Custom Logonscreen Background

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 Wish List Progress Custom Logonscreen Background

Viewing 62 reply threads
  • Author
      Arris

Description: Use an other background in stead of the default dark green/blue background.

Tips
        [s:3hih0krf]- sodaxp: I've read about a program (LoginStudio by Stardock) but in my machine it doesn't work. If some of you guys knows how to change it manually, I appreciate to share with me that info.[/s:3hih0krf]

Solution
        Use the athui.dll file from Vista SP0 (Vista without any Servicepacks installed). This solution works for both the x86 and x64 architecture of Windows Server 2008. More info here by JonusC. x64 athui.dll here from kle89. After replacing the athui.dll file you can customize your Logonscreen using for example Vista Visual Master.

UPDATE:
        Added an article in the Manual about this: Custom Logonscreen Background. Credits to all people in this topic who made this possible! :geek:

warning: read the whole post before taking any actions!
        Here is how to change the background:
        Download Resource Hacker
        Open C:WindowsSystem32imageres.dll with resource hacker
        Navigate to “IMAGE” from the left menu and you will see all of the available versions of the logon screen:

5031: 1280x1024
        5032: 1280x960
        5033: 1024x768
        5034: 1600x1200
        5035: 1440x900
        5036: 1920x1200
        5037: 1280x768
        5038: 1360x768
        5039: 1024x1280
        5040: 960x1280
        5041: 900x1440
        5042: 768x1280
        5043: 768x1360

UNfortunately, nothing is that easy ๐Ÿ™‚
        Looks like M$ disabled the background image completely so changing it isnt going to help.I looked in the registry and usually the syntax for using images from imageres.dll is “imageres.dll,-XX” where XX is the number of the resource that is going to be used.I exported the entire registry database from Vista Ultimate but unfortunately there is no imageres.dll,-503* nor imageres.dll,-504* which means that the background isnt selected from the registry.I tried to replace shell32.dll and few other files directly from vista to 2008, but that doesnt change anything so there must be some other place where these settings are stored.I searched in the group policy editor too, but nothing found again.
        The only way to change the login screen i found was to copy tokens.dat from vista to 2008, but that leaves more problems than solves so there must be other way.
        Does anyone have any idea where these settings are stored?Apparently changing the tokens.dat have something to do with the whole thing, but im still not sure what..

Arris

Wow you have been busy with that one! I have looked into imageres.dll before with Microsoft Visual Studio and the wallpapers are there, but you can’t select anywhere to use them. But if you can when using the tokens.dat from a Windows Vista OS it looks like it is Licensing related like the Media Center application and I think like the games and some other Vista applications too.

Maybe it’s a possibility to start Sysinternals Process Monitor, press WindowsKey + L, re-logon, stop the monitor and watch what registry keys and files are read. I don’t know if in Vista the background of the logonscreen is directly changed after for example using Stardock’s LoginStudio, but if it does, it is possible that Windows reads some key to get the background it has to show. (This is just a thought, don’t know if it will work! ;))

This is a good idea – i was thinking of a way to see how the logon studio (doesnt) works ill check it out!
          edit: it will take some time to investigate the whole login process and eventually compare it between vista and 2008.
          Just as i suspected all logon studio do is to change the imageres.dll file and thats not enough for 2008, because looks like it doesnt even load the background from there.
          In the meantime if anyone is interested, here are the process monitor logs from vista and 2008.Test conditions:
          All possible processes and services stopped, started logging right before executing the switch user command, stopped logging after the completing of the operation.All other OS settings are unchanged.
          It is possible that the settings or files responsible for the change of the login background image may be loaded at other time – at boot for example, but logon studio uses the switch user command to show the changes so im assuming that the actions required to change the login screen background are loaded at that point too.
          btw the background color used in the login screen is “29 95 122”

@sawo wrote:

The only way to change the login screen i found was to copy tokens.dat from vista to 2008, but that leaves more problems than solves so there must be other way.
          Does anyone have any idea where these settings are stored?Apparently changing the tokens.dat have something to do with the whole thing, but im still not sure what..

