"gameux.dll" automatic installer for Windows Server 2008

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Games Compatibility "gameux.dll" automatic installer for Windows Server 2008

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Microsoft Windows Game Explorer for Windows Server 2008 (x86 & x64).

Simply run “gameux_patch.exe” and it will automatically install “gameux.dll” into your System32 (and SysWow64 for x64) and you’ll be able to play your games in Windows Server 2008 which require this file in order to run.

This program installs “gameux.dll” version “6.0.6001.18000” from windows Vista.

*NOTE: This program will ONLY install “gameux.dll” and DOES NOT enable the use of Microsoft Windows Game Explorer (Perhaps that’ll come soon ;)).

Some games that require this file are:
      Age of empires II
      Bioshock
      Everquest 2
      Grand Theft Auto – San Andreas
      Need For Speed Carbon
      Oblivion
      Rainbow Six Vegas
      StarCraft: BroodWar
      Unreal Tournament 2004
      Warcraft III – The Frozen Throne
      And typically any other game that gives the error “Error loading ..gameux.dll” or “Could not find ..gameux.dll”

CommandLine Switches:
      /s” – Silent Installation.

Credits:
      Original fix by http://www.win2008workstation.com for more info see http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpress/2008/03/29/missing-gameuxdll/
      Automatic installer: sYk0.

Enjoy,
      sYk0.

Thanks for this. 🙂
      @sYk0 wrote:

*NOTE: This program will ONLY install “gameux.dll” and DOES NOT enable the use of Microsoft Windows Game Explorer (Perhaps that’ll come soon ;)).

Ohh, now you’ve got me excited, been using WS2008 x64 and my only gripe is not having the Game Explorer. 😛

Arris

Nice work again sYk0! 🙂 An installer for this one was missing too! (however it is also possible to use the Windows 2008 Workstation Converter by sawo to do this.) Added an url to this topic to the Missing gameux.dll page.

About the Game Explorer: someone already got it working, see the thread Get Games Explorer Working on Server 2008, but I still have to test it and create a tutorial for it in the Manual. :geek:

@Arris wrote:

About the Game Explorer: someone already got it working, see the thread Get Games Explorer Working on Server 2008, but I still have to test it and create a tutorial for it in the Manual. :geek:

I read that exact article this morning :D, I’m currently working on an automated installer for the “Windows Game Explorer”, might make your work in the manual a little easier… 😉

PS: I have just finished making an automated installer for “Windows Movie Maker” for both x86 and x64 flavours (I’ll upload it soon), weighing in at just less that 74MB (for both).
        I’m also working on a light weight installer (around 200KB) which will install the needed files from a Vista Installation CD, if you have the CD (or setup files on your drive) and don’t want to download 74MB.

I would have done all of this (automated installers) a lot sooner but I only recently moved from Vista x64 to Server 2006 x64, just trying to make everyone’s lives a little simpler.

Just done some testing (under x64 enviroment), seems I have “Windows Game Explorer” working, still more testing to be done though don’t want to give you dodgey programs ;)…
        It’s even adding games automatically (when NOT started from the “Game Explorer”, for example StarCraft, F.E.A.R, Quake 3, Quake 4 to name a few)… Drag and Drop into to the “Game Explorer” is also working.

Sounds like it’s really coming together quite nicely! 😀

what is the big deal with games explorer? all my games work fine without it

if you get the Games Explorer couldn’t be found error, just set them to windows XP compatibility mode.

@Nite wrote:

if you get the Games Explorer couldn’t be found error, just set them to windows XP compatibility mode.

I prefer it to putting all the game icons on my desktop.

@Nite wrote:

I’m not totally crazy about it but it does serve its purpose, apart from having a messy desktop without it, some of the newer games (notably from Electronic Arts and Ubisoft) only add a shortcut/link for the game in the “Games Explorer” when installed (for example FIFA 09, Far Cry 2, Dead Space and some others).

just use Steam to handle the game short cuts, its what I use 😉 no messy desktop or start menu

Open Steam and click on Add Non Steam Game button, and browse to the EXE location of the game to add it

Thanks syko. Could not get it to work manually but with your install it worked fine

I just finished following this thread and got spore’s trial working.

I would like to add a few discoveries I made along the way.

1) its not necessary to modify the registry before installing the files from the second gentleman (forgot your name, sorry, post isn’t in front of me).

2) its easier to use the windows workstation converter in another thread to add the gameux.dll and basics.

3) to verify that you don’t need to add anything to the ‘games’ regkey just drop a link into the open games explorer, if its an older game it will add an entry under GameUX that has your uuid. If you install Spore Creature after unraring the files you will all have a Games key and tree made automatically.

I haven’t tested this extensively but thought I would add to the pool of information.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.