Network Scanner

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Hi there

We have a brother MFC-295CN printer/scanner – that is used just for scanning. The lastest drivers for Win 7 refuse to install – don’t really need the whole shooting match, just the TWAIN driver so that I can ‘see’ the scanner in Paperport.

Any suggestions would be appreciated…

Arris

Hey gchq,

Have you installed the Desktop Experience feature? This is needed to enable Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) component.

More info in the following topics:

• [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1075:264dn1bv]HP PSC 1613[/localurl:264dn1bv]
        • [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=6&t=506:264dn1bv]BenQ S2W 4300u Scanner[/localurl:264dn1bv]
        • [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27&p=287:264dn1bv]Epson Scanner drivers[/localurl:264dn1bv]

Hope this solves your problem too! 🙂

Arris

Anonymous

Hey gchq,

Have you installed the Desktop Experience feature? This is needed to enable Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) component.

More info in the following topics:

• [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1075:264dn1bv]HP PSC 1613[/localurl:264dn1bv]
          • [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=6&t=506:264dn1bv]BenQ S2W 4300u Scanner[/localurl:264dn1bv]
          • [localurl=viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27&p=287:264dn1bv]Epson Scanner drivers[/localurl:264dn1bv]

Hope this solves your problem too! 🙂

Arris

@Arris wrote:

Have you installed the Desktop Experience feature

Yup – desktop experience installed and Aero up and running

Will look at those links now.

Thanks for the prompt response

Anonymous

@Arris wrote:

Have you installed the Desktop Experience feature

Yup – desktop experience installed and Aero up and running

Will look at those links now.

Thanks for the prompt response

Arris

Hmm.

Have you also tried the Driver Deployment Wizard from the Brother Solutions Center: MCF-295CN?

An other possibility might be downloading/extracting Printer Driver & Scanner Driver for Local Connection and manually installing them via Start -> Run -> %ProgramFiles%Windows Photo ViewerImagingDevices.exe

Last option I can currently think of is going to the Device Manager (Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc), right clicking the root node (your computername) and selecting Add legacy hardware. In this wizard manually select the scanner driver you downloaded/extracted from the Printer Driver & Scanner Driver for Local Connection package from the Brother website. After running the wizard go to the Devices and Printers section in the Control Panel and try to change the location (port) of the scanner to the correct location.

I don’t have a (network) scanner myself, so don’t know if this last method works. What I do know is that a similar method works with the installation of a network printer.

Good luck! 😉

Anonymous

Hmm.

Have you also tried the Driver Deployment Wizard from the Brother Solutions Center: MCF-295CN?

An other possibility might be downloading/extracting Printer Driver & Scanner Driver for Local Connection and manually installing them via Start -> Run -> %ProgramFiles%Windows Photo ViewerImagingDevices.exe

Last option I can currently think of is going to the Device Manager (Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc), right clicking the root node (your computername) and selecting Add legacy hardware. In this wizard manually select the scanner driver you downloaded/extracted from the Printer Driver & Scanner Driver for Local Connection package from the Brother website. After running the wizard go to the Devices and Printers section in the Control Panel and try to change the location (port) of the scanner to the correct location.

I don’t have a (network) scanner myself, so don’t know if this last method works. What I do know is that a similar method works with the installation of a network printer.

Good luck! 😉

Getting the thing to appear and run as a printer works (althought the odd thing is it won’t wake up from sleep mode – although the HP 4500N Network printer is fine).

Trying to get this to configure as a scanner is still, however, eluding me…

Watch this space!

Anonymous

Getting the thing to appear and run as a printer works (althought the odd thing is it won’t wake up from sleep mode – although the HP 4500N Network printer is fine).

Trying to get this to configure as a scanner is still, however, eluding me…

Watch this space!