As sawo said before, tokens.dat is the clue… I installed Windows Server 2008 x86 in VMware last month and I needed to activate it, and I found a crack which replace the original tokens.dat with one of Vista Ultimate (the crack is for Vista Ultimate). I got this screenshots after I reboot the virtual machine:

๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€
          But doing this has a really bad side effect, Server Manager is gone ๐Ÿ™ , and when you want to access it, you get Computer Management instead ๐Ÿ˜ฅ , so I don’t know what to do… I recently bought a new laptop and I installed Windows Server 2008 x64 on it, and I dream with the logon in the screenshots ๐Ÿ˜› , but without losing server functionality.

EDIT: Post removed, it was full of useless garbage ๐Ÿ˜›

hoak
          Participant

This one is driving me crazy too; I have a CRT and able to edit load screen colors offers the practical benefit less wear and tear on vulnerable fly-back transformers by avoiding the surges in gain that happen from full field color changes at boot…

Server 2003 offered editable registry entries under the key:

HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTControl PanelColors

Here’s a sample custom boot & shutdown screen color config that use a black background which makes for seamless boot process colors — ie. black from BIOS POST, to startup, and I have my Desktop set to black as well for an easy on the eyes and CRT fly-back transformer boot aesthetic:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTControl PanelColors]
            "ActiveBorder"="192 192 192"
            "ActiveTitle"="0 0 0"
            "AppWorkSpace"="192 192 192"
            "Background"="0 0 0"
            "ButtonAlternateFace"="181 181 181"
            "ButtonDkShadow"="0 0 0"
            "ButtonFace"="192 192 192"
            "ButtonHilight"="255 255 255"
            "ButtonLight"="192 192 192"
            "ButtonShadow"="128 128 128"
            "ButtonText"="0 0 0"
            "GradientActiveTitle"="0 0 0"
            "GradientInactiveTitle"="192 192 192"
            "GrayText"="128 128 128"
            "Hilight"="0 0 0"
            "HilightText"="255 255 255"
            "HotTrackingColor"="0 0 0"
            "InactiveBorder"="192 192 192"
            "InactiveTitle"="192 192 192"
            "InactiveTitleText"="0 0 0"
            "InfoText"="0 0 0"
            "InfoWindow"="255 255 225"
            "Menu"="192 192 192"
            "MenuText"="0 0 0"
            "Scrollbar"="192 192 192"
            "TitleText"="192 192 192"
            "Window"="192 192 192"
            "WindowFrame"="0 0 0"
            "WindowText"="0 0 0"

In Server 2003 these keys allow you to change your boot screen and even the ‘legacy‘ menu colors; but adding these settings to the registry doesnโ€™t effect anything in Server 2008โ€ฆ

Some have suggested that the boot screen assets are in binary boot files similar to Vista, but looking at the various candidates like ‘winlogon.exe‘ as some have suggested here donโ€™t appear to have the appropriate assets or entriesโ€ฆ

On another forum some suggested looking at ‘winload.exe.mui‘ but not being too swift with a binary editor I didn’t see anything in that file that looked like load or shutdown screen art assets or settings — maybe someone else could take a look?

๐Ÿ˜

I’ve done the change
            In fact, it is the authui.dll that effects, its location is X:WindowsSystem32authui.dll
            you can remove it with a early version, which makes you can change the background of the logon screen with some tools, such as Vistamaster, which is a Chinese tool to modify Vista and WS2008.
            here is the dll file
            [attachment=0:34acjvl7]authui.rar[/attachment:34acjvl7]

Arris

Great job hilton! :geek:

Works on the x86 edition of Windows Server 2008! In the x64 edition you ‘ll get a black screen, so don’t use it on that architecture.
              Where did you get this file from, or did you patch it yourself? Is there also a x64 available or is it possible to make one?

