my tests with server 2008 and vista

Forums General Introduction my tests with server 2008 and vista

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

hello community,

firstly i want to thank the site admin and the community for the good manual and helpfull threads! it helped me very much to install server 08 with all the vista features. my english is not very good, i’m not a native english speaker, so sorry if i misdo.

i tested the server 08 and think it isn’t as great as most user tell. i think it’s much slower than vista, so i did some tests. the problems of my tests are that i use a 32bit vista and a 64bit server os, so the timings are not really comparable, but i think that there have not to be as big differences between the 2 systems.

my configuration: 2gb ram, intel dual core e4300 @1,8ghz
      both os are installed at the same time, configured with the same configuration, the same programms installed (only two different firewalls), they both access on the same documents and application data on a third partition on the same 400 gb hard disk.
      nearly all features eyplained in the pdf manual are installed on the server os, preftch is active at both operating systems

the tests:
      – starting the system from vista’s bootmanager up to the login screen (2 times tested, nearly the same timings)
      + vista 40-42 sec
      + server 1 min 28 sec to 1 min 30 sec
      – 1 second later login to a user without password and without administrative permissions until the loading curser disappears
      + vista 20-24 sec
      + server 1′ 28” – 1′ 30”
      – after that starting the task manager
      + vista: first ca. 1,08 gb ram, then down to 850-875mb ram, by starting the explorer navigating to a document it goes up to 950mb
      + server: 1,00-1,02gb ram, constant, with explorer up to 1,10gb
      -starting an indesign document
      + vista 40-45min, 1,2gb ram
      + server 60sec 1,4gb ram
      – starting my normal programms directly after starting the computer: QIP,Live messenger, skype, thunderbird,itunes, firefox:
      + vista 1,25gb ram, ca. 2 min.
      + server 3 min, 1,45 gb ram

the search indexer is finished on both systems.

why do you think are my results not as good as this site tells?

greetings from Munich

w3-master

hello,

i actually cannot believe these results, but let’s wait what the admin will say.

all i can say that i tested vista 32bit and server 2008 and the benchmarks show that server even with aero features enabled was about 15 percent faster. And other tests showed this result too

personally i don’t know why you choose the 64bit 2008 with 2GB RAM. i use 64bit only with 4GB or higher, otherwise i doesnt make real sense to me. but thats your stuff

p.s.: some new tweaks by the admin for server 2008: http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/2008/08/26/fine-tuning-services/

yes its not make any sense

sorry my ram is 3 gb and not 2, this was a failure, but it’s yet still very strange.
      in the beginning (before installing all the programms), it was much faster, but i didn’t do any tests before i installed the programms, so i don’t no if it was maybe faster before that.

And i’ve got another problem: my mozilla thunderbird makes problems if i start it directly after starting the system, then the internet connection doesn’t work only for thunderbird, restarting thunderbird doesn’t work – if i wait a few minutes after start it just works.

Are the tests Vista WITH or WITHOUT SP1 vs. Server 2008?

There could be a great difference, because Vista SP1 has the same Kernel Version than Server 2008, Vista non SP1 has an older Kernel…

vista is with service pack 1 and on both systems are all updates installed.

Arris

Hey w3-master, welcome at the Win2008Workstation.com forums and I am glad you enjoyed the manual!

About your benchmark: I don’t have a clue why in your case Vista SP1 x86 is faster than Windows Server 2008 x64. In the worst case their results should be equal. The only difference in your test is the architecture of the operating systems. Try to install either a 64bit Vista SP1 beside Windows Server 2008 x64 or a 32bit Windows Server 2008 beside your currently installed Vista SP1 x86 and then test again. If that results in the same conclusions, I really don’t know what the cause of the slow down of Windows Server 2008 in your case is.

Are they both completely fresh, brand new installs? Or have you had Vista installed for some time, then decided to try Server 2008? If this is the case, then it would definately be the fact that Superfetch on the Vista system has a well-established database of all dll’s and programs and all that, whereas the Server 2008 is still ‘learning’ your computer habits. Apart from that, yeah I agree with everyone else – no idea 😛

I can tell you now though, I have an old P4 Prescott [with HT] at 3GHz and only 1GB of DDR420 RAM and a GeForce 7300GT on this PC; and Server 2008 is so much faster than Vista it just aint funny 😛

Plus, is it just me – or is Server 2008 a HELL of a lot more stable than Vista!?!? I don’t think explorer.exe has crashed ONCE since i installed 2008 a few weeks ago, whereas Vista would happen twice a week on average… hehe!

i have e4300 too with ds3 965g gigabyte and i tested vista long ago

and then tried the first server 2008
        its was gr8 and from that point never got back to vista

the boot time is long to me too but im using hibernation and waiting for the new server [server 7 hopefully will fix the boot time ]

should be in month or later so im not worry about it much

@aviv00 wrote:

i have e4300 too with ds3 965g gigabyte and i tested vista long ago

and then tried the first server 2008
        its was gr8 and from that point never got back to vista

the boot time is long to me too but im using hibernation and waiting for the new server [server 7 hopefully will fix the boot time ]

should be in month or later so im not worry about it much

Windows 7 in a few months? Try a few years… they are aiming for 2010.

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.