Personalization control panel not loading

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Hardware Compatibility Personalization control panel not loading

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

You can try restoring to its original state. I have grabbed the required files from an R2 installation and collaborated everything into a user-friendly batch file for you to restore the settings back to original state.

Before you begin please make sure you have satisfied everything below:

1. Make sure you run the batch file under an Administrator account.
      2. Make sure the system locale on your system is correct. The batch file is set to fix systems which use the United States – English keyboard system. If you use a United Kingdom layout for example then the batch file WILL NOT WORK.

To find your system locale code, open up command prompt and type in systeminfo then scroll down and look for “System Locale” your code should be listed in xx-YY format.

First…

Download the attached uxthemerestore.zip below and extract the contents to a sub folder. This will allow you to edit the install.bat file.

Next…

(Make sure you open it with Notepad)

1. Right click on install.bat and choose Edit…
      2. Navigate to Edit > Replace…

Find what: en-us
      Replace with: “TYPE IN YOUR SYSTEM LOCALE”

For example if you locale is en-gb

Find what: en-us
      Replace with: en-gb

3. Click on Replace All

4. Save the install.bat file.

Then right-click on Install.bat and run as administrator.

Restart your computer to see if you can access personalization.

The restore utility/batch file is attached below.

Hi,

I forgot to mention that I am running a 64 bit os. I can rename system32 to syswow64 in the batch file but I assume that the files are for 32 bit only?

Do you have 64 bit versions?

Thanks,
      Dave

@sparkplug wrote:

Hi,

I forgot to mention that I am running a 64 bit os. I can rename system32 to syswow64 in the batch file but I assume that the files are for 32 bit only?

Do you have 64 bit versions?

Thanks,
      Dave

Yes I did include it. I’m completely sorry. I uploaded the incomplete version. I was in the middle of doing it when i left for Thanksgiving dinner and forgot I didn’t overwrite the original and instead did a File > “Save as” which created a new file. I gave you the incomplete version by mistake. My bad please forgive me. Have mercy. 😛

The COMPLETE version is attached in the original post above.

Just go back and replace all the “EN-US” system locale with yours (if needed) in the new install.bat file. Run it you should be good to go.

Hi There,

I have been going through the forum and I have run into the same issue, unfortunatley the batch file did not resolve the issue after the reboot, do you have any suggestions please?

I have a problem similar to this old post http://www.win2008workstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1169&hilit=personalization.

The personalization control panel will not load and allow me to change the theme or background. See attached screenshot.

I also ran the workstation convertor tool as in the post although I’m quite sure I installed the display drivers (ATI Radeon X1300) first. I tried a few things in my attempt to get this to work such like stopping themes service, uninstalling then reinstalling the desktop experience, restarting themes service and reinstalling the display drivers, before giving up and getting on with my work in grey.

This was a couple of grey weeks ago. I’ve have now installed all my programs and don’t really want to reinstall Windows from scratch.

Does anyone have another solution?

Thanks,
      Dave

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.