Hey, new guy here.

Forums General Introduction Hey, new guy here.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hey, as part of Microsoft’s DreamSpark program for students, I recently got a free license for Windows Server 2008. I also happen to have just gotten another 2GBs of RAM for my rig which would bump me up to 4GBs – so I guess I ought to try a 64 bit OS to take advantage of that. Here’s my current specs:
      Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 3.2GHz (1.35v)
      2GB (soon to be 4GB) Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 @ 400MHz (2.1v)
      BFG 8800 GT OC 512MB @ 675/1950/1691
      Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
      300GB Maxtor SATA in AHCI mode (Mac OS X 10.5.2)
      500GB Samsung SpinPoint SATA in IDE mode (XP Home SP3 32 bit)

Any suggestions for me? I think I’ll be downloading that Converter program and flipping through the guide a bit more. How much do themes and Aero slow down the system? I wouldn’t mind a little visual flare, but if means lower game performance or a noticeably less responsive UI, forget it.

Hi! I am running S08x64 with no problems on my system!

My System:
      Quad Core AMD Phenom @ 2.20Ghzx4
      2048MB DDR RAM Dual Channel
      GF8800GT1GB
      500GB SATA HD
      DVD+/-DL LightScribe Burner
      Creative Audigy2 Sound

I hope you like it it is alot better then vista ever was. I do have the aero effects on without any slowdowns. Looks great too!

Post your screenshot if you can when you are done! LOlz

@RemixedCat wrote:

I do have the aero effects on without any slowdowns. Looks great too!

Aero FTW. Unlike Windows XP, Aero and the DWM Service uses the power of your GPU to provide hardware acceleration to the user interface. Windows XP uses GDI+ – it is software rendered and will saturate your CPU 🙂

If Aero slows your computer down, your graphics card isn’t fast enough 😀 But even so, I have a 7300GT [haha] and using Aero provides a much nicer looking interface – and when I am doing something CPU intensive [eg DVD video encoding] the CPU usage is generally LOWER when Aero is in use because the CPU is doing less UI rendering than when Aero is off, coz the GPU is helping it along 🙂

Of course its tricky to benchmark such performance in a controlled environment! There are many articles on the web though that talk about what i’ve said, most from Microsoft and reputable sites.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.