Ok… now what did it do…

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Ok… now what did it do…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I seem to have managed to block all ports…

my web, and uTorrent still work and local remote desktop works, but whenever i try to remote desktop in, no dice! did a port scan, again no dice… all ports arent responding…

Now I turned firewall off, DMZ’d my system, and yet still, blocked… im really thrown here… internet access still, uTorrent still, local remote desktop, but outside access is completely cut off./?!! (whats REALLY weird is that I checked the uTorrent port, and it fails an outside port check, but the internal checker seems to say its working just fine -and its actively moving data)

(i tried to bring up my TS3 server is how I discovered this, that and this weekend I was out at the lake and tried to remote desktop home and couldnt)

If you have multiple hosts connecting to your router in your home, let them know before you try this.

Unplug your router and firewall and plug directly into the modem ONLY. This will effectively bypass any configuring issues with your firewall/NAT/proxy server or whatever you may have. See if any ports are open. If all ports remain blocked then the problem is not on your end but rather with your ISP. You need to contact your ISP and complain.

If you see any available ports open then we can deduce its an internal network connectivity issue. Hopefully your router/firewall just lost its place and all you need to do is unplug the router for 10 minutes so it can refresh settings. Also restart your computer so your firewall/router can refresh you as a host as well.

If you haven’t made any configuration changes in the past and you were able to remote desktop home from an external IP before I don’t think it should be any simpler than this.

@halladayrules wrote:

If you have multiple hosts connecting to your router in your home, let them know before you try this.

Unplug your router and firewall and plug directly into the modem ONLY. This will effectively bypass any configuring issues with your firewall/NAT/proxy server or whatever you may have. See if any ports are open. If all ports remain blocked then the problem is not on your end but rather with your ISP. You need to contact your ISP and complain.

If you see any available ports open then we can deduce its an internal network connectivity issue. Hopefully your router/firewall just lost its place and all you need to do is unplug the router for 10 minutes so it can refresh settings. Also restart your computer so your firewall/router can refresh you as a host as well.

If you haven’t made any configuration changes in the past and you were able to remote desktop home from an external IP before I don’t think it should be any simpler than this.

na i think i muxed it up bad (from playing with SP1 or Hyper-V)… my DSL Modem is an AIO, Modem/Router/Firewall (the most stable and fastest connecting I have found… the firmware is just too dumb…) so thats not it (and to verify that I made my laptop the DMZ and forward destination and it responds fine to port requests…

time to reformat… only got 2 weeks before messing something up 😀

I have had nothing but problems with R2. I switched back to Server 2008. Never going back. Windows 7 is crap.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.