intel gma950 failing

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Hardware Compatibility intel gma950 failing

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,

so I installed win2k8r2 standard, directx and intel gma950 driver from intel’s website and none of the apps (games) requiring 3d rendering seems to work.

Torchlight: exits with a message (torchlight.jpg);
      Oblivion: exits with a message (oblivion1.jpg), does not find suitable video resolutions but does find vga (oblivion2.jpg);
      Diablo 2: works in software mode (windowed) but does not find any suitable renderers (d2.jpg).

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8687/torchlight.jpg
      http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3825/oblivion1.jpg
      http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3046/oblivion2k.jpg
      http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3607/32958943.jpg (d2)

dxdiag shows that there are no suitable direct3d renderer, but dxdiag finds that in 64bit mode.
      dxdiag logs for easier problem identification:
      standard: http://textsnip.com/518010
      64 bit option: http://textsnip.com/f5fd1f

Anonymous

Intel’s offerings for graphics have really never been reliable.

I will ask though:

1. Did you install the DirectX Runtime Redistributable package? Usually installing the complete DirectX runtime package will install or reinstall missing components.

2. Did you check Intel’s site for Server 2008 R2 x64 drivers? Often Intel does have operating specific drivers however recheck the Windows 7 x64 drivers and rerun the installation wizard if necessary. Check Windows Update Catalog as well for Windows 7 x64 compatible drivers also.

3. Do you have the option to upgrade to a PCIe or PCI graphics card? I highly recommend a different graphics card. ATI and Nvidia offer very cost effective solutions, even for servers.

Anonymous

Intel’s offerings for graphics have really never been reliable.

I will ask though:

1. Did you install the DirectX Runtime Redistributable package? Usually installing the complete DirectX runtime package will install or reinstall missing components.

2. Did you check Intel’s site for Server 2008 R2 x64 drivers? Often Intel does have operating specific drivers however recheck the Windows 7 x64 drivers and rerun the installation wizard if necessary. Check Windows Update Catalog as well for Windows 7 x64 compatible drivers also.

3. Do you have the option to upgrade to a PCIe or PCI graphics card? I highly recommend a different graphics card. ATI and Nvidia offer very cost effective solutions, even for servers.

1. yes i did
          2. they do not have it, i tried using vista 64 bit drivers but they show the screen i put in my separate post, installing win7 64 bit drivers fixed that problem but games still show errors specified in my first post
          3. it is possible though i do not like this.. cheapest i can get is ~$30 (it’s a lot here). i’ll ask if work can buy me one

i contacted intel’s support but i doubt they will do anything about it

Anonymous

1. yes i did
            2. they do not have it, i tried using vista 64 bit drivers but they show the screen i put in my separate post, installing win7 64 bit drivers fixed that problem but games still show errors specified in my first post
            3. it is possible though i do not like this.. cheapest i can get is ~$30 (it’s a lot here). i’ll ask if work can buy me one

i contacted intel’s support but i doubt they will do anything about it

I have had some mad glitches in WoW on my old intel GMA. I would also have glitches sometimes on the desktop. I used vista sp1 on that and the aero would have tons of black specks around the buttons and the address bar. These cards are not meant for gaming at all.

Anonymous

I have had some mad glitches in WoW on my old intel GMA. I would also have glitches sometimes on the desktop. I used vista sp1 on that and the aero would have tons of black specks around the buttons and the address bar. These cards are not meant for gaming at all.

my gma was okay for all games on xp, even wow 🙂

support answer:
              “Windows* Server 2008 is not a supported operating system for your graphics controller. Intel does not currently plan to develop and offer Windows* Server 2008 drivers for your graphics controller.”

well.. my work won’t buy me new vga so probably i will move to windows 7

Anonymous

my gma was okay for all games on xp, even wow 🙂

support answer:
                “Windows* Server 2008 is not a supported operating system for your graphics controller. Intel does not currently plan to develop and offer Windows* Server 2008 drivers for your graphics controller.”

well.. my work won’t buy me new vga so probably i will move to windows 7

There is a possibility you could try using a utility such as EnTech’s PowerStrip to regain control of your graphics card, but again it’s not cheap for the full version (unless you use the free one or “dare I say it” a cracked version *which I do not support nor endorse*) so IMO I’d try to invest in a very low end GeForce 6000 or 7000 series which is still probably better than the GMA950. Most of them on Pricewatch are even under 25 dollars.

