Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows Server 2012

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2012 Applications Compatibility Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows Server 2012

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • Author
      Lotusisrael

Today I have discovered that a user posted in here http://www.win2012workstation.com/security-software/
        about MSE
        ”1.Download Microsoft Security Essentials 2.Set Compatibility mode to Windows 7 3.Run mseinstall /disableoslimit from command prompt as Admin 4.Enjoy!”
        Tested it. It works. You do not need to keep System Center Endpoint Protection Client, that, legaly, has a 180 days trial and it is expensive, afterwards, to buy. The sole problem would be that the eula forbids to ”work around any technical limitations of the software”, I do not know if this applies to this. The eula is not clear, anyway. Honestly, it will make sense for me that this procedure to be accepted or at least tolerated by Microsoft, because we have legitimate trial or Dreamspark licenses on WS and we use MSE for the purpose it was designed, to be used for personal, non-commercial purposes, on personal PCs.

Anonymous

That Chinese source it is not trustworthy, it can filled with malware. This is from where you can get the official trial installer.
          http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/system-center/endpoint-protection-2012.aspx
          After registration and dowload, like I said allready ”Download, unzip and look into the ”Client” folder from inside the ”SMSSETUP” folder, install what is there and you will have a version of Microsoft Security Essentials that is compatible with Windows Server 2012.” It will probably run more then 180 days of the trial, even this is, officially, piracy. This is why I think MSE is preferable, because, is, practicly, the same thing, and it is probably legal. The last link you gave refers only to the definition update.

Anonymous

i installed mse the way you guided but it can not be uninstalled the normal way!!!

please guide me to uninstall it…does it need an elevated command to be uninstalled???

i got Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection 4.2.223.0 from the chinese site!!!

looks good & clean…have a look : https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/eebf8fbe6920d51b2728de6303457f25de302c1e3a5742ed175d281caec276bd/analysis/

the official trial installer is 613 mb 😮

Anonymous

You do not need to install all that, only SCEPclient, look in my previous messages and you will see where is the installer, after un unzip the archive. But my advice is, if you have MSE installed, to keep it, unless you want to install a non-Microsoft antivirus, because MSE is virtually identical with SCEP client, and probably free for an unlimited time. There may be ways of removing it, I have a few ideas, but I do not recomand them, you may remain without both MSE and SCEP client. One will be to do the Task Manager trick used to make burning features build in Windows to work, I have described it allready. After you get Windows Explorer in that state, go to Control Panel and try to uninstall it. If it does not work, go to the search box and click Appwiz.cpl . Then right click MSE and see if it can be uninstalled. If it can not be uninstalled and you want a non-Microsoft antivirus, you can disable the active protection and the scheduled scans and it is like MSE is not present anymore, then try to install a 3rd party antivirus. Anyway, if this is the case SCEP client will not be installed, because it is nothing more then a re-packaged MSE, and being allready there, you can not install it more then once.

Anonymous

@kommunikator wrote:

guys…

is system center 2012 endpoint protection Better Than microsoft security essentials???

Yes.
                SCEP has got a little bit better testresults in antimalwaretests.
                Although no big difference.

To get SCEP follow my instructions above, just download and extract.

Anonymous

@kommunikator wrote:

i installed mse the way you guided but it can not be uninstalled the normal way!!!

please guide me to uninstall it…does it need an elevated command to be uninstalled???

i got Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection 4.2.223.0 from the chinese site!!!

looks good & clean…have a look : https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/eebf8fbe6920d51b2728de6303457f25de302c1e3a5742ed175d281caec276bd/analysis/

the official trial installer is 613 mb 😮

NO.

The whole SCEP download is 1,4 GB !
                  If you have got SCEP from a “chinese” site then it´s obviously not genuine !!!

Why don´t you follow the advice i gave you above ?
                  Do you really want your computer to get infected ?
                  Download directly from Microsoft !

Anonymous

@lotusisrael & hackerman,

i am sure you guys have the scep extracted…can you please upload it some where???

not just me but a lot of people would be indebted to you 🙄

Anonymous

@kommunikator wrote:

i am sure you guys have the scep extracted…can you please upload it some where???

