Get Games Explorer Working on Server 2008

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Games Compatibility Get Games Explorer Working on Server 2008

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

After a good bit of fiddling I was able to get the Games Explorer (Vista Feature) working in 2008. It’s not simple, but it works so far. 😉

[EDIT] Spoke to soon. The icons get added, but clicking them doesn’t launch the game. Still looking, but it’s a start. It appears the underlying problem is getting the shell extension to load correctly. I’ve fiddled and haven’t had any luck. Anyone out there know any tricks in that area? If someone has the 64 bit version of Vista running and could do a few checks please message me.[/EDIT]

Step 1: Follow in instructions to register gameux.dll for your flavor (x32/64) of Windows Server 2k8. After that the instructions are the same for either flavor.

Step 2: Files
      You’ll also need the following files from Windows Vista.

• WindowsSystem32cero.rs
      • WindowsSystem32esrb.rs
      • WindowsSystem32grb.rs
      • WindowsSystem32oflc.rs
      • WindowsSystem32pegi.rs
      • WindowsSystem32pegibbfc.rs
      • WindowsSystem32pegi-fi.rs
      • WindowsSystem32pegi-pt.rs
      • WindowsSystem32usk.rs
      • WindowsSystem32WEB.rs
      • WindowsSystem32gameux.dll.mui
      • WindowsSystem32gameUXLegacyGDFs.dll
      • WindowsSystem32gameuxmig.dll

Copy the files to your WindowsSystem32 directory.

Step 3: Create Primary Registry Entries
      NOTE: Permissions are VERY important!!

• Create the Key HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionGameUX
      • Create the Key HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionGameUXGames
      • Set the Owner of GameUX to SYSTEM. Be sure to check the box for “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects”
      • Find your User profile id (under HKey_Users. Will look something like S-1-5-21-4022535908-839810499-3680718553-1012)
      • Create the key HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionGameUXS-1-5-21-4022535908-839810499-3680718553-1012 (using your profile id)
      • Set the Owner to SYSTEM
      • Uncheck the box for “Include Inheritable permissions from this object’s parent”.
      • On the popup, click “Remove”
      • Add the following permissions: Administrators (full control), Your User (full control) Be sure to check the box for “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” before applying.

To test, try installing something that is windows Vista Aware (The Spore Creature Creator Demo works). When you open the Games menu from the Start Menu (you can add it in the start menu config) or type “Games” in the address bar of Explorer, you should see the SCC icon. You can also drag game shortcuts into the Games folder.

I haven’t tried to get the Vista games (solitaire etc..) to work after making these changes, but that will be next. Enjoy.

Thats great! 🙂
      I can get the games explorer working by just registering gameux.dll and typing Games in windows explorer, but as you mentioned the games cannot be started, probably due to missing registry entries.I think the best way to resolve this is to monitor the games explorer on vista and server 2008 using process monitor and see whats wrong.

Can you make a zip file w/ those files in it? My only Vista system (Vista Enterprise) doesn’t seem to have those files.

Does it have the games explorer?

Hi,

First I have tried nixx42’s tutorial and as he said Game Explorer shows up but it is not functioning. After that I have searched Vista x86 setup image for Game Explorer files and found some more files in Windows directory. Copied all files to the Server 2008s Windows directory and restarted the Windows and voila! It’s alive 🙂 I have attached required files.

1. Follow nixx42’s tutorial
      2. Change winsxs folders owner and gain write rights for there
      3. Extract archive to the Windows directory
      4. Restart (and cross your fingers :))

If everything goes ok you should be able to use Games Explorer 😉

[attachment=0:s8iqr955]ws2008gefiles.rar[/attachment:s8iqr955]

Can someone upload files for x64?

@IgorHW wrote:

Can someone upload files for x64?

I would also like to get those files! 😀

May someone explain how to create HKLMSOFTWARE………… in detail. Thanks much. I don’t know where to start.

@Tanaka wrote:

May someone explain how to create HKLMSOFTWARE………… in detail. Thanks much. I don’t know where to start.

Start>Run>type “regedit”>find keys HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion
      HKLM = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

@IgorHW wrote:

@Tanaka wrote:

Start>Run>type “regedit”>find keys HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion
      HKLM = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Thanks much. I still confuse how to set owner to system. Thanks again

I have managed to take the corrisponding files from Vista x64 and applied them to Server 2008 x64 and all is working perfectly, just need to find out how to install the Vista games, I took these games from the vista x64 and placed them in the same directory on server 2008, now it asks me for a Xinput file, which I also took from Vista, when inserted in Server 2008 the games will not load.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.