Installing I64 Version of Server 2008

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Miscellaneous Installing I64 Version of Server 2008

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

The I64 version of 2008 does not self-boot on its own. (it’s not a bootable DVD once imaged). I am running WinXP Pro 32 bit but have free partitioned space to dual boot Server 2008 I64. It won’t install within windows (says not a valid win32 op)… so my question is, how do I install it?

I have tried re-imaging with VLite… no luck…

Any suggestions?

Arris

Are you sure you have Itanium based hardware? If you are a home user you probably need a Windows Server 2008 x86 (32bit) or if your processors supports it Windows Server 2008 x64 (64bit). If you are unsure, download and install a Windows Server 2008 x86 version from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc137123.aspx.

Good luck! If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask them! 😉

Well, I noticed there was a AMD 64 and an I 64 verion of Windows 2008, when I install the AMD version it locks up when loading the setup screen so I tried the other one… I believe my processor supports 64 bits… here is the info: Is there a better 64 bit trial version than the one I am using?

Model
        Brand Intel
        Processors Type Desktop
        Series Core 2 Duo
        Model BX80557E6400
        CPU Socket Type
        CPU Socket Type LGA 775
        Tech Spec
        Core Conroe
        Multi-Core Dual-Core
        Name Core 2 Duo E6400
        Operating Frequency 2.13GHz
        FSB 1066MHz
        L2 Cache 2M shared
        Manufacturing Tech 65 nm
        64 bit Support Yes
        Hyper-Threading Support No
        Virtualization Technology Support Yes
        Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3,SSSE3, EM64T
        Voltage 0.85V – 1.5V
        Thermal Power 65W
        Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan included
        Manufacturer Warranty
        Parts 3 years limited
        Labor 3 years limited

Arris

According to your system configuration you can use Windows Server 2008 x64. The latest version is 6001.18000.080118-1840_amd64fre_Server_en-us-KRMSXFRE_EN_DVD.iso and you can download it from here.

It is possible that the installation “hangs” for a few minutes, however if after 10 minutes it is still not responding, something went wrong… In that case search the Microsoft Technet Setup Deployment forums to find more information about your problem. If no similar problems are posted you can add a new post with your problem and the Microsoft Technet professionals will help you out! 🙂

Looks like I had a bad burn of the amd64 iso… I re-burned, and it installs fine… Thanks! And after looking at the Itanium processors… I am SURE I don’t have one…!! 😉

Arris

Hehe :mrgreen: Nice job getting it working! 🙂

Ok, now the next step:

Does anyone know a free real time virus scan software that will work with win server 2008 64bit?

Thanks!

Arris

Haven’t you noticed this list? In this list there are several free antivirus tools like PC Tools AntiVirus and ClamWin, so make your choice! 😉

Yeah, saw the list… most seem to either not support the server version (may support 64 bit but not in server) or are only free TRIAL… I have d/l’ed clamwin for now… we’ll see how that works.

Thanks.

Viewing 8 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.