Thanks for your contribution! ๐Ÿ™‚

Arris

hoak
              Participant

WOOT! ๐Ÿ™‚

Uhm, cough… I’ma Noob… But what do you edit in this file to change colors? Hmm, found the English version of VistaMaster here, original Chinese version of VistaMaster here in case it has features not in the English version…

Haven’t had a chance to try either yet, as my Server 2008 system is offline at the moment, but I’m excited to give it a whirl and/or hear from someone that does if they get to it before I do — especially on the x64 edition!

๐Ÿ˜€

Arris

You can replace the athui.dll file in system32 by the version hilton posted if you are using Windows Server 2008 32bit. After that install and run VistaMaster and select your own background picture for the logonscreen.

I’ll create a tutorial in the manual if we figured this all out!

hoak
                  Participant

So we’d probably need a 64-bit version of the file from Vista to get this to fly on Server 2008 64-bit?

๐Ÿ˜

Arris

Nope, I tried that in a Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64 Virtual Machine with the athui.dll file from a clean installed Vista SP1 x64. That’s why I asked hilton how he patched or where he downloaded that file! ๐Ÿ™‚

I might be able to decrypt/document the authui.dll file from 2008 to eliminate the need of using an older version of the file….

…all in due time no promises lol. Get a copy of PE Explorer guys, great for hacking DLL’s and such [way better than Resource Tuner] even though it is commercial. But I love it.

How can I replace the authui.dll? The owner of this file is trusted installer which has full rights… All other user have limited rights and that can’t be changed…

The way I went, was booting Ubuntu Live CD and replaced the dll.

Can you help me?

Edit:

If you use the offered authui.dll you get a terrible looking mixture of grey, black and vista colorful background.

I tried the authui.dll of vista RTM and it worked and it looks very nice and vista-normal.

But does it slow down the pc?

You need to take ownership then apply your own permissions to the file… there are heaps of ways of doing this, sorry I wont list any here because its scary business ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

I dont think it would *slow down* the PC, but whenever you modify a SYSTEM DLL there is always a cause for convern on system stability and/or security. Hence why I said I would try and look at the official authui.dll file, reverse engineer it a lil bit, and see if i can do anything with it then make a patch tool rather than canibalizing the Windows NT 6 family of OS’s haha! ๐Ÿ˜€

highend
                      Participant

Hence why I said I would try and look at the official authui.dll file, reverse engineer it a lil bit, and see if i can do anything with it then make a patch tool rather than canibalizing the Windows NT 6 family of OS’s haha!

That would be great stuff! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

@JonusC

Did you get my pm?

Regards,
                        Highend

Sure did. Ill take a look at the DLL within the next few hours.

This is my first post here. Thanks everyone for their hard work on this one. I went through a lot of other ways, like editing the imageres.dll file, to try and change the background. For those who haven’t had any luck with it, I wrote up a little tutorial for my friend:

You will need to take ownership of the current authui.dll file which is located in โ€œC:WindowsSystem32โ€. You can right click on the file and go to properties. From there, click on the Security tab. Now select the advanced option menu. Select the Owner tab, press the Edit button, and select Other users or Groups. When the Select User or Group dialogue pops up, select Advanced, press Find Now, and select your user account. Press okay and then save all of the changes youโ€™ve made until you get back to the original Security tab in the properties of the authui.dll file. Select your user account under the first selection box, click on Edit, and give your account Full Control. Now save all of you chances to the security.

An easier and quicker way of doing this would be to open a command prompt (run as administrator), and type in the following:

######################
                        type takeown /f c:windowssystem32authui.dll
                        ######################

Once you have ownership of the file, rename the file to authui.old. Once that is complete, copy the authui.dll, that was posted earlier, to that directory. Now you should be able to use LogonStudio Vista. Another option would be to use VistaMaster. You can obtain VistaMaster by going to: http://www.vista123.net/vista-visual-master

Thanks everyone for their work on this one. As a side note, JonusC, have you had any progress editing that file? I’m going to look into modifying it over the weekend.

