Display Control Panel

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I have been trying to open the control panel for almost an hour. Every time I get

Your system administrator has disabled launching of the Display Control Panel

I’ve tried every reg hack (NoDispCPL) and group policy tip I can find on the internet, and nothing is working so far.

This is on a clean install, just downloaded last night from Dreamspark.

Arris

Maybe you can find out using Sysinternals Process Monitor which registry keys are checked (for example the NoControlPanel DWORD in [HKLM|HKCU]SoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPolicies) before you get the error-message. You might add the filter: Process Name | Equals | explorer.exe | then Include, and also only enable registry monitoring to keep the log a bit readable. Start the logging just before you click the Control Panel item in the start menu and stop it after you got the error message.

Good luck! 🙂

Arris

Anonymous

Maybe you can find out using Sysinternals Process Monitor which registry keys are checked (for example the NoControlPanel DWORD in [HKLM|HKCU]SoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPolicies) before you get the error-message. You might add the filter: Process Name | Equals | explorer.exe | then Include, and also only enable registry monitoring to keep the log a bit readable. Start the logging just before you click the Control Panel item in the start menu and stop it after you got the error message.

Good luck! 🙂

Arris

That’s a pretty cool app there. I use process explorer from technet almost every day, but never looked at process monitor. I’ll give it a shot in the morning. Thanks.

Anonymous

That’s a pretty cool app there. I use process explorer from technet almost every day, but never looked at process monitor. I’ll give it a shot in the morning. Thanks.

Arris

Yeah, all Sysinternals Tools are great to examine the working of your system and to find out more information about any problem. I also use them very regularly! :geek:

Just bought the Windows Internals Fifth Edition book which is written by Mark Russinovich who also made most of the Sysinternals Tools. I hope it will arrive soon (or not because my homework for school will suffer from it :P).

Anyway, I hope you can find out what the problem is! 😉

Anonymous

Yeah, all Sysinternals Tools are great to examine the working of your system and to find out more information about any problem. I also use them very regularly! :geek:

Just bought the Windows Internals Fifth Edition book which is written by Mark Russinovich who also made most of the Sysinternals Tools. I hope it will arrive soon (or not because my homework for school will suffer from it :P).

Anyway, I hope you can find out what the problem is! 😉

I looked at some of the other stuff there, and I think the BSOD screensaver has hmmmm, many uses 😎

Anonymous

I looked at some of the other stuff there, and I think the BSOD screensaver has hmmmm, many uses 😎

I am facing the same problem here. Windows Server 2008 r2 I can not get the themes to work. I get Your system administrator has disabled launching of the Display Control Panel.
                  Please, someone helpe me.

Anonymous

I am facing the same problem here. Windows Server 2008 r2 I can not get the themes to work. I get Your system administrator has disabled launching of the Display Control Panel.
                    Please, someone helpe me.

Arris

The following steps should work, otherwise try to find out what the problem is using Sysinternals Process Monitor as described above:
                      Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc, navigate to User ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesControl PanelDisplay and set Disable the Display Control Panel to Not configured or Disabled.

The HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesSystem key in the registry (Start -> Run -> regedit) should now not contain a DWORD value NoDispCPL or have that one with value 0. To apply the new settings reboot your system or run the command GPUpdate /Force in a Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd).

Anonymous

The following steps should work, otherwise try to find out what the problem is using Sysinternals Process Monitor as described above:
                        Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc, navigate to User ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesControl PanelDisplay and set Disable the Display Control Panel to Not configured or Disabled.

The HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPoliciesSystem key in the registry (Start -> Run -> regedit) should now not contain a DWORD value NoDispCPL or have that one with value 0. To apply the new settings reboot your system or run the command GPUpdate /Force in a Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd).

Viewing 12 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.