IDE drives…

Forums General General Discussion IDE drives…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I know they’re old – but I recently had the opportunity to get an IDE Seagate Barracude HD for £15 (160gb) – seeing as I needed some extra space, and I am a student, I thought, that sounds like a decent deal.

I haven’t installed it yet, haven’t had the time – but I’m wondering, will it be really slow? Its still 7200rpm, like my current SATA drive.

My plan is to put Windows 7 Beta on it so I can play around with it properly – but if its going to be slow I’ll partition my existing drive again and just use that for documents/installing programs.

What do you guys think?

I have a 320GB SATAII harddrive as my main one, and I also have a 160GB IDE drive for storage.

When i get around to finish downloading the Public Beta of Windows 7, I will be installing it on the 160GB IDE.

It will be fine. It will take a little longer to load Windows (compared to a SATA), but that’s it – so as long as you don’t mind that, go for it! Anything less than 160GB IDE drive though, and you might notice its slow (especially a 40GB) because the bigger a harddrive is, the faster it is, believe it or not!

Example – using a 320GB IDE drive might even be faster than a really old 80GB SATA1 (i remember my friend got a SATA drive when they first came out, it was NOT faster than his old one haha).

I have a 320GB SATAII harddrive as my main one, and I also have a 160GB IDE drive for storage.

When i get around to finish downloading the Public Beta of Windows 7, I will be installing it on the 160GB IDE.

It will be fine. It will take a little longer to load Windows (compared to a SATA), but that’s it – so as long as you don’t mind that, go for it! Anything less than 160GB IDE drive though, and you might notice its slow (especially a 40GB) because the bigger a harddrive is, the faster it is, believe it or not!

Example – using a 320GB IDE drive might even be faster than a really old 80GB SATA1 (i remember my friend got a SATA drive when they first came out, it was NOT faster than his old one haha).

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.