List of working games (x64)

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Games Compatibility List of working games (x64)

Viewing 47 reply threads
  • Author

GREEN – means working fine
      YELLOW – means working, but buggy or only with tricks (like gameux.dll etc)
      RED – means not working

If you got the gameux.dll error, download and copy the gameux.dll to WindowsSystem32 and WindowsSysWOW64
      http://rapidshare.com/files/101502821/gameux.dll.html

All games tested at Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64

A
      AudioSurf
      Aliens versus Predator 2 + Primal Hunt – works only with a crack! you are only allowed to use a crack if you own the original game! – uses IPX-Protocol, doesnt work over hamachi 🙁 – works with Server 2008 host and XP clients only
      Assassin’s Creed
      Advent Rising – run in Windows NT4 Compatibility mode, otherwise you get a random crash every so often, and then the game runs at about 4x normal framerate.
      Age of Conan – Download and install DX9.

B
      Battlefield 2
      Battlefield 2142
      Bioshock – Compatibility Mode Windows XP SP2
      Blobby Volley v1.8: no networkgame possible; 2.0 Alpha 6: OpenGl problems

C
      Counterstrike Source
      Call of Duty + United Offense – Cant install the main game, install on other system and export the registry entries.
      Call of Duty 4
      Call of Juarez – Conflicting experiences: some can install/play it; some get error during installation: cant install, script error 1628
      Crysis
      Command & Conquer – The First Decade

D
      Dark Messiah of Might and Magic – Sometimes crashes (same like Vista)
      Dominions 3
      Dawn of War – Game of the Year Edition
      Dawn of War – Winter Assault
      Dawn of War – Dark Crusade
      Dawn of War – Soulstorm
      Dandy

E
      EVE Online – Performance is very good

F
      Fable – The Lost Chapters – complains about various things, but works fine (quit sidebar if screen flickers)
      Freedom Fighters – complains about missing gameux.dll; works under compatibility mode Windows 98/ME; runs too fast (No FPS-Limiter?)
      Fiat Panda Fun Racer crashes at ingame menu
      Far Cry
      Far Cry 2
      FEAR + Extraction Point

G
      GTA IV – copy xinput9_1_0.dll to your game folder

H
      Half-Life 2 + Episodes
      Half-Life 2 – Deathmatch
      Half-Life 2 – Lost Coast
      House of the Dead III

I
      Icy Tower 1.3.1

L
      LinCity – I thought majority of open source games should run without a hitch.
      Lord of The Rings – Battle for Middle Earth I/II – works! You need the gameux.dll fix + the fix listed in this forum post.
      Left 4 Dead

M
      Mount & Blade
      Medieval 2 – Total War + Addon Kingdoms
      Manhunt

N
      Neverwinter Nights 2 – CRC copying VO.zip and then a whole bunch of files, which if you ignore all will always end in a critical error.

P
      Portal
      Postal Plus
      Postal 2 – Share the Pain
      Postal 2 – Apocalypse Weekend
      Pop Cab Games – only tested a few, but all shall work

Q
      Quake Engine based games

R
      Race Driver: Grid
      Rome – Total War + Babarian Invasion + Alexander
      Rainbox Six Vegas 2
      Rainbow Six – Raven Shield

S
      STALKER SoC / Clear Sky
      Swat 4 + Stetchkov Syndicate – complains about missing gameux.dll
      Superpower 2 – complains about missing gameux.dll
      Source Engine Mods
      Soldier of Fortune Payback works fine with newest patch v1.1
      Serious Sam – The First Encounter – use compatibility mode Windows 98/ME and Direct3D Mode to prevent graphic bugs
      Serious Sam – The Second Encounter – use compatibility mode Windows 98/ME and Direct3D Mode to prevent graphic bugs
      Silent Hunter 3 + Addon
      Silent Hunter 4 + Addon
      Star Trek Bridge Commander
      Star Trek Elite Force 2

T
      Team Fortress 2
      The Ship
      Thief 3 – Deadly Shadows
      The Lord of the Rings – Battle for Middle-Earth – doesnt start in any compatibility mode
      The Matrix: Path of Neo – complains about missing gameux.dll
      The Witcher – game isn’t creating start menu folder
      Test Drive Unlimited – There’s install shield issue. At the end I was unable to install it, but if you have old installation files on your HDD it will run smoothly. Install shield issue is only in x64 version. Server 2008 x86 is bug free, and game is installing properly.