It would be great if it works on server 2008 x64 =)

@andrizzle

Sadly I havn’t even looked at it yet.

๐Ÿ˜

My ability to prioritize is HORRIBLE as of late, thanks to going and getting a “real” job out of boredom {more money i dont need GREAT} and I’m actually working on a commercial bit of software in my spare time ๐Ÿ™‚ but I am sorting out my computer STILL, too much junk on here! And I am going to get cracking on Windows 6/Vista/2008 fancy stuff as soon as im done cleaning ๐Ÿ™‚

@cshaobu057807 wrote:

nike shoes , jordan shoes which is better?

Ban this spammer ๐Ÿ˜ก or explode his computer through deep hacking wizardry :mrgreen: which is better?

Arris

@NewSpeak wrote:

@cshaobu057807 wrote:

nike shoes , jordan shoes which is better?

Ban this spammer ๐Ÿ˜ก or explode his computer through deep hacking wizardry :mrgreen: which is better?

Yeah, these spammers are here more often. The captcha‘s for the registration are too easy I think. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ However, I always try to IP Ban these spammers ASAP! ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Remiel wrote:

It would be great if it works on server 2008 x64 =)

You and me both, wonder what is needed to be modified in the authui file.

Hey guys,
                          I have been wanting to be able change the logon image for a while, and the authui.dll replacement does work for me. For that I want to thank all of you guys. The problem I had with that copy of the authui.dll file is that it leaves a opaque outline to your user image. I did a little search online and found this forum posting:
                          http://www.aeroxp.org/board/lofiversion/index.php?t7545.html

Here they were trying to mod their logons for vista, and I just replaced that copy of authui.dll file and it gave me a near exact copy of the vista logon. It still allows you to run LogonVista as well. It Has been working on me, hopefully it wont crap out on me in the future.

Regards,

OK I recently reinstalled my copy of Server 2008, since I actually bought a copy instead of using a bugged-out pir@ted version lol, but has anybody actually compared the graphic resources between Vista’s authui and 2008’s authui? Like – it could be just a matter of missing graphics? Oh surely someone has tried this lol.

Well Im drinking tonight and… pretter hammer-smacked right now… but im still installing all my programs and junk but will get cracking on my unfinished 2008 stuff again straight after – starting with a look at this DLL =)

Wow this actually works. Thanks.

Any news about a working x86-64 DLL ?

:geek: ๐Ÿ˜€

I am testing authui.dll on VM with Server 2008 x64. but no effect that does)))

I tried to replace two files: authui.dll from system32 and sysWOW64 folders from vista x64.. no change
                          I tried authui.dll for server 2008 x32 and it left me black logon screen)) by the way snapshots may be very very helpful in such situations ๐Ÿ˜€

and what file plays the windows logo animation at startup in vista? I tried to activate server 2008 with my vista’s key and I got both startup animation and logon screen from vista. so, these resources are avaliable in server 2008 by default.
                          these two things make the difference between vista and server 2008 graphical interface.. hope there’s a chance to enable them in server 2008 ๐Ÿ™‚

p.s. I even tried to replace resources in authui.dll using HEX editor and it killed my logon screen and pushed me to last snapshot)))

nice work out – but damn that it does not work properly ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

This is in regard to the authui.dll that hilton shared with us, but didn’t tell us where he got it from… I have been trying to figure out what the difference is that allows the mod to work. Firstly though, the authui.dll file from Server 2008 is per-byte identical to the authui.dll from Vista SP1. Here is what I found on the modified authui.dll file…

EDIT: Found branding. “This Logon was created by iSoftech a.k.a Yusuff for Leopard Skin. (c) 2007 iSoftech .”

