New Server install (x86?)

Forums General General Discussion New Server install (x86?)

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Hello all,
      Post #1- I am a newbie at server-use in a working environment (only experience in a classroom) I acquired my copy of server 2008 for free and installed it on my #2 computer to play with the IIS and have someplace to put my VB environment and apps as they were beginning to get..messy I guess. This way I could get it off of my main puter.

I read on one of the pages while “Converting my Server into a Workstation”, that Server 2008 was only available on x64. This made me take notice as mine is on x86. Wikipedia provided an explanation, Server 2008 R2 removed support for x86, however mine DID receive the R2 update. My question is this; taking the previous statement into consideration, am I going to regret installing it where I did (x86). My thinking was that this way I could install it on its own HDD, but suddenly that is not as much of a priority as before. Am I going to run into problems if I leave it where it is at or should I consider install as dual-boot with win7?
      Ironically, I just activated it today, several hours ago!
      Thanks in advance for any advice.

HP dx2400 Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 @2.00GHz 4G (PC2-6400)A-Data RAM /80G HDD XPPro, 500G HDD Win7 Ultimate x64
      HP sr1610nx AMD Sempron 3200+ 1.80GHz 1.25G A-Data RAM 80G HDD XP Home, 120G HDD Server 2008 Standard x86

@muhstang1 wrote:

I read on one of the pages while “Converting my Server into a Workstation”, that Server 2008 was only available on x64. This made me take notice as mine is on x86. Wikipedia provided an explanation, Server 2008 R2 removed support for x86, however mine DID receive the R2 update.

If it’s x86, it’s Server 2008, not Server 2008 R2. Those are two separate operating systems (server counterparts to Vista and 7, respectively), and you cannot upgrade the former to the latter via Windows Update, which it sounds like you’re talking about. Also, if your Server 2008 version is x86, then you cannot upgrade it to R2 at all, since a 32-bit OS cannot be upgraded to a 64-bit one, you need to do a clean install instead.

Anonymous

@muhstang1 wrote:

I read on one of the pages while “Converting my Server into a Workstation”, that Server 2008 was only available on x64. This made me take notice as mine is on x86. Wikipedia provided an explanation, Server 2008 R2 removed support for x86, however mine DID receive the R2 update.

If it’s x86, it’s Server 2008, not Server 2008 R2. Those are two separate operating systems (server counterparts to Vista and 7, respectively), and you cannot upgrade the former to the latter via Windows Update, which it sounds like you’re talking about. Also, if your Server 2008 version is x86, then you cannot upgrade it to R2 at all, since a 32-bit OS cannot be upgraded to a 64-bit one, you need to do a clean install instead.

Hi,

It appears TS is confusing R2 with SP2.

The only thing you may regret installing it on that machine is probably not having enough RAM for it to run smoothly.

Cheers,

$

Anonymous

Hi,

It appears TS is confusing R2 with SP2.

The only thing you may regret installing it on that machine is probably not having enough RAM for it to run smoothly.

Cheers,

$

Not unless you install the vista/server 2008 platform update. it was released recently to get vista systems up to speed on some of the features windows 7 has. This is good for people who cannot afford to upgrade to windows 7, or those who have contractual agreements like enterprises.

if you install the platform update you do not need to drop the x86.

However, as always, I recommend using a 64 bit OS on 64 bit hardware. There is no reason to do so becuase you are holding your system down, and causing problems doing so.

They are no longer manufacturing 32 bit systems anymore as far as I know, in mainstream markets. Specially for server products, where servers are needing more and more resources that 32 bit OSes cannot support, as well as enhanced security, stability, and longevity.

Anonymous

Not unless you install the vista/server 2008 platform update. it was released recently to get vista systems up to speed on some of the features windows 7 has. This is good for people who cannot afford to upgrade to windows 7, or those who have contractual agreements like enterprises.

if you install the platform update you do not need to drop the x86.

However, as always, I recommend using a 64 bit OS on 64 bit hardware. There is no reason to do so becuase you are holding your system down, and causing problems doing so.

They are no longer manufacturing 32 bit systems anymore as far as I know, in mainstream markets. Specially for server products, where servers are needing more and more resources that 32 bit OSes cannot support, as well as enhanced security, stability, and longevity.

Just a note here folks, but there are absolutely no stability issues with running 32bit software on a 64bit cpu. It is basically impossible based on how they work. Any stability problems are not due to the cpu being 64bit, but something higher up the abstraction layer.

In fact in some cases depending on the software, running 32bit software on a 64bit cpu can be a whole lot faster than running 64bit software on a 64 bit cpu.

Use what works for you 🙂

Anonymous

Just a note here folks, but there are absolutely no stability issues with running 32bit software on a 64bit cpu. It is basically impossible based on how they work. Any stability problems are not due to the cpu being 64bit, but something higher up the abstraction layer.

In fact in some cases depending on the software, running 32bit software on a 64bit cpu can be a whole lot faster than running 64bit software on a 64 bit cpu.

Use what works for you 🙂

A 32-bit server operating system is ideal for any average desktop/user wanting to experience it. Most of the general public’s motherboard are lucky to support 4GB of RAM (newer ones 8GB+) but even with an 8GB limit Server 2008 Enterprise can support that much. Also I’ve noticed 64-bit versions of Windows tend to slow my system down. They are not as responsive as a native 32-bit OS because the 64-bit OS has to emulate 32-bit settings which increases performance overhead. I can understand if for other practical uses (photoshop, database, programming) a 64-bit processor with a 64-bit OS is unmatched. But for me, its a waste of time. My browsing experience just feels much more responsive on 32-bit Server 2008. I can leave the computer on for 24 hours and then return to it with confidence knowing my computer will respond as fast as it did the minute i turned it on.

Anonymous

A 32-bit server operating system is ideal for any average desktop/user wanting to experience it. Most of the general public’s motherboard are lucky to support 4GB of RAM (newer ones 8GB+) but even with an 8GB limit Server 2008 Enterprise can support that much. Also I’ve noticed 64-bit versions of Windows tend to slow my system down. They are not as responsive as a native 32-bit OS because the 64-bit OS has to emulate 32-bit settings which increases performance overhead. I can understand if for other practical uses (photoshop, database, programming) a 64-bit processor with a 64-bit OS is unmatched. But for me, its a waste of time. My browsing experience just feels much more responsive on 32-bit Server 2008. I can leave the computer on for 24 hours and then return to it with confidence knowing my computer will respond as fast as it did the minute i turned it on.

Viewing 10 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.