Creatin a Hotspot

Forums Operating Systems Windows Server 2008 R2 Miscellaneous Creatin a Hotspot

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Hi all, great guide http://www.win2008r2workstation.com I followed easily and am now up and running, my only problem is as follows

I have two wifi cards in my system, the first one i use to connect to my wireless routeur to acces internet and my second one i would like to use it to create a hotspot to share my internet with the bar that is below my flat.

I have created a adhoc network on my second card and have given it the name “free internet” and there is no encyption so people are free to connect as they wish but whenever somebody connects to this adhoc network they cant seem to get any internet access. Is tere a way so that when people connect to this network windows automatically gives them the correct ip and dns adresses so they can have internet access.

Also i would like to be able to controll the bandwidth people have, so one person isnt using all the bandwidth and making the internet slow for other people.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for a greazt forum

PS, in mcdonalds there is free wifi and people accept a agreement on a forced webpage berfore they are allowed to acces the web, how could i do this with server 2008 ?

Mat

To do the agreement thing, you need to redirect all dns queries to the agreement page until after they agree.

Anonymous

To do the agreement thing, you need to redirect all dns queries to the agreement page until after they agree.

Arris

To allow people to use your WIFI card to access the Internet, follow the steps at the following page: Bink.nu – COOL: Windows 7 as an WiFi AccessPoint (updated). As an addition to this page you might have to configure the DHCP server to use your local system as DNS server, but first read the text below.

Now, if you want the users to click an Accept button on a webpage first, you should use DNS redirection as JingoFresh said. However, this is easier said than done. Because Windows uses a global DNS cache for all users you will have to find a 3rd party DNS server which can use different DNS settings for every DNS client (based on source IP). After the client has clicked the Accept button at the (php/asp(x)) page a command should be executed which disables the DNS redirection for the specified source IP and so allows the people to access the Internet.

I know I didn’t explain this very concrete, but that’s because I never tried to do this. I have only used my pc as a gateway (access point) before, so at least that part works. 🙂

Good luck and if you got it working, tell us how you did it! 🙂

Anonymous

To allow people to use your WIFI card to access the Internet, follow the steps at the following page: Bink.nu – COOL: Windows 7 as an WiFi AccessPoint (updated). As an addition to this page you might have to configure the DHCP server to use your local system as DNS server, but first read the text below.

Now, if you want the users to click an Accept button on a webpage first, you should use DNS redirection as JingoFresh said. However, this is easier said than done. Because Windows uses a global DNS cache for all users you will have to find a 3rd party DNS server which can use different DNS settings for every DNS client (based on source IP). After the client has clicked the Accept button at the (php/asp(x)) page a command should be executed which disables the DNS redirection for the specified source IP and so allows the people to access the Internet.

I know I didn’t explain this very concrete, but that’s because I never tried to do this. I have only used my pc as a gateway (access point) before, so at least that part works. 🙂

Good luck and if you got it working, tell us how you did it! 🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.