– It is from Vista without SP1 [version is 6.0.6000.x instead of 6.0.6001.x] which could cause issues for Server 2008 [because they are all Vista SP1 equivalent system files]
                          – Resources 11200, 11300 and 11400 under BITMAP are added – it appears to be an alternative [better IMO] icon for the Accessibility Settings that usually appears bottom-left corner of the logon screen. [see attatchment 01]
                          – Resources 1700x under IMAGE, which is the ‘glowing vista orb’ animation that appears before the logon screen, is modded to an Apple/Macintosh icon. So this DLL was probably taken from some kind of “OSX Makeover for Vista”. Couldn’t be bothered investigating, no point. [See attatchment 02]
                          – MUI resource is different in both filesize and content – unknown whether it is a SP1 change or a mod. As it is binary data, I still need to investigate what exactly the difference is.
                          – Both of the UIFILE resources are different. I have a good feeling that something in here is what we need to change to get logon screens in 2008… or at least I hope, as they are just massive text files as opposed to unreadable binary data =)
                          – Version data resource is different, as stated in my first point
                          – In the WEVT_TEMPLATE resource, around the header, the modified file has for some reason 4 bytes modifed to FF FF FF FF instead of the 01 00 00 90 from Vista SP1. Absolutely no idea why this is the case, although usually hackers/crackers use FF-byte sequences to brand files to show people like me/us that “yes this file has been modified and is not the original”, usually in a padded data area [which is never read by the system] for obvious reasons.

Anyway i’m looking into this right now, hopefully I can make a one-click-patch-EXE that will turn your authui.dll from Server 2008 into a modified one that will be version/future proof [with a seek and replace method of patching]. I’ll let you guys know. Peace.

[attachment=1:iaxc0uzi]attatchment 01.jpg[/attachment:iaxc0uzi]
                          [attachment=0:iaxc0uzi]attatchment 02.jpg[/attachment:iaxc0uzi]

SOLUTION

Use the authui.dll from Vista SP0; that is, a non-SP1 version. It is identified with version 6.0.6000.x as opposed to 6.0.6001.x but I have found different revisions of it [what the x stands for in version number]. I downloaded one from a logon screen mod which included the ‘original’ Vista one, labelled as 6.0.6000.16386 which is the same version as the Leopard modded one hilton posted. However, the one from my Vista DVD is labelled as 6.0.6000.16513 which is higher/newer, but still not SP1. Must of been updated in a hotfix somewhere.

I wish we didn’t have to resort to using an older version of the file, but I don’t think we have a choice and this is why I think so. Windows Server 2008 RTM is infact SP1, there is no such thing as Server 2008 RTM without SP1. Also, the authui.dll file from Vista SP1 is identical to the Server 2008 one. So why i think this works is because the SP1/Build 6001 version of the file has extra code that allows it to be aware of it being executed on a Server OS, but Vanilla/SP0/Build 6000 version was created before Server 2008 was even released or near completion, and as such is not aware or does not have the code to make it all like “oh lets check if it’s server or vista and show the right graphic for it” because it just assumes it’s Vista, as there only was Vista out at the time.

Make sense? :geek:

So easy solution – replace your authui.dll file with the Vista 6000/SP0 version of authui.dll and backdrop image will work 100%, I have provided my version of it attatched from my DVD [v6.0.6000.16513] incase you don’t have a Vista DVD. This file version might be newer than the one you already have too. Of course, there is always a risk of system malfunction because we are reverting to, technically, a non-server DLL file. But I think the authui.dll file is not critical to server/OS functions perse – it’s not like we are replacing a system driver or explorer.exe ๐Ÿ™„ but with that said, I have already made the change to my system, and we should keep this thread open so all of us can report possible problems that may be related to this. Specifically, remote login and other network authentication issues, and other things to do with logon/authentication. I don’t see it as likely, but who knows hey…

…pretty sure authui is just a visual/graphic/resource library for the logon screen anyway and probably isn’t even read/loaded unless locking/login/logoff is performed or requested…. anyway enough of my ramblings!

Maybe sawo could put this in the workstation converter too. Anywho, here’s my file – unmodified original from my Vista DVD – that returns the graphic BG of the logon screen. Programs like logon studio and such should work now – will test shortly to confirm. Enjoy and peace!

