Dell Precision M6500 Freezes Randomly

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Hardware Compatibility Dell Precision M6500 Freezes Randomly

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,

I have a new Dell Precision M6500 which I’ve converted to Windows 2008 R2. I’ve done this before on two Precision M6400s.

The system locks up regularly. No events are written to the event log, nor does there seem to be consistency. I’ve tried running it without the battery and have monitored the core temperature, and all seems normal.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? Thanks.

Steven

Any joy resolving this one? I’ve got a new m6500 (2x8GB ram, i7) and the same problem just cropped up after restoring a Hyper-V VM and remoting to it. Everything was stable yesterday during the system build, although I did enable the Desktop Experience feature and start the Themes service yesterday afternoon. Most of the Win7 x64 Dell drivers have been installed on the host and the minimal virtualisation bits have been flipped at the BIOS level (VT).

Anonymous

Any joy resolving this one? I’ve got a new m6500 (2x8GB ram, i7) and the same problem just cropped up after restoring a Hyper-V VM and remoting to it. Everything was stable yesterday during the system build, although I did enable the Desktop Experience feature and start the Themes service yesterday afternoon. Most of the Win7 x64 Dell drivers have been installed on the host and the minimal virtualisation bits have been flipped at the BIOS level (VT).

Same issue here.

Dell M6500, Dual Quad Core i7, 16 gb Ram, dual 256GB SSD.
        Left the OEM Win7x64 build on the drive one.
        Installed W2K8R2 with Hyper-V, desktop experinece, and IIS on the 2nd drive.
        So, no sharing of partitions.

As long as I am not in hyper-v in anyway this random system lockup does not occur.

I do not sping too much time on the Win7x64 side of this, as that is not the reason I got this system. I left it there for driver comparison, troubleshooting from a differnt OS and the like.

Once in HV, wiht any guest running this lock randomaly occurs as stated, butI also get BSODs randomly with starting or closing Hyper-V or just sitting in HV guests.

I also have a Lenovo T61P, Dual Core T7500 / 2.2ghz and 8GB RAM and dual internal 500GB FHD 72000RPM with a Stand alone W2K8R2 Installed with Hyper-V, desktop experinece, and IIS.
        I have not experienced any of the issues on my T61P that I have on my DM6500. The DM6500 is a more perfromant system (well, when it is running), than the T61P, but the regular full system lock ups and HV guests BSOD is really dissapointing.

Lastly… I did contact Dell support and quote…
        ///
        Server 08 is not a supported Operating system in this portable.
        ///

So, we, who are trying to use this as technical engineers, or a W2K8 learning device, virtualization and all, are already out of support as this config is not supported by Dell as per the the above Dell Pro Support engineer. I was suprised to hear this.

So, we are on our own.

What is really suprising is that they would take this postion with such a high performance device.
        I know vendors must take a position, but they should at least state this in their advertising, demos and literature, to prevent us from making assumptions and spinning our wheels on this effort.

Now, I continue to toil away at this device to see if I can resolve it, but it is really becoming a chore.

Anonymous

Same issue here.

Dell M6500, Dual Quad Core i7, 16 gb Ram, dual 256GB SSD.
          Left the OEM Win7x64 build on the drive one.
          Installed W2K8R2 with Hyper-V, desktop experinece, and IIS on the 2nd drive.
          So, no sharing of partitions.

As long as I am not in hyper-v in anyway this random system lockup does not occur.

I do not sping too much time on the Win7x64 side of this, as that is not the reason I got this system. I left it there for driver comparison, troubleshooting from a differnt OS and the like.

Once in HV, wiht any guest running this lock randomaly occurs as stated, butI also get BSODs randomly with starting or closing Hyper-V or just sitting in HV guests.

I also have a Lenovo T61P, Dual Core T7500 / 2.2ghz and 8GB RAM and dual internal 500GB FHD 72000RPM with a Stand alone W2K8R2 Installed with Hyper-V, desktop experinece, and IIS.
          I have not experienced any of the issues on my T61P that I have on my DM6500. The DM6500 is a more perfromant system (well, when it is running), than the T61P, but the regular full system lock ups and HV guests BSOD is really dissapointing.

Lastly… I did contact Dell support and quote…
          ///
          Server 08 is not a supported Operating system in this portable.
          ///

So, we, who are trying to use this as technical engineers, or a W2K8 learning device, virtualization and all, are already out of support as this config is not supported by Dell as per the the above Dell Pro Support engineer. I was suprised to hear this.

So, we are on our own.

What is really suprising is that they would take this postion with such a high performance device.
          I know vendors must take a position, but they should at least state this in their advertising, demos and literature, to prevent us from making assumptions and spinning our wheels on this effort.

Now, I continue to toil away at this device to see if I can resolve it, but it is really becoming a chore.

I installed the hotfix described in KB975530 and it fixed my problems (also, after reseting the power settings to basic). I know the hotfix hasn’t worked for everyone facing this issue but definitely worth a try!

Anonymous

I installed the hotfix described in KB975530 and it fixed my problems (also, after reseting the power settings to basic). I know the hotfix hasn’t worked for everyone facing this issue but definitely worth a try!

Just came across this thread as I am researching some of the issues involved in installing hyper-v for a dev env on a Dell M6500 (assuming dell ever gets it ready – they accidently charged my credit card 6 times at a whopping $6600 US a piece :O)

There seems to be issues with hyper-threading and VMs for the extreme quad core, moving VMs from one physical machine to another, and nVidia drivers. Disabling hyper-threading, rebuildingreconfiguring VMs, and downgrading to VGA drivers seems to work. See http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/w7performance/thread/80dd6c15-76b7-4534-b691-3e3a37ffad75

I haven’t done any of this so no warranties…Just saw the thread and thought it might save someone some billable time 🙂

Anonymous

Just came across this thread as I am researching some of the issues involved in installing hyper-v for a dev env on a Dell M6500 (assuming dell ever gets it ready – they accidently charged my credit card 6 times at a whopping $6600 US a piece :O)

There seems to be issues with hyper-threading and VMs for the extreme quad core, moving VMs from one physical machine to another, and nVidia drivers. Disabling hyper-threading, rebuildingreconfiguring VMs, and downgrading to VGA drivers seems to work. See http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/w7performance/thread/80dd6c15-76b7-4534-b691-3e3a37ffad75

I haven’t done any of this so no warranties…Just saw the thread and thought it might save someone some billable time 🙂

This problem with the M6500 is going on for long time. There’s a post on Dell Forum, please join us and reply there if you have the same issue with the M6500 freeze / Halt / bluescreen / USB issue.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19336090/19743938.aspx

Anonymous

This problem with the M6500 is going on for long time. There’s a post on Dell Forum, please join us and reply there if you have the same issue with the M6500 freeze / Halt / bluescreen / USB issue.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19336090/19743938.aspx

Viewing 10 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.