How to move from Win7 in 2008 R2- Who knows?

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous How to move from Win7 in 2008 R2- Who knows?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Hi all
      Please help me
      I work on Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      I need to work on Server 2008 R2 Ent (At me it is a lot of courses on Hyper -V)
      It is possible to transfer a my user profile from 7 in 2008 r2. Unfortunately migwiz does not work
      Who knows as migrate profile? step-by-step

In this post I used English words more than I know 🙂

u could install it clean without formatting

and all ur profile stuff will be in dir

c:Windows.oldusersdesktop or doc etc…

Anonymous

@aviv00 wrote:

I have second partition with installed 2008 R2 Entr
        1) Creat in 2008 new user with same name as in win7(Administrator priv.) – logon-logout
        2) Copy profile from win7 D:Users*.* in C:Users
        3) In 2008 Control PanelAll Control Panel ItemsSystem -> Advanced… -> User Profiles-Settings, select
        Copy butom is not actived 🙁
        4) Logout from Administrator and try login as Name. Proces os login and logoff immediately

May be profile from Win7 not may work in 2008? But Arris say “For now the only option is to move your files and settings manually…”( referenceabove )

Anonymous

@aviv00 wrote:

I have second partition with installed 2008 R2 Entr
          1) Creat in 2008 new user with same name as in win7(Administrator priv.) – logon-logout
          2) Copy profile from win7 D:Users*.* in C:Users
          3) In 2008 Control PanelAll Control Panel ItemsSystem -> Advanced… -> User Profiles-Settings, select
          Copy butom is not actived 🙁
          4) Logout from Administrator and try login as Name. Proces os login and logoff immediately

May be profile from Win7 not may work in 2008? But Arris say “For now the only option is to move your files and settings manually…”( referenceabove )

From what I have gathered you can use the User State Migration Tool built into the Windows AIK kit for migrating your user profile from Windows 7 to R2.

You have to first download the WAIK for Windows 7 kit (1.7GB download) on the Windows 7 machine.

Next you want to use a hard-link migration so you can transfer your settings to source partition.

I haven’t used it yet so I cannot give you the syntax. I am going to install Windows 7 in a dual boot and try it out so I can give you the exact syntax to use. From what I have learned so far the syntax will look something like this

scanstate D:mystore /hardlink

Then once you have created the hard links you must install the WAIK kit on the Server 2008 R2 machine and run this syntax:

loadstate C:mystore /hardlink

The profile should be remapped automatically to your server machine hopefully.

Don’t hold me to the exact accurateness of these commands I’ve never ran this tool before.
          I am going to dual boot Windows 7 ultimate on my machine right now and create a user account called Win7Admin and then try to use the USMT tool to create a hard link and then boot into server 2008 r2 and see if i can load the user profile using this tool. I’ll report back with a detailed tutorial IF i can get it to work.

Anonymous

From what I have gathered you can use the User State Migration Tool built into the Windows AIK kit for migrating your user profile from Windows 7 to R2.

You have to first download the WAIK for Windows 7 kit (1.7GB download) on the Windows 7 machine.

Next you want to use a hard-link migration so you can transfer your settings to source partition.

I haven’t used it yet so I cannot give you the syntax. I am going to install Windows 7 in a dual boot and try it out so I can give you the exact syntax to use. From what I have learned so far the syntax will look something like this

scanstate D:mystore /hardlink

Then once you have created the hard links you must install the WAIK kit on the Server 2008 R2 machine and run this syntax:

loadstate C:mystore /hardlink

The profile should be remapped automatically to your server machine hopefully.

Don’t hold me to the exact accurateness of these commands I’ve never ran this tool before.
            I am going to dual boot Windows 7 ultimate on my machine right now and create a user account called Win7Admin and then try to use the USMT tool to create a hard link and then boot into server 2008 r2 and see if i can load the user profile using this tool. I’ll report back with a detailed tutorial IF i can get it to work.

Well scrap that idea USMT isn’t supported in Windows Server versions.

Anonymous

Well scrap that idea USMT isn’t supported in Windows Server versions.

If you plan to keep the dual boot enviornment on your machine you could always create a symbolic link to the Windows 7 user folder, provided you have privileges.

For example you can create a symbolic link at the root of the drive

mklink /d C:Windows7UserFiles D:Users%username%

This way you don’t have to waste time making duplicate copies of the same file you can just open the shortcut path to the username folder in one click.

Instead of having to navigate through the whole computer

Computer > Local Disk D: > Users > Username > “Folders”

you can just click symbolic link and its the same as clicking Start > Username in Windows

This won’t transfer your personalized settings (start menu tweaks, themes, desktop settings, etc etc but really if you think about it how long would it take to set that up? Not very long.

Anonymous

If you plan to keep the dual boot enviornment on your machine you could always create a symbolic link to the Windows 7 user folder, provided you have privileges.

For example you can create a symbolic link at the root of the drive

mklink /d C:Windows7UserFiles D:Users%username%

This way you don’t have to waste time making duplicate copies of the same file you can just open the shortcut path to the username folder in one click.

Instead of having to navigate through the whole computer

Computer > Local Disk D: > Users > Username > “Folders”

you can just click symbolic link and its the same as clicking Start > Username in Windows

This won’t transfer your personalized settings (start menu tweaks, themes, desktop settings, etc etc but really if you think about it how long would it take to set that up? Not very long.

Viewing 10 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.