Hello from MiddleEarth

Forums General Introduction Hello from MiddleEarth

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hi, my name is Shane and I am from New Zealand, you know, that tiny little country at the bottom of the globe. Anyway, I am a full-time student and have been using computers since the days of Windows 3.11 and DOS 6.2, and when 4MB of RAM cost more that a hundred bucks, New Zealand dollars of course.

I used Server 2008 x64 as a workstation for some time. When having to do a fresh install, in order to make allowances for a dual boot to run an earlier os for audio recording purposes, I found it easier at the time to simply reinstall the original Vista that came with the computer. However, when Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 is offered through the Dreamspark programme, I will once again be using Server 2008 as a workstation.

When using Server 2008 I found its performance phenomenal. Using an Intel Quad Core CPU with 5GB RAM, and all the Vista eye-candy and extras enabled, it seemed faster and much more responsive than Vista. Apart from a few minor software incompatibilities, mostly with trying to install client based software on a server operating system, the overall experience was a real pleasure. I am really looking forward to the R2 of Server 2008.

I wish you all well and hope you all enjoy Server 2008 as a workstation as much as I did, and will be again.

Shane. 😀

awesome! welcome to the site!

Anonymous

awesome! welcome to the site!

Arris

Nice intro and welcome to the forum! You should really install the R2 as soon as it is available at DreamSpark, it works perfect! 🙂

Anonymous

Nice intro and welcome to the forum! You should really install the R2 as soon as it is available at DreamSpark, it works perfect! 🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.