W
      World of Warcraft
      Worms World Party – crashes under every compatibility mode
      War Leaders – Clash of Nations – unstable, but game-sided

edited on December 07th, 08:
      -added new games/infos

I will have to test Crysis, because the benchmark for any PC and OS is just awful. I ran a benchmark on WinXP and decided the game would look horrible. I tried it then in Vista and got almost identical stats. That tells me that this game is built on systems that are not even out yet. Heck, the new ATI 3875 X2 did not even score that well in Crysis and rumor has it that niether does the new nVidea 9000 series cards. The bothers me that a game company would put out a game that is to far ahead of the PC field to get good gfx from.

Alright, enough of my complaining!

Luckily, I didnt purchased the the myself, I only tested the version of my best friend.
      The Game only contains nice graphic, but not needed and a worse “90th-years-alien-invasion” story.
      I wish it’s possible to port the Nanosuit to FarCry 🙄
      The system requirements are horrible, although I can play @ very high. The only thing I love is the sunshine through the vegetation (sry, I’m german and I dont know the exact name of the effect…)

greetings
      apo
      :mrgreen:

Arris

Impressive list of games! I added a link to this page at the Games section of the manual. Keep up the good work! 🙂

I’m not sure where to post this, since I’m running x86 Server 2008 Enterprise on a MacBookPro, but I thought I’d post some of my games that work.

Asks for gameux.dll, though it still works:
        -The Matrix: Path of Neo
        -Advent Rising (run in Windows NT4 Compatibility mode, otherwise you get a random crash every so often, and then the game runs at about 4x normal framerate.)

Bioshock works just fine without compability mode – you only need to register the gameux.dll file.Type the following command in run after you put gameux.dll in the system32 folder:

regsvr32 C:WindowsSystem32gameux.dll

With compability mode bioshock doesnt work very well – i cant change the resolution, and if i run fraps the game freezes before the menu show up.Also if i minimize the game i cant restore it back..

Age of Conan – works under 64-bit. Just had to download and install DX9. Get 3-4 FPS less than same system running Vista Ultimate (all other settings and drivers being the same).

Windows 2008 Standard x64 (should be same as Enterprise)
        More Working Games without any tricks:

Jedi Academy
        LinCity ( http://lincity.sourceforge.net/ ) – I thought majority of open source games should run without a hitch.

gameux.dll complainers:
        Lord of The Rings – Battle for Middle Earth II – works! You need the gameux.dll fix + the fix listed in this forum post:
        http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=214338&tstart=15

I heard this works for Battle for Middle Earth I and other games!

Non-working games:
        Neverwinter Nights 2 (CRC copying VO.zip and then a whole bunch of files, which if you ignore all will always end in a critical error – this is in fact identical to the issues I had trying to install it on Windows 2003 x86/32-bit).

EVE Online works flawlessly. It does complain about the gameux.dll missing, but runs nonetheless.
        Performance is very good.

race driver grid works fine and dandy x64

Green Group:
        S.T.A.L.K.E.R. – Clear Sky
        Rainbow Six – Raven Shield
        The Witcher – game isn’t creating start menu folder.
        Euro Truck Simulator – work’s great 🙂

? Group:
        Test Drive Unlimited – There’s install shield issue. At the end I was unable to install it, but if you have old installation files on your HDD it will run smoothly. Install shield issue is only in x64 version. Server 2008 x86 is bug free, and game is installing properly.

Games tested in my Server 2008 x64 workstation.

Future Compatibility tests:
        The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind + Expansions
        The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion + Expansions
        Gothic III
        Gothic II + Expansion
        Hitman – Series
        Euro Truck Simulator
        Medal Of Honour Airborne
        And Every Game I’ll find in my room 🙂

Installed Dimensity, Started game and it crashed (exception code 0xc0000005). Following steps did the trick:

1. Check “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select” box under Data Execution Prevention
        2. Add path to DimensityPl.exe to exception list.

I think, these steps may help out also for other applications which have DEP issues.

Not tested with x86, but probably works.

Found recently that Dimensity has patch v1.2 which also repairs issue, so not need add it into DEP ignore, if patch installed. But workaround may still help out other (not repaired) applications.

A really old but funny game works that I would never expect-Jurassic Park:Trespasser! That game is very funny EA released it as a full version game but it really looks and plays like a rushed beta! The arm Physics are my fav part of the game! You will ROTFLYAO! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Park:_Trespasser

I will also test Sins Of a Solar Empire, City Life, and Cities XL when it comes out. Spore is working really good as well as EVE on my system. I also tested oblivion and works great! I will get to Bioshock soon.