This is an old topic, but as the solution is relevant and I could not find the complete solution by searching the web I think it is appropriate to post it here. I guess people here are savvy enough to realize for themselves what modifications are needed if they want to use these steps for installing a brother printer on a different server such as 2003, 2012, 2012 R2 and so forth. My reply as also posted elsewhere:

You have to edit some files in order for this to work. First you will need to edit the .inf file for the scanner and include windows server 2008 as a possible target. I did this for MFC-J4510DW on windows server 2008 R2, but I assume similar steps have to be taken for your machine and OS. You will of course need to copy the driver CD to disk first so you can edit files. I edited:
                  C:BrotherCDinstalldrivergdi32_64brimi12i.inf (might be called something different for your machine)
                  and changed:
                  [Manufacturer]
                  %Manufact%=MODEL,NTx86.5.1.1,NTamd64.5.2.1,NTx86.6.0.1,NTamd64.6.0.1,NTx86.5.1,NTamd64.5.2
                  to
                  [Manufacturer]
                  %Manufact%=MODEL,NTx86.5.1.1,NTamd64.5.2.1,NTx86.6.0.1,NTamd64.6.0.1,NTx86.6.1,NTamd64.6.1

Then you have to add the lines for your printer model by copy and paste from the entry for windows 7, I assume in your case NTx86.6.0.1 to the appropriate section of the .inf, I assume in your case NTx86.6.1. I used the sections called NTx86.5.1 and NTamd64.5.2 and used these by changing them to NTx86.6.1 and NTamd64.6.1. These will then point to the files for windows 7 and no more editing of the .inf is necessary.

After that you will have to edit the installManager.INI for your model and language. In my case this was:
                  C:BrotherCDinstallmanagerMFC-J4510DWenginstallManager.INI
                  and change ServerOS=Disable to ServerOS=Enable

The last step I am not sure is necessary and might pertain to something else, but I did it nonetheless and haven’t tried with and without. This was editing Brinst_Common.ini in:
                  C:BrotherCDinstallMFC-J4510DWBrinst_Common.ini where I changed:
                  EnableServer=0 to EnableServer=1

Now installing on server 2008 and server 2008 R2 should work like a charm. The included version of Paperport did not install and I used a copy of Paperport Pro 14 so I haven’t done any hacks to get the included software to install. This means I had to choose custom install and install MFL-Pro Suite without paperport.

Sincerely
                  throdos

Anonymous

This is an old topic, but as the solution is relevant and I could not find the complete solution by searching the web I think it is appropriate to post it here. I guess people here are savvy enough to realize for themselves what modifications are needed if they want to use these steps for installing a brother printer on a different server such as 2003, 2012, 2012 R2 and so forth. My reply as also posted elsewhere:

You have to edit some files in order for this to work. First you will need to edit the .inf file for the scanner and include windows server 2008 as a possible target. I did this for MFC-J4510DW on windows server 2008 R2, but I assume similar steps have to be taken for your machine and OS. You will of course need to copy the driver CD to disk first so you can edit files. I edited:
                    C:BrotherCDinstalldrivergdi32_64brimi12i.inf (might be called something different for your machine)
                    and changed:
                    [Manufacturer]
                    %Manufact%=MODEL,NTx86.5.1.1,NTamd64.5.2.1,NTx86.6.0.1,NTamd64.6.0.1,NTx86.5.1,NTamd64.5.2
                    to
                    [Manufacturer]
                    %Manufact%=MODEL,NTx86.5.1.1,NTamd64.5.2.1,NTx86.6.0.1,NTamd64.6.0.1,NTx86.6.1,NTamd64.6.1

Then you have to add the lines for your printer model by copy and paste from the entry for windows 7, I assume in your case NTx86.6.0.1 to the appropriate section of the .inf, I assume in your case NTx86.6.1. I used the sections called NTx86.5.1 and NTamd64.5.2 and used these by changing them to NTx86.6.1 and NTamd64.6.1. These will then point to the files for windows 7 and no more editing of the .inf is necessary.

After that you will have to edit the installManager.INI for your model and language. In my case this was:
                    C:BrotherCDinstallmanagerMFC-J4510DWenginstallManager.INI
                    and change ServerOS=Disable to ServerOS=Enable

The last step I am not sure is necessary and might pertain to something else, but I did it nonetheless and haven’t tried with and without. This was editing Brinst_Common.ini in:
                    C:BrotherCDinstallMFC-J4510DWBrinst_Common.ini where I changed:
                    EnableServer=0 to EnableServer=1

Now installing on server 2008 and server 2008 R2 should work like a charm. The included version of Paperport did not install and I used a copy of Paperport Pro 14 so I haven’t done any hacks to get the included software to install. This means I had to choose custom install and install MFL-Pro Suite without paperport.

Sincerely
                    throdos

Viewing 10 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.