Why don’t you just follow the easy to follow steps to get it. I dunno the rules on this site, but its against copy right laws etc. to share microsoft files, even through some forums does it. So it might be the same case here for not distributing the files directly. Just download the 1.4 GB file, get the SCEP file and delete the rest if you don’t need. Its not that hard really.

Anonymous

@franner,

unfortunately i do not have a fast connection…1.4gb on my connection will take me 3 days!!!

1 need not upload it here…it can be uploaded on a free hosting site…it can be done discreetly via private messaging…it can even be emailed to me!!!

thank you for not helping!!!

Anonymous

@kommunikator wrote:

Actually i thought about uploading SCEP somewhere already when i found out how to extract it, almost a year ago,
                          but since i was (and still are) unsure regarding potential legal consequenses i never did.

Anyway, it´s very easy to extract SCEP, just follow my instructions….
                          The only “problem” is the size of the download, if you don´t have a good (“cheap”) internet connection, downloading 1,4 GB costs time and money.
                          SCEP is only 18 MB so uploading it somewhere is no problem….
                          Perhaps someone could ask Microsoft if they would allow it…?

There is however also another “problem” with extracting and uploading SCEP, if i upload SCEP then you can´t be sure you get a “genuin” copy….
                          Do you really trust me, a total stranger ???
                          It could be malware in the files that i upload….

Remember: ONLY DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE DIRECTLY FROM THE “SOURCE” !

This is especially important when it comes to “security-software” like antimalwareprograms.

Anonymous

@hackerman,

yes i trust you!!! what would you get by messing up my computer???

please email me the latest sc2k12ep .exe if you have it extracted!!!

let me know if i should pm you my email id!!!

Anonymous

As I’m just installing my 2012 essentials I was googling for a-v and found this thread/forum.

From what I understand I can either install MSE or the extracted SCEP.
                              The SCEP seems like the smarter choice since no manipulation has to be done with the install but can anyone comfirm that it will stop functioning after 180 days? It seems quiet wasteful to install it if will stop working in half a year, when I might as well install the tweaked MSE yet it would feel better with a “normal” install.

Will it be possible to uninstall the SCEP or will it be troublesome since the whole suite isn’t installed? If uninstalling works flawlessly then I take it I got nothing to lose installing it.. in 180 days it either keeps working or I can uninstall and then install MSE…

So long story short:
                              – is it comfirmed that it will stop functioning after 180 days or has anyone had it for so long and it keeps working?
                              – does uninstalling the extracted SCEP work?

It’s only for my homeserver, no business. Almost feels overkill with WS12E but WHS won’t be developed anymore so I had no choice… the server is used as a mediaserver (Plex), and file-backup for my workstation and laptop. It feels overkill buying a licence with AVG file server if I can get a-v for free. Think this should have been included for consumers, they are promoting the essentials as the replacement for WHS which is for consumers and not enterprise…

Best regards

Anonymous

@olo wrote:

As I’m just installing my 2012 essentials I was googling for a-v and found this thread/forum.

From what I understand I can either install MSE or the extracted SCEP.
                                The SCEP seems like the smarter choice since no manipulation has to be done with the install but can anyone comfirm that it will stop functioning after 180 days? It seems quiet wasteful to install it if will stop working in half a year, when I might as well install the tweaked MSE yet it would feel better with a “normal” install.

Will it be possible to uninstall the SCEP or will it be troublesome since the whole suite isn’t installed? If uninstalling works flawlessly then I take it I got nothing to lose installing it.. in 180 days it either keeps working or I can uninstall and then install MSE…

So long story short:
                                – is it comfirmed that it will stop functioning after 180 days or has anyone had it for so long and it keeps working?
                                – does uninstalling the extracted SCEP work?

It’s only for my homeserver, no business. Almost feels overkill with WS12E but WHS won’t be developed anymore so I had no choice… the server is used as a mediaserver (Plex), and file-backup for my workstation and laptop. It feels overkill buying a licence with AVG file server if I can get a-v for free. Think this should have been included for consumers, they are promoting the essentials as the replacement for WHS which is for consumers and not enterprise…

Best regards

I can not confirm that it will stop working. I do not know if anybody from here actually can. But I can tell you that, in the whole System Center Eula it says you get 180 days for free, then you need to pay. It might be a time bomb build-in, we shall see that. But, even if SCEP client does not have a time bomb, it is clear that using it after 180 days is illegal.
                                One important note: installing MSE with this method makes it uninstallable. This means, you are stuck with it permanently, something Windows Defender on Windows 8, and this makes it difficult to install 3rd party antivirus, if you want to. Even more, installing 3rd party antivirus on Win 8 disables automaticly WD, but in here this probably will not hapend.