Check out stores also like Office Depot, Office MAX, etc. that have support stations. Ask the techs sometime if they have any working graphics cards that you could buy off them for cheap.

Although I wouldn’t recommend it you could try the trick used to install various Security Software by disabling the AdminUser’s (You) ability to access that Registry Key but enabling it for everyone else.

It MIGHT be the Installer for the game and graphics card utility is seeing only that registry key as ServerNT and not a WinNT. That would mean everything actually installed correctly, but can’t see what version of Windows you are using correctly due to that key entry.

Before you revert I’d recommend testing that out by disabling (Deny Privilege) that key in the registry, reinstalling the graphics card software, and then reinstalling your game.

If that doesn’t help then you might have to revert to Windows 7.

1.) Start –> Run –> Regedit
                2.) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE –> SYSTEM –> CurrentControlset –> Control
                3.) Now change the permissions of the folder “ProductOptions” –> add your user account (for example ComputernameUsername) and deny “yourself” the read rights for the whole folder. Be careful not to deny the whole rights for all administrators or something like that (I tried that first cause of a black out and it leads to windows not being able to boot). Be sure to add the Everyone and the Administrator groups to this entry with Read and Full Control rights.
                4.) Reinstall any software that failed to operate correctly.

Basically this will allow the software to avoid seeing ServerNT as the operating system ID, but instead will detect only the OS version number “NT 6.1.7600” which will assume its a version of Windows later than Windows 2000, XP, etc. and operate as normal.

Anonymous

There is a possibility you could try using a utility such as EnTech’s PowerStrip to regain control of your graphics card, but again it’s not cheap for the full version (unless you use the free one or “dare I say it” a cracked version *which I do not support nor endorse*) so IMO I’d try to invest in a very low end GeForce 6000 or 7000 series which is still probably better than the GMA950. Most of them on Pricewatch are even under 25 dollars.

Check out stores also like Office Depot, Office MAX, etc. that have support stations. Ask the techs sometime if they have any working graphics cards that you could buy off them for cheap.

Although I wouldn’t recommend it you could try the trick used to install various Security Software by disabling the AdminUser’s (You) ability to access that Registry Key but enabling it for everyone else.

It MIGHT be the Installer for the game and graphics card utility is seeing only that registry key as ServerNT and not a WinNT. That would mean everything actually installed correctly, but can’t see what version of Windows you are using correctly due to that key entry.

Before you revert I’d recommend testing that out by disabling (Deny Privilege) that key in the registry, reinstalling the graphics card software, and then reinstalling your game.

If that doesn’t help then you might have to revert to Windows 7.

1.) Start –> Run –> Regedit
                  2.) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE –> SYSTEM –> CurrentControlset –> Control
                  3.) Now change the permissions of the folder “ProductOptions” –> add your user account (for example ComputernameUsername) and deny “yourself” the read rights for the whole folder. Be careful not to deny the whole rights for all administrators or something like that (I tried that first cause of a black out and it leads to windows not being able to boot). Be sure to add the Everyone and the Administrator groups to this entry with Read and Full Control rights.
                  4.) Reinstall any software that failed to operate correctly.

Basically this will allow the software to avoid seeing ServerNT as the operating system ID, but instead will detect only the OS version number “NT 6.1.7600” which will assume its a version of Windows later than Windows 2000, XP, etc. and operate as normal.

Viewing 12 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.