EDIT: THIS IS FOR 32-BIT ONLY. See later in the thread for the 64-bit method!

It doesn’t work on x86-x64 S2k8 ๐Ÿ˜ *gaah* ๐Ÿ˜€

It works 100% for me, x86. I tested it in a brand-new fresh install of Server 2008 Standard 32-bit in VMWare, and now have it working on my real install =)

No idea how to get it working on x64, but i’m sure someone here who actually knows x64 can replicate what i’ve done?

If you are running x86, grab this zip file, extract to a new folder [anywhere] and run Do.bat – it will take ownership of authui.dll and replace the file with the new one after a reboot. The original will be saved to authui.dll.bak [in the same system32 folder].

FYI, it uses simple batch with the help of an AutoIt script to replace the system file at reboot; it’s an uncompiled au3 file [with the AutoIt3.exe interpreter included so you don’t have to have AutoIt installed] so you can use the code for your own tools if you wish =)

Hope this gets it working for you, otherwise i’m seriously halucinating.

[attachment=0:12hpwnev]Vista Logon Screen for Server 2008.zip[/attachment:12hpwnev]

Oh and P.S. – LogonStudio Vista does work for me, but I cannot restore the original logon after changing it. Uninstalling LogonStudio still didn’t fix it! Stupidly I didn’t backup my imageres.dll file ๐Ÿ˜ฏ but luckily I have a VMWare HDD image that I can just mount and grab the original one =D I don’t know why it can’t “restore” the original and I really couldn’t be bothered, but just be aware of this!

I have done some research on this issue in the past as I would love to use LogonStudioVista with x64 WS2008 but have failed so far.

I think what you may be running up a gainst is WIndows Resource Protection (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa382503.aspx), which in short prevents any changes to a protected list of installed programs, which this dll is one of. I have experienced replacing the file (even under safe boot), and finding the system quickly replaces it back! You need to use a particular set of APIs, that for example Windows Installer uses, to make a file change stick.

I concluded to myself this was the issue, there in fact may be even more robust protection under Windows Server 2008 x64 but I can’t remember now as its been 6 months since I researched this.

Good luck if this helps you make some progress!

@awalt wrote:

I have done some research on this issue in the past as I would love to use LogonStudioVista with x64 WS2008 but have failed so far.

I think what you may be running up a gainst is WIndows Resource Protection (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa382503.aspx), which in short prevents any changes to a protected list of installed programs, which this dll is one of. I have experienced replacing the file (even under safe boot), and finding the system quickly replaces it back! You need to use a particular set of APIs, that for example Windows Installer uses, to make a file change stick.

I concluded to myself this was the issue, there in fact may be even more robust protection under Windows Server 2008 x64 but I can’t remember now as its been 6 months since I researched this.

Good luck if this helps you make some progress!

Yeah Windows XP has a similar thing called System File Protection (SFP) where if it detects a changed dll it grabs the original out of the hidden dllcache folder and replaces it pretty much straight away… for some reason they removed it in Vista/2008 x86, maybe UAC was the replacement, but it looks like x64 has it instead now… strange.

I really should get my hands on an x64 copy, now that I can run it, to try and figure this 64-bit trouble everyone has…

EDIT: This guy has written a detailed post on how to resource hack DLL’s in Vista x64, namely how to bypass Windows File Protection [WFP] which apparently is in x86 (but I didn’t have to turn it off to replace it!?!)

http://www.joejoe.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3141

Hopefully that helps.

EDIT2: Basically that guy is just replacing DLL’s from his x64 Vista while in a x86 Vista [dual boot], doing it to both the system32 DLL and the SysWOW64 dll. This is how I remember it exactly aswell, so I don’t see what the problem is. If you can’t install a second x86 Vista/XP to replace the DLL’s in, check out BartPE at http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Someone must have a way to replace x64 DLL’s more easily. Sadly I can’t find one.

