Direct (thinking 8 compatibility)

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Miscellaneous Direct (thinking 8 compatibility)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I am trying to watch videos using itunes for my iphone. My problem is that when i watch the video its very choppy and un-watchable. After looking around i think that it could be the fact that server 2008 doesn’t have directx 8, but that’s just a hunch.

I blame iTunes… 😈

Nothing to do with DirectX 8 being missing, of this I am certain. What you are thinking of is “DirectShow” which yes, is a component of DirectX, but there is nothing DirectX8/9/XP can do better than DirectX10/Vista/2008 in regards to DirectShow – everything is there and in fact faster.

I think it’s either a flaw in iTunes, or a codec issue. If it is a High-Definition file, make sure you have a fast PC and/or decent hardware acceleration.

EDIT: Found this article at http://www.winvistaclub.com/g2.html and it seems that iTunes has nothing to do with DirectShow and uses Quicktime to render instead. So it literally has nothing to do with DirectX, it’s just using a simple overlay mixer to make it actually appear, while QuickTime handles everything under the hood. So I guess i correct my first statement to something else…

I blame Quicktime… 😈

In that article, it’s not the first time i’ve read this – Apple iTunes/Quicktime are less stable on Windows than on OSX! Ah well… All i can suggest is try Windows Media Player to see if it is still very choppy. Then at least you know if it’s a Quicktime Decoder issue or something else – and I may be able to help further =)

Also, is the video hi-def?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.