OpenGL usage screws up DirectX

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Hardware Compatibility (New) OpenGL usage screws up DirectX

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I’m having an odd problem with Server2008x64.

When ever I run a program that uses OpenGL [OGLBench, Second Life, Picasa tested so far], the DirectX subsystem seems to get completely screwed up.

The OpenGL programs show no errors and seem to run fine, but immediately after starting them DirectX shows problems:

Aero becomes unusably glitchy.
      Graphics and sound of DX games becomes glitchy [Counterstrike source tested so far].
      Video playback in WMP becomes choppy. Audio tracks of some video files become choppy.
      Audio/music files in WMP were unaffected, but visualizations of the music become very choppy.

The only way to fix the problem is to reboot the system.

I have an nVidia 6800 with the latest Vista 64 drivers installed from nVidia’s web site. There were no Server2008 drivers.

I also have the latest chipset drivers for my mobo [Asus Rampage Formula]

dxdiag shows no errors.

Does any body have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks.

OK. It seems that this actually might have much less to do with OpenGL than I thought. In an attempt to track down which programs were causing the issue, I removed the open gl dlls hoping to see which programs would no longer start. However, it seems that the issue is still happening. It seems that any large program [even one that has nothing to do with graphics like Moz Thunderbird] cause the problem too.

Now I am at a complete loss as to what might be causing this.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.