Hmm If i choose a x86 DLL i think i get the same effect on bootup: Black Screen and only visible mousecursor – nothing more yet.

But i can test it again with one of the x86 files from here ๐Ÿ™‚

@Remiel wrote:

Hmm If i choose a x86 DLL i think i get the same effect on bootup: Black Screen and only visible mousecursor – nothing more yet.

But i can test it again with one of the x86 files from here ๐Ÿ™‚

Try and get authui.dll from x64 version of Vista, both the System32 one and SysWOW64 ones. Replace the Server 2008 ones with those – backup your originals beforehand of course as you know [saying that incase a newbie reads this post].

But it’s important to use the authui.dll(s) from a non SP1 release of Vista, that is what allows it to work!

But we still don’t get the startup Orb. As Arris said though, i think the only way to do it is to somehow make Server 2008 “think” it’s Vista. That would be amazing, especially for compatibility. I’ve actually found leads on this, that DOESN’T require the vista tokens.dat [which is 100% illegal], it’s related to the logon module [unsure if it’s winlogon.exe yet]. If it works, every program that checks OS version will see your PC as a workstation edition rather than server.

EDIT: Changing Server 2008 to an NT Workstation version has already been done. But it’s considered warez, and is dangerous. It’s done with the same method I was thinking of, and is indeed a mod of winlogon.exe… i’m not going to use it because of all the warnings [completely breaking your system, not just installs but SID’s aswell, making all data unreadable]. Bummer. Nevermind.

uff thats a problem, I get one x86-x64 authui.dll SP0 from this topic. and this file runs now in my wow64 folder successfully – can anyone send me a x86-64 authui.dll SP0 for the system32 folder ?

Thats very confusing, because in the text there is no description for which folder the x64-86 file is =)

@Backup:

yeaha I always rename the original files to authui.ori and if the “modded” file messed up the system I use the recovery console ” cmd ” in the non gui part of Longhorn hihi :geek:

@Remiel wrote:

uff thats a problem, I get one x86-x64 authui.dll SP0 from this topic. and this file runs now in my wow64 folder successfully – can anyone send me a x86-64 authui.dll SP0 for the system32 folder ?

I would, but I don’t have the 64-bit copy of Vista =( thinking of dow…. buying it just so I can do this kind of stuff, and actually help your x64 guys out better… sorry… hopefully someone notices though! I’ll help you out though…

Could somebody share a system32authui.dll file from 64-bit Vista WITHOUT SP1? NOT the SysWOW64 one?

@Remiel wrote:

Thats very confusing, because in the text there is no description for which folder the x64-86 file is =)

My bad…. I only talk about x86 most of the time as I thought most people are on 32-bit OS – but it seems most of the active users here are on x64??? Hmm…

@Remiel wrote:

yeaha I always rename the original files to authui.ori and if the “modded” file messed up the system I use the recovery console ” cmd ” in the non gui part of Longhorn hihi :geek:

I change mine to .BAK =) and I have tri-boot between 2K8, XP and OSX, so don’t need a recovery console anymore.. but always used to have it installed before Vista came… how do you get Longhorn recovery console installed??? Or do you mean boot from the DVD? Because I noticed they took that out… you could install it as a boot option for XP, now it’s gone =(

I use my Longhorn DVD on Startup and after it loads his sysfiles from DVD I use the recovery options for the momentary installed os ” recovery console ” which means to start the intern CMD to get access to the windows install dir. so I can re-rename the files again to the originals without any trouble =)

( aprox. 4min and I can re-use my installed OS ) hehe

no stress, trouble or second OS =)

anyone have progress with x64?

as you have read: we need x86-64 non sp1 files from vista, and no one has this ready =)

ah gotcha, i may have one sitting around somewhere, ill look for it tonight.
                          you guys would need the 6.0.6000.x version to work with right?

I would, but I don’t have the 64-bit copy of Vista =( thinking of dow…. buying it just so I can do this kind of stuff, and actually help your x64 guys out better… sorry… hopefully someone notices though! I’ll help you out though…

Could somebody share a system32authui.dll file from 64-bit Vista WITHOUT SP1? NOT the SysWOW64 one?

