Gameperformance Win 08

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Games Compatibility Gameperformance Win 08

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #46876

      1)
      how much is the difference?

      2)
      this wont help you, but in 3dMark05 my scores are the same as in XP 32bit…

    • #46877

      I’ve got windows Vista Ultimate and windows server 2008 enterprise dual booting on my system … my 2dMark06 scores are actually much better in server 2008 than Vista ( 20% or so )

      I’ve found that makeing sure all drivers are up to date has in-fact help win server 2008’s performance. I personally used and recomment a littl program called “Driver Detective” < small fee > and have used it on Vista desktop/win2008 and my laptop < vista also > with great results

      @impostor wrote:

      1)
      how much is the difference?

      2)
      this wont help you, but in 3dMark05 my scores are the same as in XP 32bit…

    • #46878

      If you want a free version of a driver scanner, try RadarSync (google it). Free and just as effective as driver detective =P

    • #46879

      @smurfdaddy wrote:

      I’ve got windows Vista Ultimate and windows server 2008 enterprise dual booting on my system … my 2dMark06 scores are actually much better in server 2008 than Vista ( 20% or so )

      I’ve found that makeing sure all drivers are up to date has in-fact help win server 2008’s performance. I personally used and recomment a littl program called “Driver Detective” < small fee > and have used it on Vista desktop/win2008 and my laptop < vista also > with great results

      @impostor wrote:

      1)
      how much is the difference?

      2)
      this wont help you, but in 3dMark05 my scores are the same as in XP 32bit…

      so vista and server are the same now with the drivers updates ?

    • #46880

      @aviv00 wrote:

      so vista and server are the same now with the drivers updates ?

      Technically, every single driver that works on Vista will work on 2008 as they are both Windows NT 6 with some tiny changes, but the HAL [Hardware Abstraction Layer] is identical.

      The only exception to this is when some drivers, eg cheap WIRELESS cards, have their own custom EXE’s or executable DLL’s for “custom properties pages” or config screens, whatever, which are badly coded!

      But things like the Intel Chipset Drivers, nVidia Forceware, Logitech SetPoint, all work in server 2008 the same as Vista for me ๐Ÿ™‚

      And yeah, 2008 is in fact a lot faster than Vista for me, and only slightly slower than XP depending on the game [probably because I only have 1GB of RAM and Windows6 naturally eats more RAM than Windows5] ๐Ÿ™‚

    • #46881

      I was impressed with the performance of server 2008 in the beginning. However, when I tried to play Far Cry (all the latest drivers/patches installed) the performance was really bad. The game was literally unplayable on the medium settings. I don’t have a high end PC, but the game runs just fine in Vista and even better in XP.

      Just sharing my experience.

      P.S. I was too scared to try something like crysis ๐Ÿ™‚

    • #46882

      windows server 2008 enterprise

      If I had to guess, I would say that enterprise is your problem. I bet it adds more overhead you dont need. Also, if you are using a bootleg iso, then who knows if someone has added in some spyware or what they did to hack the activation. It could be a fucked up driver too.

      Crysis runs the same speed for me in xp32 and server 2008 32.

    • #46883

      I am running enterprise ๐Ÿ˜

      All i can say is to make sure your system is fully configured/converted. Update to the latest DirectX [June 2008 i believe], make sure priority is given to FOREGROUND applications and not background services, umm… and for low end systems disable the Windows Sidebar, try killing everything in Task Manager which can be killed, inlcuding explorer.exe, then do “New Task” from TaskManager and try running Far Cry like that just to see if it still does it…

      There are many people who seem to have a hard time getting good performance out of Server 2008. No idea why. If someone was willing to install UltraVNC maybe I could dialin and check it out just to find out, but who really would trust me with that HAHA!

    • #46884

      @JonusC wrote:

      I am running enterprise ๐Ÿ˜

      All i can say is to make sure your system is fully configured/converted. Update to the latest DirectX [June 2008 i believe], make sure priority is given to FOREGROUND applications and not background services, umm… and for low end systems disable the Windows Sidebar, try killing everything in Task Manager which can be killed, inlcuding explorer.exe, then do “New Task” from TaskManager and try running Far Cry like that just to see if it still does it…

      There are many people who seem to have a hard time getting good performance out of Server 2008. No idea why. If someone was willing to install UltraVNC maybe I could dialin and check it out just to find out, but who really would trust me with that HAHA!

      Hey, thanks for the reply. I figured it out – I had Hyper-V installed (it wasn’t even running!) and it slowed down the graphics performance. Once I removed it, Far Cry was running great.

      Thanks.

    • #46885

      No worries ๐Ÿ™‚ Seems that tjdg has just adandoned the thread, probably fixed it and forgot he made this thread.

    • #43262

      Hi @ all!

      I installed Server Standard 2008 and Convert it with Sawoยดs tool.

      Trying Battlefield 2 and some other games and i notice an FPS drop comparing to vista.

      Drivers are new and the same as i used in vista.

      Is there any “game performance” tweak or something?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.