how to install Media Player without enabling Desktop Experie

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Miscellaneous how to install Media Player without enabling Desktop Experie

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hello-

I would like to install/use Windows Media Player without having to enable the Desktop Experience option. Does anyone know a way, which files to manipulate in order to accomplish this??? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

MoMo 😛

1. Download the attachment (windows_features.zip) below.

2. Extract it contents. Inside you will see SYSTEM32 folder. Browse to it.

3. Copy OptionalFeatures.exe to C:WindowsSystem32.

4. Copy OptionalFeatures.exe.mui to C:WindowsSystem32EN-US

5. Click Start > Run… Type in following command:

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL appwiz.cpl,,2

6. Expand Media Features and then check Windows Media Player to install it.

Thanks to Arris for the fix and Asciiwolf for the required files.

Hmmmm…..I got a compatibility error??? I’m using 32bit is the info you provided for the 64bit platform?

@momotay78 wrote:

Hmmmm…..I got a compatibility error??? I’m using 32bit is the info you provided for the 64bit platform?

Your question belongs in the Windows Server 2008 portion of the forums. Server 2008 R2 is a 64-bit only platform. You have 32-bit server 2008 like myself. I took the OptionalFeatures.exe file from Vista 32-bit installation doesn’t appear that you can do it the same way you could in R2. Sorry to say.

Apparently there is no more media subcategory for this list. Any ideas?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.