Create a ramdisk and speed up your computer

Forums General Guides Create a ramdisk and speed up your computer

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      hackerman1

Microsoft doesn´t offer any ramdiskprograms anymore.
        But there are several other programs available,
        one that will give a very fast ramdisk is the one from Softperfect, it can be installed without any problem on Windows Server,
        and it´s FREE which of course also is a bonus….

I have used it for about a year now and it´s working perfectly, I highly recommend it.
        I previously used another program, and I noticed an improved response after I switced to Softperpect´s ramdisk,
        my computer feels faster.

Softperfect Ramdisk: https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

Softperfect Ramdisk Manual: https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/manual/

Ramdisk performance test: http://www.overclock.net/t/1381131/r…up-and-testing

Softperfects´s ramdisk was one of the fastest in that test, and it´s FREE…;)

To speed up the computer put the tempfiles & browsercache on the ramdisk, it makes a BIG difference.
        When using the ramdisk primarily for the browsercache select FAT32 as the filesystem,
        because it gives better performance with a lot of small files.

To avoid problems when installing new software only move the tempfiles for the USER-account, not the ADMIN-account.
        Remember, always use a USER-account for “normal” work like surfing the web,
        only use the ADMIN-account when installing software or doing system maintenance.

Because if the ramdisk isn´t big enough you might get problems, installing some programs requires a restart,
        and they might need access to the tempfiles after a restart.
        Remember, if you don´t save the ramdisk when shutting down / restarting, the tempfiles are gone after the restart.

Keeping the tempfiles for the ADMIN-account at the default position (C:) avoids that problem,
        because even if you are using a USER-account when you install new programs,
        it´s the ADMIN-account that is used during the installation.
        Remember the UAC-prompt asking for the ADMIN-password…?

Move tempfiles

Control panel → System → Advanced system settings.

Move the browsercache

Firefox / Pale Moon: open a new tab, enter “about:config”, enter “browser.homepage.directory”

Opera: open a new tab, enter “opera:config#UserPrefs|CacheDirectory4”

change the drive-letter to the ramdisk

fx. “R:Firefox”

IE8: Tools → Internet options → Browsing history → Settings → Move folder, select the ramdisk

Google Chrome: right-click on the shortcut to Chrome → properties, in the target-window add “–disk-cache dir=”

if you also want to specify the size: add” –disk-cache-size=XX”

XX=size in MB

Example: “E:PROGRAM FILESGOOGLE CHROMEChromeApplicationchrome.exe” –disk-cache-dir=”R:chrome” –disk-cache-size=100

Note: I haven´t used Google Chrome for years so I don´t know if the instructions for it above are still correct.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.