Call of Juarez installed fine for me, WS2008 Ent. 64-bit. I only say this because it’s listed as unable to install.

EDIT: Just got done playing in DX10, works flawlessly.

Call of Juarez works on mine, I didn’t get a script error during the install, I’m using Server 2008 Standard Edition (32 bit)

However I do sometimes get a crash error during the game startup, minor issue.

Spore now refuses to load. Will try re-installing. It crashes.

Works: Far Cry 2
        Works: NBA 2K9
        Works: Fallout 3
        Works: Call of Duty: World at War
        Works: Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
        —-
        Failed to Install: Bully Scholarship Edition – Comes up with an error saying it can only run on Win XP, Server 2003 and Vista.

EDIT: Added some games

Civilization 4
        Enemy Engeged: Comanche vs Hokum (Severe graphics errors, not necessarily OS related)
        Far Cry 2
        FlatOut 2 (shows an error on exit, but runs just fine)
        IL-2 1946
        Sins Of A Solar Empire
        Strike Fighters: Project 1 (might also apply to “Wings Over [Somewhere]”)

Upcoming:

Flight Simulator X

All tested on a G80 8800GTS 640 with Geforce 178.46 drivers.

Just to update things a little more:

Fallout 3
        Sid Meier’s Civilization IV: Colonization
        Left 4 Dead (DEMO)

…more to come.

Battlefield 2 works good.
        Left 4 Dead full version works fine also.

Has anyone tried Grand Theft Auto 4 yet? does it work in Server 2008 64-Bit

OpenArena/tremulous/Q3Arena all work good and anything based off the Quake engines.

Shaun White Snowboarding is working!
        GTA 4 with the dll, too.

@RemixedCat wrote:

OpenArena/tremulous/Q3Arena all work good and anything based off the Quake engines.

Not everything – Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and its addons are crashing before even console launch shows and i couldn’t find any solution for this.

Call of Juarez running pretty fine here, just need the dmusic_patch to make it run.

@RemixedCat wrote:

Yep, and Urban Terror/World of Padman too 😉

Fallout 3 having some crashes (where it needs to close) here on my system.

could it be the ati-bias problem (since I heard f3 was made on ati machines) and has issues on nvidia.

or the os itself?? (detects as server and runs buggy)

or the codec issue that I heard about (having to disable some ffdshow params)

anyone???

Fallout 3 with patch 1.0.0.15 works just fine, no crashes … I Reinstalled it few times, full english version, and polish localization works just great.

Overlord works if you copy the xinput9_1_0.dll into the overlord base directory.

All games installed with gameux from converter tool 1.2

FreeSpace: The Great War / FreeSpace 2 : works
        – Refuses to run with memory requirement error if more than 2GB RAM installed.
        – If more than 2GB RAM run in win98se/me compatibility mode.
        Tribes: Vengence : works
        – Run as admin even if on admin account.
        C&C: Renegade : works
        – Install in XP SP2 compatibility mode.

Colin McRae DiRT : works
        Frontlines: Fuel of War : works
        … more to come …

I tested these Games so far:

Mirrors Edge
        World of Goo
        Rise of the Argonauts
        FEAR 2 Uncut German with Steam Activation

no Problem with these Games.

Works:
        Counter Strike Source
        Prince of Persia (the newest one)
        Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

😎

@Athiril wrote:

Windows 2008 Standard x64 (should be same as Enterprise)
        More Working Games without any tricks:

gameux.dll complainers:
        Lord of The Rings – Battle for Middle Earth II – works! You need the gameux.dll fix + the fix listed in this forum post:
        http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=214338&tstart=15

I heard this works for Battle for Middle Earth I and other games!

the link is dead!! ooooooooh noooooooooo please find a new one!!!

Fallout 3: Didnt create group on start menu. I seem to be getting some stuttering music from the radio in, not sure if this is specific to me however i noticed when alt+tab it sounds just fine so it could be some priority thing, i do have the SystemResponsiveness key and enabled audio acceleration just like the guide. Other than that minor problem it seems to be just fine.

Mass Effect: Works great, on installation it didnt create start menu items but minor problem.

total annihilation natively! without the latest patches even! get the patches to have more units!

I will be testing the “innovative” RTS Stormrise from Creative assembly/Sega shortly. If anyone wants to test it that’s fine. just let us know how it works.

I do hear sega is not a good publisher for optimizations. Sonic The Hedgehog for the 360/ps3 was a good example of it.

let’s just see what happens…..

this is my benchmark from it though: from yougamers…..

