manage a windows server 2003 throw a server 2008

Forums General Feedback manage a windows server 2003 throw a server 2008

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,

I am trying to find out if it is possible to have this cenário:

one server – with windows server 2003
      Other server – with the new windows server 2008

The reason is because in my network i have several server with windows server 2003 and now i am forced to install a new server with windows server 2008…can i control and manage all the others using the windows server 2008 manager?

Best regards

Sasilva

Arris

Hello Sasilva,

If you expand the Administrative Tools menu in the Start menu you see many Management Console modules, for example: Computer Management, Event Viewer and Services. If you open one of these, you can click Connect to Another Computer in the Options menu to remotely administer an other server. I expect this also works from a Windows Server 2008 server to a Windows Server 2003 machine.

I am not aware of a possibility to connect to an other computer using the Server Manager (CompMgmtLauncher.exe)

Of course you can also enable Remote Desktop on the servers in order to manage them.

You can do it, but it’s extremely complicated and used in large networks.

Ever heard of cluster computing? That’s an example 😎

But a more basic example of such a thing is the Distributed File System technology.

But this is way over my head – this is the kind of stuff you learn in 4th year of IT administration [“Deploying a corporate networks in medium to large enterprises” is what we call it here in Australian diploma from what I remember]. So I don’t know. You’d have to buy a book on it.

Arris pretty much nailed the most basic way of doing it though. But, FYI Arris, he is talking of a sort of “Master-Slave” setup of a chain of network servers – one could be a DNS and a File Server, the other could be a Web server and a File server, but they both have the capability to seemlessly appear as one computer or IP address within the network.

Thats just one of a billion examples though. It’s really, really, REALLY heavy stuff that I havn’t had a need to look at in years!!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.