List of Antivirus/Security Applications (x86)

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Applications Compatibility List of Antivirus/Security Applications (x86)

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author

More Antivirus and Security Applications can be found at the Manual – Security Software page!

GREEN – means working fine
      YELLOW – means working, but unstable or only with tricks
      RED – means not working

All Antivirus/Security software tested at Windows Server 2008 x86!

0-9

A
      Aqnitum Outpost Security Suite Pro 2008 – No Known Issues!
      AVG – All server based application work great. AVG Free and Pro will not install on server platforms. That is normal.
      AVG 7.5 Free Edition – Refuses to install.
      Avast 4.7 Home Edition – Refuses to install.
      Avira AntiVir Personal – Refuses to install.

B

C
      ClamWin Open Source AV – No Know Issues!
      Command Antivirus – Works in Windows Server. As of v4.95, however, the installer gives you a false error indicating that a number of processes need to be terminated in order to continue. As far as I can tell the error can be ignored.

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N
      Nod32 Antivirus v3 – Works well, but some outside of these forums have reported it to crash other applications. This is not confirmed by our members. This may an issue all of its own.

O

P
      PC Tools AntiVirus Free Edition v4.0 – Installs on Windows Server 2008 without any issues, but sometimes refuses to update.

Q

R

S
      Sophos Anti-Virus v7.1 – Works perfect; no known Issues!

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

Hello itΒ΄s real that PC Tools AntiVirus Free Edition v4.0 works fine in Windows Server 2008 but it have some issues, for examples some times (not always) when it try to check for updates the system show an error message which continues to be shown until you reset the computer, it’s very unpleasant.

McAfee Total Protection 2008 worked 100% for me. But i’m annoyed, i bought it a while ago and will not renew my license as the newest version doesnt even have a quarantine and just automatically deletes viruses/malware without an option to ask you first. Garbage in the case of false positives, i cant believe they did something like this.

Also, I gave the trial of Kaspersky Internet Security 8 a go – it crashes every now and then. And it really slows my computer down.

Now, I heard that BitDefender is excellent for gamers [has a Gamer Mode] and allows a heck load of advanced customization too, so im downloading the trial right now and gonna give it a run πŸ™‚ plus it’s gotten good to excellent ratings in most articles i’ve read, including the Security Suite roundup in last months issue of APC [probably the biggest/best PC Magazine here in Australia]

NOD32, FYI, has kinda gone downhill. Detection rates for Virus are good, but other Spyware/Malware detection rates are pretty low compared to the ones i’ve said above. Believe it or not, Norton is still the cream of the crop [in regards to Bang for Buck factor, if your PC is a beast and u dont mind mising a few FPS in games hehe]

Ah but im not trying to start a “What is the best AV” argument here hehe – i’m just expressing my personal opinion! If anyone wants to correct me or comment on anything ive said, feel free to πŸ™‚ Peace

@reynier wrote:

Hello itΒ΄s real that PC Tools AntiVirus Free Edition v4.0 works fine in Windows Server 2008 but it have some issues, for examples some times (not always) when it try to check for updates the system show an error message which continues to be shown until you reset the computer, it’s very unpleasant.

That exact same thing happened to me. Still, its pretty damn good for a 100% free Security System – using it and the Threatfire program [same company] is the best security solution for people who dont want to pay I reckon. Never liked AVG [coz a few years ago AVG failed to stop a virus from infecting my entire home network so i just dont want to give it another chance haha]. PC Tools is groovy tho, shame its a little funny in 2K8.

I am using Rising Antivirus Free Edition (freerav.com) – works fine on 32 bit OS. Maybe not best virus detection rates yet but it’s free and I have a firewall with AV scanning as well.

PeerGuardian 2 for Vista installed 100% fine for me on Server 2008 Standard [x86]. But it is Beta, and exhibits some same odd/random things – but every issue i’ve encountered has been reported on those forums and a workaround has been found for most running Vista – assumed to be identical for Server 2008. Apart from those non-critcal annoyances, PG2 seems to run 100% functional and all known bugs are specific to PG2 and not 2008.

Safer and faster BitTorrent/P2P downloads are now possible in Server 2008!

PeerGuardian 2 Homepage:
      http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 crashes my system on start up! I installed it after editing the *.msi.
      Still looking for a good solution…
      BTW KIS 7 worked just fine

Spyware Terminator (2.5.1.028) works just fine here πŸ˜‰

GDATA Antivirus/Internet Security/TotalCare 2010 Beta works fine on x86 (English release in few days πŸ˜€ )

Found an anti virus that works flawlessly on Server 2008, a-squared Anti-Malware 4.5. It is a bit on the resource heavy side but it does what it says on the tin A++++

ESET System Security 4
      ESET NOD32 AntiVirus 4

Both work flawlessly on Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2, as well as Windows 7.

Ok,playing about with an old box that I have installed Server 2008 on. Found out that ZoneAlarm Pro version:9.0.136.000 installs and work very well. When installing it gives you the message something like “not suitable for server OS” ignore that,it installs fine and works perfectly.

Ok,I have found another one for you all.This time it’s an anti-malware program,IObit Security 360.It Install 100% no problem,light on resources.It was using about 90mb when scanning and 15 when idle.