๐Ÿ˜€

i found the disk
                          anyway i can get the authui.dll without installing vista??
                          I found the manifest file if that helps.

uff I dunno โ“

Here you guys go, works for x64!

back up old authuis, place these in, run vistamaster, all set. ๐Ÿ˜€

Does it work Remiel?

For me it does.
                          Thanks

damnit for sure! it works on my sk8 german server.

Thank you very much

Yeaha

So let’s just recap….

Do we have working x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit) methods for custom logon screen backgrounds now? By using the SP0 (before SP1) versions of Vista’s authui.dll?

We have confirmed working x86 this way, but do we have success for 64-bit Server 2008?

Yes we have…

Screen:

Nice stuff! Thanks for uploading those x64 files kle89! Sawo should implement this in the workstation converter. (Now replying on the thread “Windows Server 2008 Workstation Converter 1.2” to link to this one) =)

Hi guys,

It seems I’m the only one, who can’t change the background.
                          I took control over authui.dll and copied the new one which we’re
                          posted here. I tried Logonstudio and VistaMaster but still it won’t work.
                          Did I forgot something or have you guys any suggestions.

Sander van Steenbergen

@Sandervs wrote:

Hi guys,

It seems I’m the only one, who can’t change the background.
                          I took control over authui.dll and copied the new one which we’re
                          posted here. I tried Logonstudio and VistaMaster but still it won’t work.
                          Did I forgot something or have you guys any suggestions.

Sander van Steenbergen

1) If you are on x64, make sure you get both the System32authui.dll and the SysWOW64authui.dll files
                          2) Make sure you got the NON-SP1 versions (before SP1)
                          3) Restart your PC….
                          4) ….I don’t know what else to suggest.

Please read back and see what we’ve said, in particular:

Howto, information, and x86 (32-bit) download:
                          viewtopic.php?f=11&t=296&start=30#p3263

64-bit alternative files:
                          viewtopic.php?f=11&t=296&start=40#p3478

The problem is that I’ve done that all, so thanks for the help, but if
                          there are more suggestions I hope to hear that soon

hoak
                          Participant

What I’d really like to be able to do is configure Server 2008 to have a Server 2003 legacy style login screen like this:

What I especially like about the legacy login screen is you can change the background color to black, which is seamless with the BIOS POST screen and your desktop (if it’s black too) which is very easy on the eyes (and your flyback transformer if ya have a CRT).

The legacy boot option (it is an option in XP and 2003) also appear to boot faster then the incongrous artsy login lash-up..

โ“ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Our company is running Windows Server 2008 Standard build 6002 ( SP2 )

And i try everything that has been told on this form but it won’t work. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
                            Is this build of windows server protected against this change?? ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Tim

@ Hoak

Take a look at this LINK

Not exactly what you are looking for, but it explains in more detail how to use the domain login in WS2K8.

It also explains that GINA [the old GUI login for 2003] is not used anymore. One of the reasons the 2003 login can not be applied.

hoak
                            Participant

Thank you Eun-Hjzjined, that’s exactly the information I was looking for; disappointed of course just like other feller, but that definately settles all my questions.

๐Ÿ˜‰

@tim20 wrote:

Our company is running Windows Server 2008 Standard build 6002 ( SP2 )

And i try everything that has been told on this form but it won’t work. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
                              Is this build of windows server protected against this change?? ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Tim

Service Pack 2 for Vista and Server 2008 is still in Beta, this method is untested on SP2 only on SP1 (there is no ‘SP0’ so-to-speak for WS2008)

@kle89 wrote:

Here you guys go, works for x64!

back up old authuis, place these in, run vistamaster, all set. ๐Ÿ˜€

Just wanted to say that I had to do this again after updating to Service Pack 2 (RTM). Other than that it works without a hitch. Thanks!

Viewing 62 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.