Anonymous

I understand that MSE is impossible to uninstall. But is that true for the SCEP as well?
                                  In case I want to get a third-party A-V I don’t wanna have the SCEP screwing everything up…

Anonymous

@olo wrote:

I understand that MSE is impossible to uninstall. But is that true for the SCEP as well?
                                    In case I want to get a third-party A-V I don’t wanna have the SCEP screwing everything up…

No, that has a working uninstaller.

Anonymous

Thx for quick reply, then I have nothing to lose by trying it out!

Anonymous

Okay problem!

I followed the steps above downloading the trial.. extracting the SCEPinstall.exe from the smssetup/client folder…

I go to run it and I get an error message saying it can’t be installed on my operating system.
                                        What’s wrong?

And stating the obvious I’m running WS2012E…

Anonymous

@olo wrote:

And stating the obvious I’m running WS2012E…

Are you running Windows Server 2012 Essentials ? If so, that might be a problem. Trial and Dreamspark version we work on here, at least mostly, are Standard and Datacenter.

Anonymous

@lotusisrael,

you had recommended doing this :

start screen > gpedit.msc > local group policy editor > local computer policy > computer configuration >
                                            administrative templates > windows components > windows defender >
                                            turn off windows defender > disabled
                                            turn off real-time monitoring > disabled
                                            turn off routinely taking action > disabled

when i click on edit…in the help section of the policy itself it says this :

If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, by default Windows Defender runs and computers are scanned for malware and other potentially unwanted software.

what i am wondering is that disabling it is the same thing as not configuring it…isn’t it???

Anonymous

@kommunikator wrote:

@lotusisrael,

you had recommended doing this :

start screen > gpedit.msc > local group policy editor > local computer policy > computer configuration >
                                              administrative templates > windows components > windows defender >
                                              turn off windows defender > disabled
                                              turn off real-time monitoring > disabled
                                              turn off routinely taking action > disabled

when i click on edit…in the help section of the policy itself it says this :

If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, by default Windows Defender runs and computers are scanned for malware and other potentially unwanted software.

what i am wondering is that disabling it is the same thing as not configuring it…isn’t it???

I do not know. Keep in mind that this WS2012, not Windows 8, and I assume gpedit.msc is designed, primarly, for Windows 8. So I guess it is safer to disable them, to be sure.

Anonymous

@Lotusisrael wrote:

safer to disable them, to be sure.

aye aye captain 😉

btw, i have noticed that microsoft is really striving to improve microsoft security essentials!!!

what i mean is…previously when microsoft security essentials was released the definition updates used to be just twice a day or at the most thrice a day!!!
                                                but these days there are more than 5 / 6 definition updates in a day 😮
                                                way to go microsoft 😆

Anonymous

@kommunikator wrote:

aye aye captain 😉

btw, i have noticed that microsoft is really striving to improve microsoft security essentials!!!

what i mean is…previously when microsoft security essentials was released the definition updates used to be just twice a day or at the most thrice a day!!!
                                                  but these days there are more than 5 / 6 definition updates in a day 😮
                                                  way to go microsoft 😆

Lol, I am no captain here, the captain is Arris. 😉

Well, it seems that MSE is droping again. Why is that? On AV Test, november, it has lost the certification. Regained it in february, to loose it again in may. It is quite a low function antimalware, but is one of the few that actualy work on Windows Server OS. Just thoose day tried Bitdefender again and blocked the booting on half. Because I could not acces Windows anymore, I managed to get into safe mode and uninstall it. Bitdefender has a far better efficiency, but it seems that WS2012 with all the updates installed and BD free with the latest version can not work together. MSE or SCEP work pretty well.
                                                  By the way, I have subscribed to the preview version of Windows Server 2012 r2, when it will be available, and to the beta of the new SCEP version, I assume they will come in the same time.

