› Forums › Operating Systems › Windows Server 2008 › Miscellaneous › PCMark Vantage and Server 2008
- This topic has 17 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years, 2 months ago by tacoturtle.
- 5th June 2008 at 07:16 #43146
My current goal is to try and figure out how to get PCMark Vantage (http://www.futuremark.com/products/pcmarkvantage/) to run in Server 2008 (64 bit). Both PCMark Vantage and 3DMark Vantage “require” Vista but 3DMark Vantage will run in Server 2008 (64 bit). Thus, I figure why shouldn’t PCMark Vantage also run. 😛
PCMark Vantage (both 32 and 64 bit) will load just fine but it will disable the benchmark option because it doesn’t detect Vista. I’m guessing this can be overcome by tweaking one or all of the ProductOptions, Control and CurrentVersion registry keys.
If anyone beats me to a fix or already has one please feel free to share it!
- 16th June 2008 at 15:26 #46443
This question is of great interest to me. Is there anyone who has a work round or a solution as yet?
Would this link be of any use in making changes to the actual application ?
- 16th June 2008 at 18:20 #46442
- 17th June 2008 at 06:28 #46444
- 17th June 2008 at 11:42 #46445
You said that 3d mark require vista and will run only on x64, but i use x86.
- 20th June 2008 at 02:52 #46446
- 22nd June 2008 at 07:16 #46447
Getting back to my reply 😀 to the original post. Has there been any progress forward here? If not then it looks like a trimmed down Vista is going to have to do.
- 22nd June 2008 at 16:14 #46448
Well personally i dont care for pc mark because this test is not used very often, but i looked into registry and stuff and it looks like the program uses ver.dll to get the information.I have some ideas on how to cheat the file to think you have vista and i will get back when i have more information on this.
Btw trimmed down vista still has 30% slower memory management so thats not the way to go 🙂
- 22nd June 2008 at 21:38 #46449ArrisModerator
OK, here is how to get PCMark Vantage v22.214.171.124 working.
1. Download PCMark_Vantage_v100_nov07_vista_installer.exe from http://www.futuremark.com/download/pcmarkvantage/
2. To get the 32bit version working in Windows Server 2008, open C:Program Files (x86)FuturemarkPCMark VantagebinPCMark.exe with a Hex Editor like Hex Workshop, and in the menu Edit click Replace.
3. Click Replace when a occurence is found, and Save the file afterwards.
4. Run the application and do your benchmarks!
I haven’t looked at the x64 edition yet, but tell me if you need it and I’ll take a look at it. :geek:
- 23rd June 2008 at 04:25 #46450
Ok i made a patch for server 2008 – just open the file and click the patch button – it will automatically patch PCMark.exe
I haven’t tested it with x64 so test on own risk (make backup of PCMark.exe before patching).
- 23rd June 2008 at 06:54 #46451ArrisModerator
Nice looking patcher! 😉 The problem I have in 2008 Server x64 is that it says System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path ‘C:Program Files (x86)FuturemarkPCMark VantagebinPCMark.exe’ is denied.. I am running the patch as Administrator; I tried to move patch & executable to an other location/harddisk and started the patch from a cmd.exe window, but in all cases still the same error… 😕
Any idea what this could be?
- 23rd June 2008 at 19:34 #46452
The problem was caused by the file attributes – the file is read-only by default, but i haven’t noticed that at first.
The issue is now fixed – the patch automatically removes the read-only attribute. You can redownload the file or you can manually remove the read-only flag in the file properties and use the old one 🙂
- 23rd June 2008 at 20:46 #46453
so vantage score is better in server :)?
- 23rd June 2008 at 20:51 #46454
Probably thats the reason why futuremark made the test not to run on server 😛
- 24th June 2008 at 19:47 #46455
Thank you sawo for the patch. May I share it with my team mates?
- 24th June 2008 at 20:54 #46456
Ofcourse, you can share it as much as you want 🙂
- 16th December 2008 at 14:51 #46457
- 23rd March 2009 at 20:08 #46458
I got it running under win 2008 server x64 but I dont get all the options/tests. Any ideas on how to get all the options/tests to work?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.