PCMark Vantage and Server 2008

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Miscellaneous PCMark Vantage and Server 2008

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

My current goal is to try and figure out how to get PCMark Vantage (http://www.futuremark.com/products/pcmarkvantage/) to run in Server 2008 (64 bit). Both PCMark Vantage and 3DMark Vantage “require” Vista but 3DMark Vantage will run in Server 2008 (64 bit). Thus, I figure why shouldn’t PCMark Vantage also run. 😛

PCMark Vantage (both 32 and 64 bit) will load just fine but it will disable the benchmark option because it doesn’t detect Vista. I’m guessing this can be overcome by tweaking one or all of the ProductOptions, Control and CurrentVersion registry keys.

If anyone beats me to a fix or already has one please feel free to share it! :mrgreen:

Thanks.

This question is of great interest to me. Is there anyone who has a work round or a solution as yet?

Would this link be of any use in making changes to the actual application ?

http://knowledge.macrovision.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q107066&sliceId=

Thats strange.
      I downloaded 3d mark vantage few days ago and i ran the benchmarks without any problem at all!
      I was able to change options, resolutions, compare my scores online etc.

@sawo wrote:

Thats strange.
      I downloaded 3d mark vantage few days ago and i ran the benchmarks without any problem at all!
      I was able to change options, resolutions, compare my scores online etc.

PCMark not 3DMark. 😉 3DMark runs fine for the most part.

You said that 3d mark require vista and will run only on x64, but i use x86.

@sawo wrote:

You said that 3d mark require vista and will run only on x64, but i use x86.

I said both require Vista. I did not say they will run only on x64, just that I run x64.

Getting back to my reply 😀 to the original post. Has there been any progress forward here? If not then it looks like a trimmed down Vista is going to have to do.

Well personally i dont care for pc mark because this test is not used very often, but i looked into registry and stuff and it looks like the program uses ver.dll to get the information.I have some ideas on how to cheat the file to think you have vista and i will get back when i have more information on this.
      Btw trimmed down vista still has 30% slower memory management so thats not the way to go 🙂

Arris

OK, here is how to get PCMark Vantage v1.0.0.0 working.

1. Download PCMark_Vantage_v100_nov07_vista_installer.exe from http://www.futuremark.com/download/pcmarkvantage/

2. To get the 32bit version working in Windows Server 2008, open C:Program Files (x86)FuturemarkPCMark VantagebinPCMark.exe with a Hex Editor like Hex Workshop, and in the menu Edit click Replace.
        Find:

752F8B96D4

Replace with:

E92C000000

3. Click Replace when a occurence is found, and Save the file afterwards.
        4. Run the application and do your benchmarks!

I haven’t looked at the x64 edition yet, but tell me if you need it and I’ll take a look at it. :geek:

Ok i made a patch for server 2008 – just open the file and click the patch button – it will automatically patch PCMark.exe
        I haven’t tested it with x64 so test on own risk (make backup of PCMark.exe before patching).

Arris

Nice looking patcher! 😉 The problem I have in 2008 Server x64 is that it says System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path ‘C:Program Files (x86)FuturemarkPCMark VantagebinPCMark.exe’ is denied.. I am running the patch as Administrator; I tried to move patch & executable to an other location/harddisk and started the patch from a cmd.exe window, but in all cases still the same error… 😕

Any idea what this could be?

The problem was caused by the file attributes – the file is read-only by default, but i haven’t noticed that at first.
          The issue is now fixed – the patch automatically removes the read-only attribute. You can redownload the file or you can manually remove the read-only flag in the file properties and use the old one 🙂

so vantage score is better in server :)?

Probably thats the reason why futuremark made the test not to run on server 😛

Thank you sawo for the patch. May I share it with my team mates?

Ofcourse, you can share it as much as you want 🙂

Due to request, version 1.1 is released – now with 64bit support!
          Grab it from Here !

I got it running under win 2008 server x64 but I dont get all the options/tests. Any ideas on how to get all the options/tests to work?
          Thanks,
          taco

Viewing 17 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.