Anonymous

@lotusisrael,

try webroot secure anywhere antivirus…installer package is only 718 kb…it is cloud based…light as a feather…installs faster than you can make instant coffee, in 3 minutes approximately…works side-by-side with microsoft security essentials…does not need any updates as all scanning is done in the cloud…blocks suspicious websites on internet explorer…starts up way before microsoft security essentials…asks you to enter a captcha code every time you change its settings…whew ❗

get a free 6 months trial installer here :

http://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/wsafbmpav.exe

Anonymous

@kommunikator wrote:

@lotusisrael,

try webroot secure anywhere antivirus…installer package is only 718 kb…it is cloud based…light as a feather…installs faster than you can make instant coffee, in 3 minutes approximately…works side-by-side with microsoft security essentials…does not need any updates as all scanning is done in the cloud…blocks suspicious websites on internet explorer…starts up way before microsoft security essentials…asks you to enter a captcha code every time you change its settings…whew ❗

get a free 6 months trial installer here :

http://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/wsafbmpav.exe

I do not like cloud based antiviruses. They seem light, but the response time is actually delayed. And besides, privacy is a big issue for me. I tend to avoid cloud related things, I think the only thing cloud based I interact with on a regular basis is my email account. You know what is said: Your files from the cloud are not actually yours. A cloud based antivirus is a briliant way of surveilance. Indeed, Microsoft can do that if you use any kind of Windows, but at least only Microsoft sees with I am doing on my PC, not a 3rd or a 4th part etc.
                                                      And, besides, if I wanted a cloud based antivirus, I would have used the free Clam AV.

Anonymous

@Lotusisrael wrote:

A cloud based antivirus is a briliant way of surveilance.

makes sense 😯 never thought of it in that sense 😮

Anonymous

windows update on ws2k12 has this :

Update for Microsoft Security Essentials – 4.3.215.0 (KB2855265)

Download size: 13.2 MB

but here :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/security-essentials-all-versions

it is still version 4.2.223 😯

the windows update will not work because microsoft security essentials is not ws2k12 compatible 🙁

where can I get the microsoft security essentials 4.3.215 64 bit package ❓

Anonymous
                                                            Anonymous

@RobrPatty wrote:

http://rsload.net/soft/security/10855-microsoft-security-essentials.html

You should always download software directly from the source, or from a website they refer you to !
                                                              That is of course especially important when downloading securitysoftware.

Why not download from Microsoft ?

Anonymous

I found this info:

“Rainer Meier asked on 2013-07-12
                                                                Security Essentials 4.3.215.0 downloads point to old 4.2.223.1 download archives
                                                                Currently the download links on the Security essentials download page and as well in Microsoft download center point to the outdated 4.2.223.1 download archives instead of latest 4.3.215.0. This seems to apply to all editions (checked English an German languages, 32-bit and 64-bit downloads).

On Security Essentials Download Page all links seem to load to the download of the 4.2.233.1 installer.
                                                                In download center it states version 4.3.215.0 in details panel but publish date still reads 2/26/2013 which is the release date of version 4.2.233.1 and when the download is started you will get version 4.2 downloaded.”

” Stephen Boots replied on 2013-07-12

MVP Community Moderator Community Star
                                                                I recommend that you wait. There’s nothing earth shattering about the upgrade. it will be offered to you via Windows update very soon, if not already.
                                                                -steve
                                                                Microsoft MVP Consumer Security “

more info: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/security-essentials-432150-downloads-point-to-old/ead42037-7e8b-48e1-a736-34311e9c9c9e?auth=1

So just wait a few days and you will get the latest version….

Anonymous

@hackerman1 wrote:

Why not download from Microsoft ?

@hackerman,

did you read my post properly ❓

@robrpatty

thank you 🙂

Anonymous

@hackerman1 wrote:

So just wait a few days and you will get the latest version

i asked for a download link not advice to be patient 😎

Anonymous

@robrpatty,

strangely the date in the digital signatures of the microsoft security essentials installers is 21 june 2013 😮

Anonymous

microsoft security essentials prerelease

32 & 64 bit ➡

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29942

😎

Anonymous

@kommunikator wrote:

@hackerman1 wrote:

So just wait a few days and you will get the latest version

i asked for a download link not advice to be patient 😎

Yes, wait a few days and you´ll get a link…. 😉 :mrgreen:

Viewing 33 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.