both operating systems.

A server os is not instantly more efficient and faster, it simply has a different focus and method of doing things, that may or may not suit your needs better than a standard consumer os.

RemixedCat,

Game crashes have absolutely nothing to do with running a server os over 7 or vista, but with your graphics drivers. Likewise, applications and driver stability is not improved by running a server os.

Anonymous

@James97 wrote:

This is largely due to a difference in the default configuration, and not because of one being more efficient or optimized than the other.

7, being a consumer operating system, tends to take more liberties with resources by default. Which for the most part, is fine. This means there are a lot more services enabled and running, quite a bit of extra functionality, and alltogether more “stuff”.

R2 is quite the oppisite. Being a server OS, it is rarely meant to actually be used as a workstation, and indeed, as little should be running as possible to get the most out of the applications the server will be running.

When both systems are set up in the same configuration, there is little tangible difference. Indeed, there is not much of a technical basis for there being a difference, as 7 and R2 both use the same kerel. This was not the case previously, with win2k3 and R1 both using newer kernels than the consumer predecessor.

Also, don’t be fooled with thinking 7 is bloated or hogging memmory. The way Windows works, it “uses” memory, so that it can assign it to programs as needed. This is expected behavior, and results in an efficient system. Indeed, Superfetch was a refinement and extension of this basic functionality.

The server OS’s do have better functionality for managing profiles and such, but that is expected, if , as is typically the case, you may have thousands of user accounts. For managing your own few user accounts on a local machine, you will find the highest version of 7/vista etc to be equivilant, as it will have access to edit policies.

As for managing resources…there is not so much of a difference in functionality built in, and you can download addonn tools for both operating systems.

A server os is not instantly more efficient and faster, it simply has a different focus and method of doing things, that may or may not suit your needs better than a standard consumer os.

RemixedCat,

Game crashes have absolutely nothing to do with running a server os over 7 or vista, but with your graphics drivers. Likewise, applications and driver stability is not improved by running a server os.

Viewing 4 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.