Dialup (!) issue

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Miscellaneous Dialup (!) issue

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,

Yes, I know how strange topic sounds, but I still must use dialup from time to time…

Anyway, I have two dialup connections – one is 3G phone over Bluetooth, other one is regular 56k modem 😎
      Yesterday, after powering up my laptop, i found both connections gone, dissappeared. “No big deal, I’ll create them again”, thought I, but when trying to create a new connection, i got message “Windows cannot find any modems”. So I checked Device manager, and both Motorola v92 modem, and bluetooth modem were there, working properly. Even tried reinstalling driver, just in case, but no luck.

So i clicked on “Diagnose network connections” to find out that diagnostic service is not running, and cannot be started. It says:

Services

The Diagnostic Policy Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

I am dumbfounded here, I really have no idea what has caused this. Yesterday morning, it worked. Yesterday evening, no. The only change in last few days was installation of new virtual machine (windows 7 😎 ), and mapping of guestserial port to host COM 3 (dialup modem).

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Arris

If I look at the list of services (Start -> Run -> services.msc) at this PC I see the Diagnostic Policy Service with Startup Type Automatic and Status Started so it should run even when you don’t directly use it. You can try to find out why the service directly stops after starting it by taking a look at the Applications log in the Event Viewer (Start -> Run -> eventwvr.msc). Maybe you can find more information about that problem there.

One more thing you can try is to map the guest serial port to an other COM port at the host machine so at least the COM port you want to use isn’t locked or something like that.

Hope this pushes you into the right direction. I can’t think of any other things to try/solutions for this weird problem at the moment…

@Arris wrote:

You can try to find out why the service directly stops after starting it by taking a look at the Applications log in the Event Viewer (Start -> Run -> eventwvr.msc).

Well, thats where another problem starts…

Event Viewer
        Event Log service is unavailable. Verify that the service is running.

@Arris wrote:

One more thing you can try is to map the guest serial port to an other COM port at the host machine so at least the COM port you want to use isn’t locked or something like that.

First thing I have tried – I removed the virtual serial port, but no help…

Arris

Sounds like a really screwed up installation. You can try to find out using Sysinternals Process Monitor what’s wrong when starting the service. As a filter add: Process Name | is | svchost.exe | then | include, but maybe it’s still a lot of data you ‘ll see because lots of services are running under the svchost process.

Another possibility is to use the Last Known Good Configuration (advanced) option in the boot menu. To get there press repeatedly the F8 key on your keyboard before you see the Windows logo when booting up your pc.

If that all doesn’t work, I suggest a reinstallation because when even the Event Log service refuses to start, there is really something wrong.

Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.