Publishers Minimum System
        Show full details.. What is this?
        Processor: Dual Core Processor 2.8Ghz /
        Comparing your CPU AMD Phenom 9550 (running @2210MHz) with the requirement Intel Core 2 Duo (running @2800MHz)
        • Your processor is slightly more powerful in raw performance
        Display Card!: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 /
        ATI Radeon HD 2400
        Comparing your display card NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with the requirement NVIDIA GeForce 8400
        • Your display card is significantly more powerful in raw performance
        • Your display card has all the required features
        Memory: 1024MB
        You have 2048MB
        Free Disk Space: 9GB
        You have 500GB
        Operating System: Windows Vista SP1
        You have Microsoft Windows Vista

Publishers Recommended System
        Show full details.. What is this?
        Processor: Quad Core Processor 2.4Ghz /
        Comparing your CPU AMD Phenom 9550 (running @2210MHz) with the requirement Intel Core 2 Quad (running @2400MHz)
        • Your processor is slightly less powerful in raw performance
        YouGamers recommends following upgrades:
        • Dell XPS 710 H2C
        Display Card!: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Series /
        ATI Radeon HD 4850
        Comparing your display card NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT with the requirement NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS
        • Your display card is about as powerful in raw performance
        • Your display card has all the required features
        Memory: 2048MB
        You have 2048MB
        Free Disk Space: 9GB
        You have 500GB
        Operating System: Windows Vista SP1

seems pretty high would you think this would put crysis requs to shame….. wonder how my FPS is gonna be on this……

please feel free to test it and let me know!

COD5 World at War works a treat on STD edition

OK!

I tried out these games for my kids and they all worked.

SEGAs The Hulk. New game.

The new X-Men Origins Wolverine game from Raven works.

The new Iron Man Game also works.

Thats all I got.

I am happy to announce that the Cities XL Closed beta works on WS2008x64EWS!!!!

I am in the closed beta. I have an NDA for most things (but I do not know the true extent). Please do not ask me about it 🙂

Bah, lucky you!! I need it 😛

Games i have that works: (Not sure if it works without the Gameux.dll though)
        – Arma2
        – Race07
        – GTR Evolution
        – STCC
        – The Sims 3
        – OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe) !!!
        – Call of Juarez Bound in Blood
        – Anno1404

– Company of Heroes (Requires the “Game Explorer” Patch)

Rise of Nations (Gold) Thrones and Patriots does not come up.

I disabled Data Execution Prevention.

The three separate animations run flawlessly at the beginning. Then the screen goes black, the cursor turns into an arrow head, just as expected. After a few seconds the screen flickers, the cursor returns to a white pointer, and the desktop flashes. The screen goes black for a second or two, and then the desktop appears again. I small RON dialog box titled “Exception!” displays this message, “Gathering Exception Data…”

Then Windows says: “Rise of Nations has stopped working” Windows can check online for a solution to the problem. …

Arris

Some time ago I read a paper about SEH overwrites and I finally bumped into this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

It says that in Windows Server SEHOP is enabled by default:

By default, SEHOP is enabled in Windows Server 2008 and disabled in Windows Vista.

and if you look at the known issues it says:

After you enable SEHOP, existing versions of Cygwin, Skype, and Armadillo-protected applications may not work correctly.

As you see it might cause trouble when playing games or using applications while SEHOP is enabled. I haven’t tried it but you can try to disable it and see if more games and applications work with SEHOP disabled. This might also solve some problems with Windows Server 2008 R2 games/applications.

Let us hear if anyone tried it! 🙂

Borderlands-Works great in R1 and R2! be sure you disable all other network adapters besides the one you use the net with like VMware adapters before playing over LAN or internet multiplayer games.

Revenge of the sith, left 4 dead 2, stalker and prototype all work fine in r1 and r2.

Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising works perfectly in Server 2008 x86. No issues with install or .dll files,nothing!

–Works–
          Heroes Of Newerth
          Demigods
          Left For Dead(havent found a steam game that doesnt work)

–Sort of Works–
          Defcon – works with deps disabled and compatability mode
          PlayBoy Mansion – has some graphics issues
          Colin Mcrae Rally 2005 – needs latest patch

–Does Not work–
          Monopoly Tycoon – Error on program execution
          Splinter Cell – Error on program execution
          ManHunt2 – Freezes after opening credits

I cant get Frozen throne to work on x64. x86 it worked fine. on x64 it “cannot find game.dll” NOTE its NOT “cannot find gameux.dll”

Aliens VS Predator(2010 Game)->Works on Server 2008 R1 x64 SP2/R2 x64

Viewing 47 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.