Mouse

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author

When you turn server on and it’s loading, then starts the logon, the classic mouse icons start first, anyone know how/if you can change those to aero icons?

does this with me but not a big deal. I ignore it.

Anonymous

does this with me but not a big deal. I ignore it.

I’m assuming you’ve done this and are wondering why before you logon that the Aero Cursors aren’t there right away?

When you logon, Windows loads your personal settings – wallpaper, screensaver, theme, cursors. As what you did in the above tutorial was change it for your account, that is the only place you will use the cursors. For example: I am using XP and I have the Vista Aero cursors installed (and Mac OS X ones too) and when I logon, it will say “Loading your personal settings…” and then my mouse will change.

There really is no reason for that less than 60 seconds logon time that you need the Aero cursors until you actually logon.

If you REALLY wanted to have the Aero Cursors, see if this works:

1) Download a .zip file with the cursors in it (if the tutorial include them, then you’re fine, if not, Google for them)
        2) Extract them somewhere (such as C:WindowsCursorsAero)
        3) Open up the Mouse Applet in Control Panel, click the Cursor tab.
        4) Find the scheme with the standard (non-aero) cursors.
        5) Go through and replace each one with its Aero counterpart.
        6) Save the scheme with the same name.
        7) Restart or Logoff your computer.

No need to backup as the normal cursors are still on your computer.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous

I’m assuming you’ve done this and are wondering why before you logon that the Aero Cursors aren’t there right away?

When you logon, Windows loads your personal settings – wallpaper, screensaver, theme, cursors. As what you did in the above tutorial was change it for your account, that is the only place you will use the cursors. For example: I am using XP and I have the Vista Aero cursors installed (and Mac OS X ones too) and when I logon, it will say “Loading your personal settings…” and then my mouse will change.

There really is no reason for that less than 60 seconds logon time that you need the Aero cursors until you actually logon.

If you REALLY wanted to have the Aero Cursors, see if this works:

1) Download a .zip file with the cursors in it (if the tutorial include them, then you’re fine, if not, Google for them)
          2) Extract them somewhere (such as C:WindowsCursorsAero)
          3) Open up the Mouse Applet in Control Panel, click the Cursor tab.
          4) Find the scheme with the standard (non-aero) cursors.
          5) Go through and replace each one with its Aero counterpart.
          6) Save the scheme with the same name.
          7) Restart or Logoff your computer.

No need to backup as the normal cursors are still on your computer.

Hope this helps.

Helped. Thanks man.

Anonymous

Helped. Thanks man.

Actually it didn’t help, it won’t let me save it as the same name. (None).

Anonymous

Actually it didn’t help, it won’t let me save it as the same name. (None).

I have 200MB left of the download so I’ll take a look at it once it finishes and I install R2.

Anonymous

I have 200MB left of the download so I’ll take a look at it once it finishes and I install R2.

Ok

Anonymous

Ok

Did you install it?

Anonymous

Did you install it?

Yeah I did, I just haven’t had much time to play around with it.

Anonymous

Yeah I did, I just haven’t had much time to play around with it.

Bummer.

Anonymous

Bummer.

Darn, Arris beat me to it, I was going to say reduce the size of your signature, but Arris already did 😉

Anyways, I poked around in the Registry a bit to see if I could find where the default scheme is kept and [s:h34iq395]so far I haven't found anything, but if I do, I'll let you know.[/s:h34iq395] I think I may have found something, let me just check it out a bit more.

Okay, here is a tutorial I found based on what I found in the Registry (and by searching Google) and I don’t have time to test this so see if it works for you.

Anonymous

Darn, Arris beat me to it, I was going to say reduce the size of your signature, but Arris already did 😉

Anyways, I poked around in the Registry a bit to see if I could find where the default scheme is kept and [s:h34iq395]so far I haven't found anything, but if I do, I'll let you know.[/s:h34iq395] I think I may have found something, let me just check it out a bit more.

Okay, here is a tutorial I found based on what I found in the Registry (and by searching Google) and I don’t have time to test this so see if it works for you.

Dunno which link to click. And I edited the sig, my bad 😆

Anonymous

Dunno which link to click. And I edited the sig, my bad 😆

Arris

@xxcom9a wrote:

Hehe, yep! 😉

I believe this is a per-user setting which can be changed in the registry in HKEY_USERSS-1-5-XX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXControl PanelCursors. If no user is logged in yet it loads the settings from HKEY_USERS.DEFAULT where you can also change the cursor scheme in HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTControl PanelCursors. If you Export that key from a user which uses the Aero cursors, open the exported .reg file in notepad, find/replace S-1-5-XX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXX by .DEFAULT and import it you ‘ll get the Aero cursors at logon screen.

Good luck!

Arris

Anonymous

@xxcom9a wrote:

Hehe, yep! 😉

I believe this is a per-user setting which can be changed in the registry in HKEY_USERSS-1-5-XX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXControl PanelCursors. If no user is logged in yet it loads the settings from HKEY_USERS.DEFAULT where you can also change the cursor scheme in HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTControl PanelCursors. If you Export that key from a user which uses the Aero cursors, open the exported .reg file in notepad, find/replace S-1-5-XX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXX by .DEFAULT and import it you ‘ll get the Aero cursors at logon screen.

Good luck!

Arris

Yep, it works, thanks Arris!
                                (Regfile is included as an attachment)
                                [attachment=0:wdh3bfqw]default_aero_cursors.zip[/attachment:wdh3bfqw]
                                Please, include it in your Win2008R2Workstation howto. 😉

Anonymous

Yep, it works, thanks Arris!
                                  (Regfile is included as an attachment)
                                  [attachment=0:wdh3bfqw]default_aero_cursors.zip[/attachment:wdh3bfqw]
                                  Please, include it in your Win2008R2Workstation howto. 😉

Oh cool, thanks guys.

Anonymous

Oh cool, thanks guys.

Viewing 28 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.