The only thing that does not work is located in the Tools section. When you click on Security Holes it says ” Sorry,only the following versions of Windows is supported so far” and then lists XP to Vista and Vista Sp1/Sp2. Oh,and it’s free by the way!

How did you get NOD32 Antivirus 4 to work on Server 2008 R2?

It won’t install for me, just says that it’s not made for server applications and leaves only the option to click “finish” on the install, which just closes it.

I have a license for it and would love to use it, but I’ve no idea how you tricked it into working with 2008r2.

Arris

@dezmond wrote:

Someone posted a method to get the Home Editions of the Eset products working on Windows Server 2008 [R2]. See this comment at the Windows Server 2008 R2 Security Software Compatibility page for more info.

@dezmond wrote:

It won’t install for me, just says that it’s not made for server applications and leaves only the option to click “finish” on the install, which just closes it.

I have a license for it and would love to use it, but I’ve no idea how you tricked it into working with 2008r2.

I don’t know if the method Arris linked to works, it’s different from how I did it. I posted this a while ago, and will repost here – it’s with the usual Orca tool.

@JonusC wrote:

Solution

Quick background:
        It seems only the older MSI’s use LaunchConditions, it’s getting more common to use CustomActions I’ve noticed – probably to try and prevent people like us from doing exactly this – ha! In this case with the NOD v4.1 Beta MSI, it’s the CA “InstSuppPrepareInstall” which uses InstSupp.dll [inside the MSI] to do somesuch nonsense to, well, prepair the system I guess.

I spent about an hour figuring this one out, and was even trying to hack the InstSupp.dll, but after some random experimentation I found the way to get around it with just Orca.

Under the table “InstallUISequence”, drop the row “InstSuppPrepareInstall”. Thats it!
        [attachment=0:8ljdn14y]NOD4_Fix.jpg[/attachment:8ljdn14y]
        EDIT: Also had to do this as I found it would fail install…
        Under the table “InstallUISequence”, drop the row “InstSuppApplyUIChanges” – it’s the one just above it, as you can see in the screenshot. NOW thats it!

Hope it works for you, it does for me =D Peace!!!

Might be worth someone investigating this further and making more notes/research for the good of the community, I discovered that method largely with trial and error. I’m not running Server OS these days anymore I’m afraid, I hope none of you original win2k8workstation old schoolers don’t miss me too much πŸ˜† but hey, maybe i’ll be back one day? We’ll see πŸ˜‰ Have fun guys…

Arris

@JonusC wrote:

I’m not running Server OS these days anymore I’m afraid, I hope none of you original win2k8workstation old schoolers don’t miss me too much πŸ˜† but hey, maybe i’ll be back one day? We’ll see πŸ˜‰

Nahh, why don’t you just install a Server OS to learn lots of new things and work on the Wish Lists so all features needed will be available in the Server OS?! It’s just fun to play with this stuff! :geek: Anyway, I hope to see you back when Windows Server 2010 (or however they will call it) is released. πŸ˜‰

EDIT: Moved my reply to my “re-introduction thread” over here. πŸ˜‰

F-Prot is pretty solid and likes my server OS. It’s effective at finding any “problems” unlike (Symantec’s) SAV which is pretty useless.

I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 running on Server 2008 πŸ˜€

Dropped three lines from the .msi and bingo! The tricky part for me was getting the .msi :geek:

Ok,it’s not 3 lines,it’s 4 lines! And I can’t believe nobody has done this yet… Kaspersky is updating as I type.

Right,you drop 2 lines from InstallExecuteSequence,1 line from InstallUISequence and 1 line from CustomAction. I dropped the first three,posted that I had it working (slightly premature) then it stopped me again… So i dropped 1 more line and it worked πŸ˜€

Ok,here are the lines you need to drop (just to save you looking)

InstallExecuteSequence / ErrorIncompatibleOSTypeShow / NOT (MsiNTProductType=1 AND VersionNT >=500)

InstallExecuteSequence / ErrorIncompatibleOSShow / VersionNT<500 Or Version9X

InstallUISequence / ErrorIncompatibleOSShow / VersionNT<500 Or Version9X

CustomAction / ErrorIncompatibleOSShow / 19 / This application could not be installed. Current operating system is not supported.

Now,I don’t know if me using the reg hack of denying myself permission has anything to do with it working also? I used this to install Avira,but it was the free edition so it was not that good.

Avast “server edition” does not install in R2.

If anyone is interested… You can get Kaspersky Pure to install in a similar way as Kaspersky 2010.

hackerman1

hi !

a-squared (a2), now renamed to EAM, from Emsisoft works.
            Online Armor-premium works.
            both EAM & OA: normal installation, no problems detected during install / use.

new Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 released 16 December 2010 installs and works on Server 2008 x86/x64 and on R2 too !

Desktop Features dont need to be on. If they are then it will disable Defender like in Vista / 7.

No tricks, no patching
            πŸ˜€

Tested myself with fresh install of 2008 x86 Enterprise SP2 – screenshots :

http://img831.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=unbenannt2hb.jpg

No other features or updates prior installed. Installation is quick, one reboot later it fetches the signatures from the web. Faster and less consuming as version 1.

People running R2 confirmed to me it works there also.

My Kaspersky antivirus is working fine in my PC

Viewing 27 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.