Performance Issue after Hyper-V RC1 update

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Miscellaneous Performance Issue after Hyper-V RC1 update

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,

After appying the RC1 update I have has a major decrease in performance.

Apps that I notice are most games, WMP (playing any media, is really jerky), load times on apps.
      Also the startup time on the machine is alot slower as well.

I did a full reinstall and then tested. Everything was fine.
      Apply the RC1 update and performance turned to Shet.

Now this maybe becuase of the P35 intel driver, but I only started getting these issues after apply the Hyper-V RC1 update.

Anyone else notice this ??

Cheers
      Wally

Arris

Hey Wallynut,

I also installed the RC1 update almost directly after I installed Hyper-V so I haven’t noticed anything, however I sometimes have the stuttering music you describe, but I don’t know if that’s because of Hyper-V.

Another thing that still doesn’t work well is Internet Connection Sharing in combination with a Virtual Network in Hyper-V that is connected to a Physical Network Card. In my case my Windows Server 2008 pc is the gateway for serveral computers in my home network. Directly after I connect a Virtual Network to a Physical Network Card, the traffic to my other computers stops. If you take a look at the client pc’s network status they only send packets, but don’t receive anything back from my Server 2008 pc. 🙁

Hope they ‘ll fix it in the final release! 🙂

I get the music stutter whenever my system goes into “secure mode” but I’ve disabled everything that puts it there now except for when I press ctrl-alt-del.

I’m using Hyper-V with an XP VM and a Vista VM and it seems to be working fine. I got my system upgraded from 2 GB to 4 GB and that helped a lot (I can assign 1 GB to each of my VMs). For some reason, the Vista VM seems to work faster than the XP though. The only networking issue I have had was that I didn’t realize I had to go in and “add hardware” to tell the VMs that they have a NIC.

Also make sure you install the Integration Services in each of your VMs. It really adds a lot (I was especially annoyed at having to push ctrl-alt-left to get out of the VM window, so I was quite happy to find that I no longer need to).

Now playing: OMD – Walking On Air
        via FoxyTunes

Arris

I did the same you did: bought 2GB ram so I now have 4GB. You are right about the Integration Services: they make it a lot better to work with the Virtual Machine. I hope they will have Integration Services for Windows Vista x64 soon too, because without you don’t have a Network Interface! For now I use the virtual (1.44MB) floppy to bring files from Vista x64 to Vista x86 and then copy them via the virtual network to a shared folder at my non-virtual computer… 😕

When can we expect the final version of Hyper-V to be released? 🙂

After installing Hyper-v the system become very slow on opening every application, windows media player sound bad.. and the games doesn’t go good, i need to lower the resolution to avoid image freeze.

The problem appear also if there are no VM running, with beta,rc0 and rc1.

Aero become slow. ALT+TAB between windowed application and full-screen application (games) takes about 4 seconds; normally it is very fast ( < 0,1 seconds i think it can't be calculated :D ) Disabling aero helps a bit the overall performance. Deinstalling the hyper-v solves the problem. Any ideas? C2DUO 2,4GHZ
          4GB RAM
          250gb 7200rpm
          nvidia 8600 256mb

Well after reinstalling a couple of times to prove that the slow down occured after a microsoft update I have found that intel has released Server 2008 drivers for my P35 chipset.

Installed these new drivers and performance back to normal. yippee

Does this update affect the system even if im not using hyper-v? I just installed all of the available updates, but i cant really notice any difference.I just completed the CSS stress test and there was small performance loss, but i suspect thats because im installing server 2008 on virtual pc 2007 at the same time..
          Btw my mobo uses P35 chipset too, but the latest drivers are from 2007.

I’ve also got a P35 chipset motherboard but can’t find the Server 2008 driver you mentioned.

Can you please provide a link to this driver or the exact name of the installation package?

Thanks!

Viewing 7 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.